Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Adding an SSD? & Ram

Hello,

I already have an SSD, and an HD, but I would like to add another SSD, and my question is:

Do I also have to install an OS on it to run games on the new SSD or not?

Also I would like to add more ram to my pc, I was thinking 8gb, but could I add from a different brand then what I have or do they have to match?

Thanks!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Deleted
    1. SSD - Just connect the SSD and it will show up empty with no folders on your next boot. If not go to "Disk management"
    When installing a game just select the SSD drive letter and maybe create a second program files folder or games folder there. for example --> "X:Games"

2. Brand shouldn't matter. Just make sure its the same voltage. 1.5v or 1.65v?
    If your ram speed now is 1333mhz and you buy (for example) 1600mhz ram it will just underclock the faster ram to 1333 speeds.
    Also if you have 1600mhz RAM now and you add in 1333mhz RAM. It will naturally underclock your current/old RAM to 1333mhz cause the new one is slower.

note: Installing another SSD will not make games installed on it run faster or by any bigger amount of fps. It will just make the loading screens load a few seconds faster.
    Install a program onto the new SSD and the program will open faster.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you!

SSD can and will effect recordings, like fraps and such due to the faster read and write. I would suggest a Samsung 830, basic. You can get the desktop version if you need the extra stuff that comes with it.

Samsung isn't the fastest on the market but it's by far the most stable on.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought OCZ Vertex 4 256g on amazon.com for $159.99, I have an M4 128g and I love it! I hope OCZ is as good or better than Crucial.