Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is my brother right to quit WoW over the state of Shamans?

My brother is an avid WoW player and has played with me since Vanilla. But the last week he text me saying he was quitting because of the current state of Shamans and PvP. So my question is, is it really that bad? I try my best to help him, and suggest ways he could try improve but to be honest Shaman is not my speciality, I'm more of a Druid player (and the like for like comparisons usually end in my favour it seems). Plus he is certain that it is the game and Blizzard that are to blame, that Shamans have no survivability and need to hold another classes' hand in order to be viable, and that MoP should have revamped Shamans a lot more than it did. For the record I'm talking mostly about Elemental and Enhancement in PvP, not Resto.

To be fair, in my experience in PvP I don't usually see Shaman's as such a big a threat when compared with other classes.

Deleted
    If he was no longer having fun then sure, its perfectly acceptable for him to quit. I mean, why pay for and play a game which you don't enjoy? The rest just seems like a rant though. Shaman aren't the best in PvP but they are in a better position than many here would claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    The problem is not shamans being weak, it is a couple specs being a little too strong which gives certain comps a hard time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shamans have always been the move "glass cannony" class. In wotlk ele shamans relied on their heals as defense and Astra Shift while stunned which helped them a lot, also with high armor they were more of a turret-like cannon.

But seeing as cata removed their heal efficiency and since armor didn't matter that much, combined with lava burst doing shit dmg due to the flame shock talent that would reset LvB.

Now we're in MoP where everybody relies on burst cooldowns.
    Armor kind-of matters IMO and the heals are very good (until 5.1 that is), and since ele shamans finally have a defensive tier they CAN be more defensive than wotlk/cata.

Seeing ele shamans have the best on demand burst if they can pull it off right now they shouldnt have too many defensive abilities. They still have earthgrab totem/absorb totem when specced into and they have a stun.

If you ask me your brother just rolled the wrong class or doesn't know how to play defensively. If he wants to be more tanky than he should've rolled a mage or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post

If you ask me your brother just rolled the wrong class or doesn't know how to play defensively. If he wants to be more tanky than he should've rolled a mage or something.
    It would be quite hard to quit the class you first started off with since Vanilla till now.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    My brother is an avid WoW player and has played with me since Vanilla. But the last week he text me saying he was quitting because of the current state of Shamans and PvP. So my question is, is it really that bad? I try my best to help him, and suggest ways he could try improve but to be honest Shaman is not my speciality, I'm more of a Druid player (and the like for like comparisons usually end in my favour it seems). Plus he is certain that it is the game and Blizzard that are to blame, that Shamans have no survivability and need to hold another classes' hand in order to be viable, and that MoP should have revamped Shamans a lot more than it did. For the record I'm talking mostly about Elemental and Enhancement in PvP, not Resto.

To be fair, in my experience in PvP I don't usually see Shaman's as such a big a threat when compared with other classes.
    your brother is entitled to quit for any reason he choses... would I quit over the state of shaman, no. But its his time, if he's not having fun then yes, he's right to quit.

Only entitled to quit if he played a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosm View Post
    Only entitled to quit if he played a rogue.
    and yet rogues can pull there weight in a 3v3 or 5v5 match. the controll of and burst of a rogue is still someting to watch out for.

it just went from a fotm/dps class to a controll and burst on demand class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Ofcourse he's right, although i didn't leave wow because of class balance (Never cared much for it anyway) he has the right to leave wow when he wishes.

If your not enjoying the game: Quit it.

I've quit because of the same reason quite a while ago, but the latest action of blizzard is an all time low that, had I not already quit before, would've made me quit now.
    Resto seems have been in a nice place for a while (both MoP/cata), not ele/enh though. With totems becoming spells, especially ele will be hit hard (and it isn't exactly a strong pvp spec atm).
    IMO ele/enh lack in kiting/gap closing, in short mobility.
    And since ele is more reliant on kiting than other casters due to more hard casts, and enh being dependent on high uptime for both mana and MSW procs (plus having cds as recource instead of a recource you can pool), we' esp hit hard by those issues.
    Totems becoming spells is basically the dot on the "i" (does this phrase exist in english? ) that's making several people quit/reroll now, there's stuff piling up.

I think your brother might have agonized other this before the latest announcements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanley View Post
    I've quit because of the same reason quite a while ago, but the latest action of blizzard is an all time low that, had I not already quit before, would've made me quit now.
    Resto seems have been in a nice place for a while (both MoP/cata), not ele/enh though. With totems becoming spells, especially ele will be hit hard (and it isn't exactly a strong pvp spec atm).
    IMO ele/enh lack in kiting/gap closing, in short mobility.
    And since ele is more reliant on kiting than other casters due to more hard casts, and enh being dependent on high uptime for both mana and MSW procs (plus having cds as recource instead of a recource you can pool), we' esp hit hard by those issues.
    Totems becoming spells is basically the dot on the "i" (does this phrase exist in english? ) that's making several people quit/reroll now, there's stuff piling up.

I think your brother might have agonized other this before the latest announcements.
    Yes he has and thanks for the responses so far. I realise he can quit whenever he wants, I wouldn't force him to play - just wondering how his perceptions of the class match up to those on MMO-Champ. When I say to him that perhaps Shaman are more of a team assist class and struggle more when solo, well that just seems to make the perception of the class even worse; as if he needs someone with him to make him viable. Also as others have alluded to, he is very much attached to his Orc Shaman (in the same way I am to my Tauren Druid), and he wont consider trying another alt just because Blizzard can't balance Shaman.

He should learn to play resto IMO they are absolute monsters in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    and yet rogues can pull there weight in a 3v3 or 5v5 match. the controll of and burst of a rogue is still someting to watch out for.

No they can't. Maybe in low end brackets.

This "control" you speak of can be done by just about any class in the game now.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    If he doesn't enjoy playing Shaman currently, but I assume he does enjoy WoW, help him level/play another class for now? You still get to play with your brother and maybe a new class will get him to enjoy playing WoW more again? If Shaman get "fixed" or whatever he feels is wrong with'em, he can always return to playing with it

i just need to step into bg or arena and i get such huge anger in me as ele shaman - cant be healthy lol

pve wise we are okish i think not imba not bad, somehwre in the middle

Deleted
    It does actually seem like they are done with class changes on PTR?

Ele will be forever bad

Deleted
    Sadly, the shaman class seems lost between others (particularly enhancement (and on a considerate rate elemental)). Well, this might be just a mere opinion but I also have troubles with it. I enjoy playing enhancement (and off-spec elemental once an expac) but the mechanics feel clunkly and not on par with other classes.
    We have to sacrifice a GCD to drop searing/fire ele totem for our stacks so we can hit hard.
    We have outdated defense spells and we have to glyph to be on par with others... calling them defensive spells pains my heart.
    Ghostwolf is being played with more than once per expac, which is a big part of our mobility.
    Stun totem is weird...
    Enhancement, despite being a melee caster hybrid, needs an extra melee attack that can fill the small gap in enhance rotation and be beneficial in pvp...

I can go on with stuff that bothers me, heck, I even made a list @ Pre-cata patch in the forums.

And yes, as stated before, some class comb's are OP.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post

Rogues are atm weaker than both shaman dps specs for PvP.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I hit 90 on a shaman alt a few days ago so I can only give opinions on what ive seen and experienced so far in BG's. I'm also enhance.

Firstly, I feel excessively squishy against warriors, and because there are so many warriors out theses days BG's are a pain in the ass, and lone wolfing is never really an option unless you are fully geared.

My mobility seems okay, spirit walk, ghost wolf, unleashed fury closes most gaps created, or Ascendance if need be.

Damage output is fairly low, but burst is crazy high. A sustained damage increase with a small burst nerf would be more enjoyable.

Survivability is arguable, I feel I have some nice utility to slow my enemies down before they can actually get to me during their burst, but at the same time soon as they do come close enough I'm generally sliced like warm butter (warriors mostly). A well placed Hex during a burst after they use a trink is sometimes enough. Another point is malestrom + surge which generally will keep me alive long enough to do something sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Shamans have always been the move "glass cannony" class. In wotlk ele shamans relied on their heals as defense and Astra Shift while stunned which helped them a lot, also with high armor they were more of a turret-like cannon.

But seeing as cata removed their heal efficiency and since armor didn't matter that much, combined with lava burst doing shit dmg due to the flame shock talent that would reset LvB.

Now we're in MoP where everybody relies on burst cooldowns.
    Armor kind-of matters IMO and the heals are very good (until 5.1 that is), and since ele shamans finally have a defensive tier they CAN be more defensive than wotlk/cata.

Seeing ele shamans have the best on demand burst if they can pull it off right now they shouldnt have too many defensive abilities. They still have earthgrab totem/absorb totem when specced into and they have a stun.

Astral shift in wotlk? Huh face..