Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Curiosity killed the DPS

So just curious of everyone's opinion. Guys in my guild are complaining about how long it takes to aquire valor pts as a flat DPS, due to the long LFR/Heroic queues. I myself don't really both as i tank and am i a heals for our raid team. But just wanted to ask, Has anyone ever thought tru DPS classes (rogue, lock, mage, ect..) should get a Valor point buff from bosses/dailys? say a hybrid class would get 100 where as a pure dps class would get 150?

Just wanted to see what everyones opinions are

Deleted
    Is it ever more than 10-12 min queue for dps? Queue -> start on dailies and you'll never notice it. I honestly don't see an issue here

I play a feral druid, kitty/guardian, and i often queue as dps while doing dailies instead of as a tank

I'm against vp bonus to any role - If it becomes a major issue Blizzard needs to solve it through design instead of bribes

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only queued as dps in MoP. Heroic queues have been about 3-9 minutes and LFR has been 2-12 minutes. Hardly game-breaking, and even if it was we should all remember the LFD is one way to get groups, there has always been another.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Or queue with a tank or healer. Ask in guild if anyone's doing heroics or LFR. DO things... gasp... together.

One of the biggest downsides to LFR/LFD is that people don't ask in guild if others need runs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertha View Post
    So just curious of everyone's opinion. Guys in my guild are complaining about how long it takes to aquire valor pts as a flat DPS, due to the long LFR/Heroic queues. I myself don't really both as i tank and am i a heals for our raid team. But just wanted to ask, Has anyone ever thought tru DPS classes (rogue, lock, mage, ect..) should get a Valor point buff from bosses/dailys? say a hybrid class would get 100 where as a pure dps class would get 150?

Just wanted to see what everyones opinions are
    It really doesn't take that long as DPS. It's nowhere near the 45+ mins that I used to have to wait for Cata heroics.

I'm a boomie and only ever queue as DPS. Queues aren't bad at all, at least in my realm.

I think this idea is awful. Valor should be a reward for completing a dungeon, not for waiting in line.

First of all, they are choosing to be DPS. They are choosing to play a class that cannot heal or tank. There are hybrids that play DPS, even some play DPS exclusively. They are also choosing to DPS, and as a DPS, you have a longer queue. It's longer as in "not instant" and has recently been as short as 3-4 minutes during high volume play times. At worst it's 15 minutes, usually in between. LFR queues are only ever long past 12 midnight or on Mondays or Sundays. I'm getting 3-5 minute LFR queues right now.

They shouldn't get a bonus because they choose to be a DPS class.

I play a lot of DPS, but I must say I really don't think this is necessary.(that said I wouldn't mind a boost for everyone) Currently what I do is que for a random scenario and a heroic at the same time. Scenario que is instant and when I finish my scenario, the heroic is ready almost immediately. So basically no que. I usually just do one of each a day but combined with LFR and dailies it ends up being enough. If I need more heroics after I do my first of the day scenario/heroic que, I work on dailies while in que for another heroic. It isn't bad at all. I do however wish we got the higher valor rate 7 times per week as opposed to 1 time per day so I could do a bunch on the weekends instead of everyday.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you gave a valor boost to dps, you'd still never get any instance runs because all the people who would normally go as tanks and healers will change to dps instead.

Honestly with all of the Lfr raids that are out now you get a decent amount of Valor just from clearing them. If you do dailies ontop of the Lfr and maybe a couple random heroics you should have no issue capping valor.

If people are trying to cap it all in one day then I can see why they are having an issue. Their problem is trying to rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    If you gave a valor boost to dps, you'd still never get any instance runs because all the people who would normally go as tanks and healers will change to dps instead.
    Ding ding ding!

Really though, do you have to do back-to-back runs in order to play? Can't you find something to do in or out of game for 10 minutes? I always can. Heck, I've had times where I didn't want my queue to pop up yet. And if you need back-to-back runs, ask the group once you get in it if they'll do more (if you perform well, they are more likely to agree).

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    This isn't the queue length everyone is seeing though. A couple days ago, I had a 40 minute queue for an LFR run. Or I get a 10 minute queue for a run with 2 bosses already down. A lot of it has to do with when I queue which is fine for me. I don't mind waiting. However, to imply that the wait times you experience are exactly what everyone else experiences... isn't really the greatest idea as it only encompasses what you have seen.
    I have often had a 40 minute queue for LFR as a Tank, when DPS were mainly getting 10-15 minute queues. Queues are queues, so stop the Q.Q.

You chose your role.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    They shouldn't get a bonus because they choose to be a DPS class.
    They shouldn't get a bonus because they chose to be a Non-Pure DPS class. They already get instant queues, Not that I'm saying DPS deserve to get anything extra. If a dungeon takes 15-20 minutes and you're getting up to 15 minute shorter queues, is that not already a gigantic bonus? Without throwing in free mounts and pets that other people actually have to work for?

Honestly I don't even see the point of this thread.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't queue heroics solo for valor points.

I aqcuire them through dailies, raid finder and raiding normal/hc.

And no, I don't think players who only have one role specialization should receive additional valor points. If anything, DPS should receive additional rewards for performing extremely well. Nothing big, but a thank you for actually doing something to contribute to the group would be nice.

The day Blizzard designs fights again that require the same Tank : heal : DPS ratio in raids as they have in 5m dps can get all the valor buffs they want.
    But when that day comes i would bet you wouldnt wait so long because magically you would have more tanks.
    But hey can i have extra loot on lfr because i have to wait for hours?

Or do what i do...get some heal and dps and queque with them. Its an mmo. you are not forced to play it as single player.
    Last edited by Asmalya; 2012-11-22 at 05:44 AM.

This OP question was answered in the very first response (aka 2nd post).. Queue for DPS, do dailies, join the group when out of combat / safe. Resume dailies and requeue after first dungeon is over.. You will always cap valor after doing 3 days of dailies and maybe 3 heroic daily LFDungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Or queue with a tank or healer. Ask in guild if anyone's doing heroics or LFR. DO things... gasp... together.

One of the biggest downsides to LFR/LFD is that people don't ask in guild if others need runs too.
    Well, that's because of the reward model. Tanks don't run dungeons with their own guild because you have to solo queue to be eligible for the satchel.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Well, that's because of the reward model. Tanks don't run dungeons with their own guild because you have to solo queue to be eligible for the satchel.
    Then those guilds have a problem.
    The satchel was more to motivate tanks that
    1) outgear those dungeons
    2) dont need points
    3) are bored

to give them a reason to tank for 4 strangers.
    Same for healers ofc.

But again...for me the main problem lies within the tank : healer : dps ratio between raids and 5m.
    But if no tank in your guild wants to spend 15minuets in a dungeon with you because of that satchel (which he can get all day long currently) then...yes...i dont even have words for how shitty that is...

A major downside to a VP bonus for DPS is that the queue times will go WAY UP as it will be less attractive to go as tank or healer. It would be the opposite of the CTA bag.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I do solo ques as a DPS I do something productive. Whether it's dailies or farming.

Sometimes I'll turn the sound on, turn it up and go do something around the house. Wash some dishes,crunches,whatever.

When I'm not sitting in front watching a timer go by it tends to go by a lot quicker.

I also always jump on the opportunity to go with guildmates/btag friends.

If I'm healing/tanking I make sure to tell my guild/btag and sometimes trade so others can take advantage of it.

But as far as I've seen so far the ques haven't been painstakingly long.