10+ Year Old Account

pc no longer powering on

Hi guys I have a bit of an issue, I was playing wow last night when suddenly my computer powered off and wouldn't turn back on. The lights on my keyboard stayed on for a few minutes then they went off too and now nothing happens at all. Figuring it might have been the PSU I went out today and got a replacement. After installing it nothing has changed. No lights, no fans, nothing. Is my mobo gone? Or something else?

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Replacing pc parts is the last resort when troubleshooting pc issues.

To test your psu simply unplug the 24pin motherboard cable and use a paper clip to connect the green and black pins and power it on. This way you know if your psu at least operates and is able to at least supply the power.

Then what u need to look into is your motherboard. Could be dead but u should troubleshoot it first.

A few things u can try are clearing the cmos (resetting the bios) using the the jumper/button/or taking the battery for 30secs depending on what motherboard you have.

Then be sure that the 24pin power cable is connected as well as the 4/8 pin cpu power cable. And last but not least be sure that your front panel connectors for your case's power and reset buttons are properly connected on your motherboard.

Another thing to check to check is underneath the motherboard. Be sure you don't have any screws/mb raisers shorting the mb.

If you've done all this and still doesn't power on try powering the system on outside of your case.

You may have a dead motherboard.

Hard drive, video cards and cpu don't necessarily need to be installed in order for the motherboard to power on.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    try booting up without any memory modules installed

Deleted
    Take it to a repair shop. Really, if you have no experience with computers it's better to not try and fix it by plugging pins and whatnot to see what works and what doesn't.

However, if there was a power surge, there is a chance your motherboard is dead. Before you get a new one though, take the computer to a repair shop, it's safest thing to do. You should have done so before changing the PSU in fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    I followed the steps and also redid all of the cabling just to be sure and everything is up and running again. Thanks for the tips c0rnel. I tried the old one in another machine and nothing so guess it was fucked afterall.
    Last edited by Shruikah; 2012-11-22 at 02:22 PM.

Small tip on the PSUs, try not to go the cheapest route. Get a Bronze 80+ certificated. They have been tested and their volt does't flux that much. I have seen some extreem cases with none certified ones that actually shorted the whole computer and blew fuses in the house.