Deleted

Warlock - Set bonus's over higher ilvl gear?

Hi guys,

I currently have heroic stoneguard gloves but got both the T14 gloves and T14 chest from RF last night..

Just wanted to know if any min/max experts could tell me if the 10% corruption dmg increase from the 2 piece set bonus is enough to counter the 483/502 ilvl difference.

I would suggest you simply sim it out ...

Use chardev.org and wowreforge.com to build the profiles and import them both in simcraft.
    Let simcraft run through different scenarios with at least 25k+ iterations. (1,2,3,x targets / no movement / heavy movement)

That would be the most accurate comparison you can get. Don't be afraid of using the tools.

Deleted
    http://www.askmrrobot.com try both and go with whatever gives you a higher number
    http://simulationcraft.org/ if you wanna be sure

But from my guess, go with set bonus.
    Last edited by mmoc55d78876ab; 2012-11-22 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    I would suggest you simply sim it out ...

Use chardev.org and wowreforge.com to build the profiles and import them both in simcraft.
    Let simcraft run through different scenarios with at least 25k+ iterations. (1,2,3,x targets / no movement / heavy movement)

That would be the most accurate comparison you can get. Don't be afraid of using the tools.
    As he said, sim your character to get more accurate results on what is best for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    For 489's, the set bonuses will beat them out.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone confirm that the 2 piece for affliction benefits both the normal corruption ticks and the extra ticks from MG?

Edit: Fixed a typo on MG
    Last edited by Huevos; 2012-11-24 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the 2 piece for affliction benefits both the normal corruption ticks and the extra ticks from MF?
    Do you mean MG? If so I would assume yes as they both appear as separate corruptions in the combatlog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gah, yes, meant MG. I'd test it myself, but don't have 2 piece yet. Can anyone confirm? Just trying to get an idea of the value of it.

The 2-pc set bonus is pretty meh. The 4-pc, however, is friggin' amazing.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

Gah, yes, meant MG. I'd test it myself, but don't have 2 piece yet. Can anyone confirm? Just trying to get an idea of the value of it.
    Just tested it for you to confirm and the extra corruption you get from MG does not get the bonus effect from 2 piece.
    Corruption: 9194 ticks
    Corruption from MG: 4178 (50% of a tick)

10% of 9194 = 919
    4178+4178 = 8356

9194 - 8356 = 838 difference

So given some RNG on ticks will make up the difference you see there. My original assumption was wrong, guess that's what I get before looking into it. And now we know...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Just tested it for you to confirm and the extra corruption you get from MG does not get the bonus effect from 2 piece.
    Corruption: 9194 ticks
    Corruption from MG: 4178 (50% of a tick)

10% of 9194 = 919
    4178+4178 = 8356

9194 - 8356 = 838 difference

So given some RNG on ticks will make up the difference you see there. My original assumption was wrong, guess that's what I get before looking into it. And now we know...
    Ok, thanks for testing it out Woz.

Deleted
    Ok, thanks for testing it out Woz.
    Don't you just love hypocritical game design...
    Our drain damage is based off of our dot damage. But increasing our dot damage doesn't increase our drain damage. Where did we go wrong!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Don't you just love hypocritical game design...
    Our drain damage is based off of our dot damage. But increasing our dot damage doesn't increase our drain damage. Where did we go wrong!?
    It's really not even that big of a difference, will probably make up for less than .05% of your DPS in the long run. Maybe .1% if you're lucky.

Deleted
    On Gara'jal HC my MG/DS Corruption is about 8.8% of my damage. So in this multitarget and low MG/DS fight it would be 0.8%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    On Gara'jal HC my MG/DS Corruption is about 8.8% of my damage. So in this multitarget and low MG/DS fight it would be 0.8%.
    It was doing ~10% of my overall damage on pure single target fights, like normal mode Feng, so it's potentially a 1% increase in dps that we aren't getting. While it's a little disappointing to not get it, I'm not really surprised reading the MG tooltip, which says it causes our DoTs to deal 50% of their "normal periodic damage".

I'm not really surprised reading the MG tooltip, which says it causes our DoTs to deal 50% of their "normal periodic damage".
    I disagree - it's definitely not what I would expect. I would expect that "normal periodic damage" to include the 2-set bonus. If that's not included, what good is the 2-set? Instead of being a 2.5% DPS increase, it's more like a 1.5% DPS increase on a single-target.

Set bonuses should be something you're happy about, and look forward to getting; not something crappy that you rather ignore in favor of non-set gear.

Has anyone tested this since patch 5.1 landed? It seems to me that this kind of thing might have a good chance of being silently fixed.

I'll test it again in a bit when I get home.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    I'll test it again in a bit when I get home.
    Corruption: 9389 ticks
    Corruption from MG: 5164 (50% of a tick)

10% of 9389 = 938.9
    5164 + 5164 = 10328

9389 - 10328 = (-) 939 difference

So...I guess they fixed it and then buffed it for MG ticks on top of it? So it's double dipping the 10% gain; once for normal corruption, then MG halves the damage and adds another 10% to the MG corruption tick. Ballerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.