Page 1 of 2
LastLast

F2P exp restrictions questions

I've been thinking of going back to ToR since it's now free but with restrictions. I've already played the game but left because the leveling was just so long to me at a point of the game (stopped playing at Belsavis(frozen planet not sure if the right name)). Wanted to know how the leveling was since it's been quite a while and patches have came in. I also saw that the F2P characters gain reduced XP, and wanted to know, if you were to compare F2P and full exp to release ToR, how is it? Is F2P the same as release ToR in terms of lvling, or is the normal Xp gains by being a suscriber the same as release? Or did it get quicker to get a character to max level?

Subscribers should have about the same level speed as at release, while F2P players will level somewhat slower due the restrictions placed on them. Didn't play too much yet, but it feels like nothing has changed in regards to level speed since release.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhreia View Post
    Subscribers should have about the same level speed as at release, while F2P players will level somewhat slower due the restrictions placed on them. Didn't play too much yet, but it feels like nothing has changed in regards to level speed since release.
    Well this sucks if it's true. Regoing through all of those quest might be boring. Some WHERE very fun though, won't deny that.

Azhreia is correct, but also, F2P level players don't gain rested experience in cantinas.

Deleted
    as a F2P you need to find other means to gain xp to level the last 2-3 lvls in a zone, while the normal people will usually progress to another planet after finishing around 80% of the quests in a area, even if you finish 100% as a f2p you need to either grind mobs for a few hours, or something similar to progress

Don't forget bonus series, no need for them as subscriber but they will really help out F2P players

I've been doing every single player quest and most of the 2 man quest (and sometimes 4 mans) and all I can say is that the Xp reduction is kind of painful.

I haven't done mindless grinding yet (guess that will happen towards the end) but I have been doing the bonus quest.

Currently lvl 29 on Aldaraan and I'm just about to start the 2e class quest.

You can get around almost every f2p restriction with in game credits.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I have heard that it is about a 25% reduction.

Same as the boost from the cash shop packs. I don't think that is a coincidence.

It's free though, so you don't have to pay any money to get to 50.

I just don't get all the complaining, you're not paying for the game, what do you expect to get? Everything apparently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    You can get around almost every f2p restriction with in game credits.
    Tell me your secrets!

Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post
    I just don't get all the complaining, you're not paying for the game, what do you expect to get? Everything apparently.
    A competitive model with equivalent player freedoms that you see in other games that will yield a more positive free player experience and make the game more inviting, thus leading to more success.

Example: I was totally going to support the game through the cash shop and had been planning to do so since the initial announcement. I can't do so in good conscious now as I strongly disagree with the model they've chosen and feel that it's not good for players, or the industry as a whole. Had they come out with a competitive model that didn't show such disdain for free players, I'd be supporting it right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    And so we should, F2P model is becoming more popular and if you take a look at most F2P games, you're not restricted through Exp, Instances, Action bars and PvP - Most F2P games are offering all of those at no extra cost, it's all free. So it's kind of expected with F2P games. Do you honestly think non-Subscribers deserve the incoming hatred towards them from subscribers when it comes to field revives in dungeons? Because there's going to be a large shitfest with that restriction in dungeons.

Warzones? Even worse, you can't equip the good gear and Subscribers are going to bitch out the non-subscribers for handicapping the group with their sub-par gear. What EA/Bioware are doing is not good at all for the Community, it's going to divide it and you're left with one side being subscribers and the other non-subscribers - It shouldn't be that way, it should be everyone coming together to play the game they enjoy. If Guild Wars 2, Aion and Lineage are managing it without ridiculous restrictions then so can SWTOR..

It's all corporate greed from EA, it always has been - Every game they get their hands on they fucking ruin it. Just look at their other titles.. Name one game that's seeing success of theirs. They don't listen to the Community, if they did they'd know that the majority are wanting these harsh restrictions lowered a little and actually implement that change, but since it's EA they're not going to touch it at all.

And I'll be damned if I ever buy another title of theirs again, they deserve all the pirating in the world because their trash is not worth a dime.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-11-24 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcorn1992 View Post
    Tell me your secrets!
    Buy the unlocks you want off the GTN, sold a few action bars already for 350k. You really can play for free if you don't mind farming some credits, or have reserves from pre-nerf slicing. Just need someone to buy the unlocks with cartel coins and post them on GTN.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    And so we should, F2P model is becoming more popular and if you take a look at most F2P games, you're not restricted through Exp, Instances, Action bars and PvP - Most F2P games are offering all of those at no extra cost, it's all free. So it's kind of expected with F2P games. Do you honestly think non-Subscribers deserve the incoming hatred towards them from subscribers when it comes to field revives in dungeons? Because there's going to be a large shitfest with that restriction in dungeons.

Warzones? Even worse, you can't equip the good gear and Subscribers are going to bitch out the non-subscribers for handicapping the group with their sub-par gear. What EA/Bioware are doing is not good at all for the Community, it's going to divide it and you're left with one side being subscribers and the other non-subscribers - It shouldn't be that way, it should be everyone coming together to play the game they enjoy. If Guild Wars 2, Aion and Lineage are managing it without ridiculous restrictions then so can SWTOR..

It's all corporate greed from EA, it always has been - Every game they get their hands on they fucking ruin it. Just look at their other titles.. Name one game that's seeing success of theirs. They don't listen to the Community, if they did they'd know that the majority are wanting these harsh restrictions lowered a little and actually implement that change, but since it's EA they're not going to touch it at all.

And I'll be damned if I ever buy another title of theirs again, they deserve all the pirating in the world because their trash is not worth a dime.

People need to stop comparing SWTOR F2P to other games. EA nor Bioware has never stated they are even trying to compete with other F2P models. The reason subscribers are hating on F2Players is because they keep constantly complaining and complaining about their limitations. You're playing the same game I'm playing, but for free, you shouldn't have the same things I do, I pay money for it. If you want the perks of a subscription, subscribe or buy them individually with Cartel Coins or Credits. It's literally that simple, and there is nothing wrong with the system.

EA wants you to subscribe, they don't want you to play for free. Does lower XP really matter? Why are you rushing to level 50? The entire point of the F2P system is so players can experience the amazing story at absolutely no charge. With reduced XP you get to experience more of it by having to do the Bonus Series quests and making it take longer makes the experience worthwhile. There is absolutely no need for more than two Quickbars while leveling. Quick Travel, Fleet Pass, etc. does not need to be on your bars, you can use them through the Ability Panel. I could see maybe a Jedi Knight going Tank want an extra Quickslot bar, but what are you going to tank? 3 Flashpoints?

I just don't see what there is to complain about, a month ago you could not play this game without paying $15 a month, and now you can play the the leveling portion of the game absolutely free with some restrictions. EA has never said their F2P model is designed to be competitive with other games, yet people somehow expect it to be. Mind boggling. It just goes to show that the old adage holds true: Give people an inch, and they ask for a mile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    Buy the unlocks you want off the GTN, sold a few action bars already for 350k. You really can play for free if you don't mind farming some credits, or have reserves from pre-nerf slicing. Just need someone to buy the unlocks with cartel coins and post them on GTN.
    Isn't that only for preferred accounts? which I have to pay to become :P

Deleted
    I wouldn't worry about the XP. I have found, as a subscriber, that I outlevel zones fast (I have left Balmorra half completed as I didn't wanna out level the next planet before I even got there). So the XP reduction shouldn't effect you too much.

EA has never said their F2P model is designed to be competitive with other games, yet people somehow expect it to be. Mind boggling. It just goes to show that the old adage holds true: Give people an inch, and they ask for a mile.
    My mind is blown. Are you implying that EA's goal was to produce a subpar model? That they were trying to do poorly?

Also, it just goes to show that the old adage holds true: Give people shasta cola and they will continue to by coke.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Falcorn1992 View Post
    Isn't that only for preferred accounts? which I have to pay to become :P
    It's more targetted at returning players that are preferred as current F2P players won't have many spare credits and don't need bars to level to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    My mind is blown. Are you implying that EA's goal was to produce a subpar model? That they were trying to do poorly?

Also, it just goes to show that the old adage holds true: Give people shasta cola and they will continue to by coke.
    Whether it is subpar or not is an opinion. They aren't competing in the F2P market with anyone because they don't want F2P to be what the game is about. They want you to sub, but if you just want to see the class story, or pvp, or hell level to 50 and then start paying for your account to do stuff, you now have the option to do so.

Anyone who thought "Oh SWTOR is going free to play, now I can play the game and get everything for free while some people stay subscribed for no reason at all." is crazy, and uninformed. SWTOR is not a F2P game, it however offers it's story and leveling content free of charge for those who are interested.