Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I hope it's oil. That means that at one point there was life there.
    Or a worm. It can be a worm too, I would be ok with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I hope it's oil. That means that at one point there was life there.
    Or a worm. It can be a worm too, I would be ok with that.
    Nah, if there is oil on Mars, the americans will go over there to look for terrorists and wmd-s.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    It would give us insight on how life is formed, maybe on how life first appeared. It may even give insight into how to create life artificially.
    It would give us insight into ways of evolution in such drastically different worlds as Earth and Mars.
    It may possibly give us insight into different forms of life than the ones we know. Hell, life in Martian conditions probably is another form of life.
    It would give us proof, that life is not an Earth-unique phenomena.
    It would give us proof that we are not alone in the universe, even if our only neighbors are bacteria on a nearby planet.

But for an ignorant guy living in a basement it wouldn't mean anything, of course.
    Lol nice name, i just watched the Reanimator last night.

I'm insanely excited to see what, if anything, has been found. The imagination goes in to overdrive on the possibilities. That being said:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    something that make a scientist excited is for sure something that normal peoples don't even understand, like they have found a particle of some sort of element or a gas.
    A new particle huh? Like say, an element with zero protons? Element Zero if you will?

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Nah, if there is oil on Mars, the americans will go over there to look for terrorists and wmd-s.
    You know, as an American I must say . . . that's pretty accurate lol
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    - Fossils or any kind (hence the "history" reference)
    This one would be utterly fantastic.

Hopefully they found the Iraq's WMDs.

On a serious note, it's probably just some special rock.

From Wikipedia:

"The SAM suite consists of three instruments:
    * The Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer (QMS) detects gases sampled from the atmosphere or those released from solid samples by heating.
    * The Gas Chromatograph (GC) is used to separate out individual gases from a complex mixture into molecular components. The resulting gas flow is analyzed in the mass spectrometer with a mass range of 2-535 Daltons.
    * The Tunable Laser Spectrometer (TLS) performs precision measurements of oxygen and carbon isotope ratios in carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4) in the atmosphere of Mars in order to distinguish between their geochemical or biological origin."

What is it possible that SAM has found?

Theory 1: It detected a real sample of methane, which suggest (but is not proof) of life form remains, since living organisms is the main source of methane production.
    Nasa jumped the gun earlier claiming to have found methane in the atmosphere, but this was probably just methane brought from earth.
    If true this time around, that would be fairly huge news, and an indication of life.
    But - not proof. So I'm not really sure it's "one for the history books".

Theory 2: Like 1, but they also found something significant using the TLS unit which indicates biological traces of life. This is far more interesting, but at this point I have no idea how large accurracy such results would have.
    Also, life on earth at least has a remarkable adaptibility, and you'd think they would have found SOMETHING before now if there used to be life around on mars.

Theory 3: The data returned from SAM, when played through an audio device, sounds eerily like "We come in peace. Bring us to your leader" with a hint of metallic voice synthetization. I like this option because it is certainly one for the history books.

Edit: Turns out the find is no longer "ground-breaking", but merely "interesting".
    Maybe they just found a pretty rock then?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope its something big but im expecting it to fail the double check.

It was probaly something that traveled with it from earth that contaminated the results.

Or ya know they find out why all the other planets are lifeless a Giant Deadray!!

He did break down and tell his family. "I remember at the dinner table with great excitement explaining to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Bethany, what it was we were doing," says Zare. And then he experienced something many parents can relate to when talking to their kids.

"Bethany looked at me and said, 'pass the ketchup.' So, not everybody was as excited as I was," he says.

In before bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i hope its something interesting! like a footprint or something.
    A footprint!?!? yeah no

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its Dejah Thoris in all her glorious nudity
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I doubt it's something as huge as life on Mars. Maybe more along the lines of it has the potential to sustain life, in the future.

I don't know. At any rate, I am ridiculously excited to find out what this could be. I mean... if it IS life, then everything changes. Everything.
    But sadly it's not life or he must have the most dumbest daughter ever on earth by not responding to his news
    Seeing he works for NASA his daughter can't be that stupid, can she?
    Still I'm jealous at her she can hear all his secrets at dinner table haha

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I bet you it's a Reaper.
    Hopefully some Krogan that Americans can abduct to use for world conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Dear god if it's oil... yeah, NASA would no longer have a funding problem... but think of the cost of oil products?! They'd inflate the prices X-hundreds of percent under the guise of "Mars research." Don't say they wouldn't, because big oil are big, greedy fucks.
    Yeah because we haven't even sent a manned mission to the moon in 40 years and that one is questionable. Like we are just going to start transporting oil somehow between planets without it bankrupting the world economy. Maybe your thinking 200 years into the future or something.
    Last edited by skatblast; 2012-11-22 at 11:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    On a serious note, it's probably just some special rock.
    Funny but this is the most probable answer I have seen on the subject. They're very likely gonna say "Durr, dis rock be made o' da saem stuffz as dose o' stuffz dat grows on Earf". Which is gonna be the most epic fail answer to this excitement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    This is the Blizzard MoP launch party tweet all over again. It's gonna end up being a champagne party and you're all gonna be sorely disappointed.
    i would say its pretty damn significant if they found a champagne party on mars!

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    A footprint!?!? yeah no

it wasnt actually a serious post i am not expecting them to find a footprint....

Deleted
    I hope they found something that can make humans teleport to other dimensions!

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    He did break down and tell his family. "I remember at the dinner table with great excitement explaining to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Bethany, what it was we were doing," says Zare. And then he experienced something many parents can relate to when talking to their kids.

"Bethany looked at me and said, 'pass the ketchup.' So, not everybody was as excited as I was," he says.

In before bacteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    But sadly it's not life or he must have the most dumbest daughter ever on earth by not responding to his news
    Seeing he works for NASA his daughter can't be that stupid, can she?
    Still I'm jealous at her she can hear all his secrets at dinner table haha
    That story and quote was from a different scientist, about a different discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    I hope they found something that can make humans teleport to other dimensions!
    Because then we'd have to get a sample to the Black Mesa Complex for testing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Yeah because we haven't even sent a manned mission to the moon in 40 years and that one is questionable.
    The Apollo program delivered six manned lunar landings and three circumlunar flights (including Apollo 13). I submit that if any of this seems questionable to you, you're doing it wrong.