Poll: Is Ancient Portal: Dalaran fun?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i love it op i to will now do this whenever i can

10+ Year Old Account
    So you admit to acting like a douche in game, then you want to get butthurt when people call you on it and tell them 'take the game less seriously.'

I don't think someone who comes to forums to brag about something as childishly pointless as killing someone with a portal has any room to talk about how seriously someone takes the game. Apparently killing one player, getting them kicked and wasting their queue/time is 'serious' enough business for you to further congest an already overstuffed-with-rubbish forum with this waste of a topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So you admit to acting like a douche in game, then you want to get butthurt when people call you on it and tell them 'take the game less seriously.'

I don't think someone who comes to forums to brag about something as childishly pointless as killing someone with a portal has any room to talk about how seriously someone takes the game. Apparently killing one player, getting them kicked and wasting their queue/time is 'serious' enough business for you to further congest an already overstuffed-with-rubbish forum with this waste of a topic.
    If it was such an awful thread, people would stop posting in it, you're not telling me anything I haven't already been told, I'm a braggart, I'm a nerd, bla bla bla.

Still, I don't think it was that bad. /shrug

Deleted
    PS: You gave me incentive to level my mage to 90 (apparently PvE tier gloves aren't enough incentive)

I don't think griefing people is funny to be honest, you should have at least waited for some idiot who actually deserves it. That Paladin was innocent and could have just been a young kid. People who treat WoW like their virtual school playground should grow up, sorry.

And your poll options are biased and not objective, so the results are meaningless and useless. Grats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh... Don't see the "funny" part in this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    There is only so much 'happy' in the world to go around, and 100% of the time to get YOUR version of enjoyment you must take someone elses away.
    I have no opinion either way regarding your antics. You are entitled to perform them, and he was entitled to be upset about it. But if you truly believe what you wrote above, you have some serious reflecting to do.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

I felt bad that I got him kicked. I didn't feel bad that he clicked the portal that I placed to troll. You are half right, I suppose.

But isn't this a game? Aren't we meant to have fun? I had fun at the expense of one other persons fun. I'm not debating this. But TOXICITY is a harsh word to use to describe it, lol. Maybe take this game a bit less seriously, yeah?
    The paladin was having fun as well?

horrible person.

it is fun, but not in raids or lfr, where people have to wait 19 min for a que
    Be feared, or be fuel

OP did not create the portal ontop of the banquet or mage table he supplied. It was to the side. So it was 100% purely the fault of the player moving his mouse directly over the portal and clicking it, while being within interactable range of said portal.

The fact he created it to see who might click it is curiousity. Anyone generally would not be clicking a portal in LFR, they are there for the raid.

I openly place the blame squarely on the Paladin who clicked it. Cause the mage sure didn't MAKE him click the portal.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Nope this game is srs business... sounds like it wasn't much fun for the pally - but hey you got enjoyment out of it, so yea it's fine that it was at another person's displeasure. If the way our world works now adays, or the internet has taught you anything - there are no ramifications for this besides some guy being upset you never have to deal with, so good for you!

Deleted
    I'll just leave this here(the red part of the writing is important to this thread):
    http://www.thedailyblink.com/2012/10/mean-people-suck/

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? If someone in a raid clicks on a portal that wasn't there to trick them into clicking it, then it's fair game.

I don't see any problem.
    I always had a blast when ppl at the end of a raid ended up in the middle of nowhere, read Stonard. lol
    Or ppl clicking the crap out of the fake portals sitting on top of the real portals in Dal.
    Reloading, bitching in Trade how the portals are broken.

Ok, there's a bit of evil to make someone lose their raid spot in LFR, but on the contrary, it's their own fault for clicking on a portal during a run.
    What if he didn't die, because it was a real portal? Then he'd stand in Dalaran, in opposition to the raid location where he's suppose to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    The paladin was having fun as well?
    That's a fair point. You could see it as schadenfreude/griefing (famous one). However the mage in question isn't doing it all the time, and he wasn't targeting a specific person.

Also the ability of a subject to laugh after being a prank took place is not only relying on the prank itself. Some people can't take a hit. In this case there is a lesson to be learned by the subject.

I remember putting a portal to Exodar and what not on top of Throne of the Tides chest.

I remember leap of faithing half my realm into the SW bank. My friends laughed, some strangers laughed as well tho some were angry, some were asking how I did it (I explained or showed), others to get out (I explained to HS but could trigger death), some were threatening with complaint. I never heard a word from a GM about it.

But I believe both of these are worse than what OP did. Why? OP is NOT targeting a specific person, AND is merely making use of a feature implemented by Blizzard. It is basically "working as intended".

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    That's a fair point. You could see it as schadenfreude/griefing (famous one). However the mage in question isn't doing it all the time, and he wasn't targeting a specific person.

Also the ability of a subject to laugh after being a prank took place is not only relying on the prank itself. Some people can't take a hit. In this case there is a lesson to be learned by the subject.

I remember putting a portal to Exodar and what not on top of Throne of the Tides chest.

I remember leap of faithing half my realm into the SW bank. My friends laughed, some strangers laughed as well tho some were angry, some were asking how I did it (I explained or showed), others to get out (I explained to HS but could trigger death), some were threatening with complaint. I never heard a word from a GM about it.

But I believe both of these are worse than what OP did. Why? OP is NOT targeting a specific person, AND is merely making use of a feature implemented by Blizzard. It is basically "working as intended".
    Actually the OP made it sound like he or she had been doing it for a while. Makes a point of doing it in every group in fact, making this thing not really a spontaneous thing. Hence the comment "first person out of 70+" to click on a portal. How many people pull pranks on random people that you've just met and then laugh at them? What would you think of such people? Oh but it's on the internet...

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury View Post
    I have no opinion either way regarding your antics. You are entitled to perform them, and he was entitled to be upset about it. But if you truly believe what you wrote above, you have some serious reflecting to do.
    LOL. I completely missed that. OP said that happiness is zero sum. That in itself is quite disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Actually the OP made it sound like he or she had been doing it for a while. Makes a point of doing it in every group in fact, making this thing not really a spontaneous thing. Hence the comment "first person out of 70+" to click on a portal. How many people pull pranks on random people that you've just met and then laugh at them? What would you think of such people? Oh but it's on the internet...

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:14 PM ----------

LOL. I completely missed that. OP said that happiness is zero sum. That in itself is quite disturbing.
    I got the portal monday evening. Tuesday afternoon, I ran Terrace LFR with 24 randoms. Then HoF part 1 and part 2 totaling 48 randoms. I'm sorry if maths are too hard for you but thats 72 randoms during the course of my LFR playtime totaling about 3 hours. 3 hours out of the countless hours I've dumped into this game, and I had just gotten a new toy. Figure it out...

And as for happiness being a zero sum, that's my opinion and you are free to disagree with it but at least give me examples why. In a happiness is a zero sum world we see countless examples on television and the media where, they may not be REAL entities, but the enjoyment comes from watching them suffer or otherwise have to persevere against odds we ourselves would not like to face.

Walking Dead is a popular television show where our favorite characters deal with the threats of starvation, zombie attacks, and human decency on a daily basis. Forced to make tough moral decisions to even stay alive. We derive enjoyment from this program, on a basic human level, because of this. Knowing we are not the ones suffering. Its all in how you interpret the world we live in. And yes, I gave an example from a fictional television show. Here's one that's basic enough for even some of the mouth-breathing bible thumpers in here to understand - if someone in your class farts, you laugh because 1) the fart noise is funny? Maybe if you're 12, 2) because subconsciously you know it causes embarrassment for that person and not you. You take your family to an amusement park to have a grand old time? There is a man who sits in a dark damp booth running that ride you are enjoying, unable to spend time with his own family. This is how the world works.

I'm not the only one here who needs to crack open a book and do some reflection. Basic. Human. Instinct.

I welcome you to give examples of things you deem fun and I will point out the the fun is coming FROM somewhere, at someone's expense, whether you choose to acknowledge that basic part of how our society works or not.
    Last edited by furriusmurrius; 2012-11-24 at 06:28 PM.

And as for happiness being a zero sum, that's my opinion and you are free to disagree with it but at least give me examples why. In a happiness is a zero sum world we see countless examples on television and the media where, they may not be REAL entities, but the enjoyment comes from watching them suffer or otherwise have to persevere against odds we ourselves would not like to face.

Walking Dead is a popular television show where our favorite characters deal with the threats of starvation, zombie attacks, and human decency on a daily basis. Forced to make tough moral decisions to even stay alive. We derive enjoyment from this program, on a basic human level, because of this. Knowing we are not the ones suffering. Its all in how you interpret the world we live in. And yes, I gave an example from a fictional television show. Here's one that's basic enough for even some of the mouth-breathing bible thumpers in here to understand - if someone in your class farts, you laugh because 1) the fart noise is funny? Maybe if you're 12, 2) because subconsciously you know it causes embarrassment for that person and not you. You take your family to an amusement park to have a grand old time? There is a man who sits in a dark damp booth running that ride you are enjoying, unable to spend time with his own family. This is how the world works.

I'm not the only one here who needs to crack open a book and do some reflection. Basic. Human. Instinct.

I welcome you to give examples of things you deem fun and I will point out the the fun is coming FROM somewhere, at someone's expense, whether you choose to acknowledge that basic part of how our society works or not.
    ...and what about media that does not portray suffering? No happiness to be gained there? What of relationships?

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    ...and what about media that does not portray suffering? No happiness to be gained there? What of relationships?
    Media that does not portray suffering comes on the backs of those actually suffering to produce it. A relationship can pull each member of it away from other relationships. Each person only has so much time, so your girlfriend can now spend less time with her father who has a finite amount of time on this planet as do we all.

I will give you relationships fall on the weaker side of the spectrum, but it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It has already been stated in this very thread that the tool tip is the same as the normal Dalaran portal. Perhaps he wanted to repair before the boss fight, how was he supposed to know he would end up falling to his death?
    You do realize there is no raid mechanic that involves going to Dalaran right? Hence no reason to click on it. At all. So again that is a prime example of clicking on something without knowing why or what it is for.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot123 View Post
    Tbh, people should be careful what they click. It's not like it doesn't say it's a portal.
    Exactly this. Like I said I have a feeling Blizzard put this in game to teach players a lesson about being aware of what they are doing and not just mindlessly click something because it is there.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TrapTripper View Post
    no its not my opinion

if someone wants a port to dalaran you give them one

they are the disabled ones

your a fucking mage act like one

or bloody roll warlock
    I would imagine this attitude right here is why many mages like to mess around with their ports.

Deleted
    Well done!

I love doing such pranks too, but only when there is possibility of summoning that person back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    I don't think griefing people is funny to be honest, you should have at least waited for some idiot who actually deserves it. That Paladin was innocent
    He's far from innocent.

1. He's a paladin.
    2. He's RET paladin.
    3. He was probably a human or male belf.