Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Not going combat on those encounters just seems selfish to me. You'd be dragging your raid down.

On fights that are worth going combat for, combat will beat assassination whether or not you re-optimize your gear for the extra 2-5k dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be "unviable". Every class is viable for all the fights.

It's just not optimal.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by jtstormrage View Post
    Combat is unbeatable on Stone Guard because you have so much BF uptime.

However, especially if you are not willing to reforge and re-enchant and regem for it, and if you have a bad Combat weapon like me, Combat is pretty rubbish on Garalon.
    Very much the same for me, I pulled way more as assa on my second kill than I did as combat for my first kill with fully optimized combat reforges.

So without combat reforges it would have been even worse.

Can't speak about heroic yet on him though

I'm a muti Rogue, gemmed, geared and regorged for ASsasination..

If there's a cleave option like the dogs, I literally just swap weapons and spec to Combat, with no regemming/reforging and I destroy the rest of the raid DPS by a very large margin.

If it's a cleave fight, switch to combat.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by hihu View Post
    Very much the same for me, I pulled way more as assa on my second kill than I did as combat for my first kill with fully optimized combat reforges.

So without combat reforges it would have been even worse.

Can't speak about heroic yet on him though
    Does your raid not save legs for the best cleavers? You pretty much have to on heroic (and you had to prenerf normal too). My BF uptime is nearly 100% since my raid saves legs. I can't imagine Mut being better, especially since priority should just be given to your next best cleaver while you sit boss.

Deleted
    It's rather pointless to save legs only to up your personal epeen. Other cleavers and multidoters also greatly benefit from it.

Mut won't be better than Combat in the optimal theoric situation - both gear equal, etc. The gap is way smaller than what you might expect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Draigars View Post
    It's rather pointless to save legs only to up your personal epeen. Other cleavers and multidoters also greatly benefit from it.
    It's not for epeen, it's for raid DPS. Cleaving legs will give far more damage than just nuking each one down. Also note I said cleavers, so it wouldn't even be personal epeen if it were even about that at all.

I'll note my guild's first heroic kill was only 10k more raid DPS than your guild's first kill though. You still killed it a second faster, so I think we had some wasted damage on the last leg.

On topic, top Combat parses are ~20% higher than top Mut parses. The Combat ones are after the hotfix.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2012-11-24 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    If there's a cleave option like the dogs, I literally just swap weapons and spec to Combat, with no regemming/reforging and I destroy the rest of the raid DPS by a very large margin.
    I'm either doing something wrong or you don't raid with a fire mage because ours shits on me on cleave fights, with combat reforging.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    I'm either doing something wrong or you don't raid with a fire mage because ours shits on me on cleave fights, with combat reforging.
    You're doing something wrong or your Fire Mage gets really lucky a lot. Our Fire Mages never beat me on 2-target fights, but they should on 3-target ones (though I don't think there are any triple cleave fights this tier). Fire Mages seem to be closer than most other cleavers, but Combat is the king of 2-target cleaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Does your raid not save legs for the best cleavers? You pretty much have to on heroic (and you had to prenerf normal too). My BF uptime is nearly 100% since my raid saves legs. I can't imagine Mut being better, especially since priority should just be given to your next best cleaver while you sit boss.
    I was exagerating a bit of course saying I was doing way more as assa, I have been doing a little more that is all.
    It's important to also note that all of my items are mostly mastery and I didn't reenchant for combat (170 mastery on gloves), making it not really worth it for me to switch to combat if I wasn't at least reforging for it, which is not necessary in normal.

Obviously when I get there on heroic I might reconsider.

Did garalon where we had some melee also killing legs asap.

I did 60k as combat(29% leg), 85k as assassination(48% leg).

Oh wow. other dps were doing 90-110k though they're like 5-8 item levels and with epic weaps/chants while I still use windsong.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Using assasination when tanking cleaves is absolutely viable (at least on heroic). I'm doing about 100-110k dps tanking the fight and my legs also die quicker than combat (without AR of course).
    I survived 2010 Summer in Moscow without leaving city for a single day!

I do both of those fights (heroic for Stone Guard, normal Garalon) and I've ranked on both. I've played Garalon as combat past few weeks and Assassination tonight and I did roughly the same amount of dps in the end. Only half of my gear was gemmed and enchanted for Combat as I much prefer Assassination. In an ideal scenario yes Combat is probably better for both of them, but Assassination is viable on both.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

If you did roughly the same damage on Garalon, you are doing something pretty wrong as combat!

Deleted
    depends how well you manage your ruptures, 5 point rupture on target = switch to next one when you next reach 5cp and redirect a rupture on him and switch back/stay -> rupture on 2 targets -> double the 10 energy procs, if your at the point when you can keep the rupture ticking on both you might get close to combat due to the energy regen (when using a 2.6 MH as combat, a 1.8 will suck at combat) but still unlikely to be able to beat combat just closer than if your not juggling ruptures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    depends how well you manage your ruptures, 5 point rupture on target = switch to next one when you next reach 5cp and redirect a rupture on him and switch back/stay -> rupture on 2 targets -> double the 10 energy procs, if your at the point when you can keep the rupture ticking on both you might get close to combat due to the energy regen (when using a 2.6 MH as combat, a 1.8 will suck at combat) but still unlikely to be able to beat combat just closer than if your not juggling ruptures.
    It shouldn't keep up, no. I was trying to figure out wtf I was doing wrong the last time I pugged myself out for dogs and only ran 80k in 480 combat gear, rather than around 100k... and realized I was running combat with a dagger mainhand. Not only have I never felt that silly, but I only caught it because KS was <2% of my damage ><. In short, though, no, it really just can't keep up on a 100% cleave uptime fight. I don't run anywhere near 100k in assassination in 480 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    It shouldn't keep up, no. I was trying to figure out wtf I was doing wrong the last time I pugged myself out for dogs and only ran 80k in 480 combat gear, rather than around 100k... and realized I was running combat with a dagger mainhand. Not only have I never felt that silly, but I only caught it because KS was <2% of my damage ><. In short, though, no, it really just can't keep up on a 100% cleave uptime fight. I don't run anywhere near 100k in assassination in 480 gear.
    Huh? I run a dagger MH and do about 120k on dogs normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Huh? I run a dagger MH and do about 120k on dogs normal.
    Then you could be doing a lot more with a 2.6 MH. Unless the weapon damage on your dagger is higher than the weapon damage of a 2.6 you have, you should not use a dagger. This would mean you have a heroic dagger but only a 463 2.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Then you could be doing a lot more with a 2.6 MH. Unless the weapon damage on your dagger is higher than the weapon damage of a 2.6 you have, you should not use a dagger. This would mean you have a heroic dagger but only a 463 2.6.
    Cool, but that has nothing at all to do with my post. I dont have a 2.6 at all, hence I dont run with one.