Deleted

Sisters laptop got locked out.

So earlier today my sister phoned me in tears and telling me that she broke her brand new laptop. I asked what happened, she told me that her 9 years old daughter clicked on a link after that laptop kind of froze. So she did a hard reboot and been welcomed by the screen asking her to send a text to certain number then they will unlock it. She has been smart enought not to send anything and wait untill i can get to her and see what can be done. So before i go off to her house, i never met a virus like that, will booting off an Linux LiveCD and launching an AV software that way help in killing the virus?

I would assume so. I have never encountered a virus like that as well. If all else fails, reformat and install windows. If your skilled enough with computers to use a live cd and antivirus software, im sure you could plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop and recover any important documents before nuking the HD.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

10+ Year Old Account
    she has a virus, its actually a rather common scam, some lock up the screen, some lock up the files

Spybot S&D helps prevent this from happening again. Their immunization feature is top-notch.

Free AVs only stop the infection once it has downloaded into your computer, if they detect it at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    she has a virus, its actually a rather common scam, some lock up the screen, some lock up the files
    Some versions encrypt files, some versions delete files. This is nasty shit. Keep the machine off, and boot either from the LinuxCD as planned or an USB-stick.

Deleted
    Linux Live CD + Cure It + cleaning the registery has done wonders, thanks guys :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kseux View Post
    Linux Live CD + Cure It + cleaning the registery has done wonders, thanks guys :P
    Make sure you have her install Ad Blocker, and some AV's. Then nothing like the freak accident with her daughter can happen again! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kseux View Post
    Linux is great for problems like this. You should of been able to also get into safe mode without a problem and scan/remove the virus then as another option for future problems.

Deleted
    Yeah, ive installed her Dr.Web, malwarebytes +ad blocker for firefox so i guess she's safe for now

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 07:00 AM ----------

BTW: an tip for yall:
    Always keep a cd or usb with memtest86, some sort of hdd checker, A/V like Cure It. Aswell as some sort of live cd, so when you need them all you need to do is get them from your drawer.

Oks, there might be an easy fix for this. First try to boot the laptop in safe mode and see if the program runs there, if it doesnt, do the following
    1. Click Start and in the searchbox type msconfig
    2. Navigate to startup tab and see if you see something running that got very much random character "xcrrjcx"
    3. If you fund this just click the box beside it to ensure it won't load.
    4. Restart computer and do a virus scan.

The program can be named update or similar also, but check the Manufacturer and Command, Usually these types of programes are located in C:\users\name\appdata\local\temp. Or such

10+ Year Old Account
    -deleted-
    Twoddle
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2012-11-22 at 01:53 PM.