Poll: Should mob tagging be removed?

Thread: Mob tagging

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Yes, I don't want leveling to painstakingly easy to the point a monkey can do it. I much rather have leveling challenging and make you think, which is somewhat MoP leveling did. It's not to the point where it should be but it's getting there.
    Yeah, I'm baffled by this because I've been playing since the middle of Vanilla, back when it took full days of play time to get to 60. It wasn't because it was hard it was because drop rates were hella low, respawn was slow, and you moved slowly. The leveling process was never hard unless you didn't know how to play your class/never played and MMO or an RPG/learning a whole new class and that was basically just not knowing how to quest efficiently and what spells to use to down non-elite junk mobs in the world.

I don't find any problem with the current mob tag system. Like someone said earlier if they go to a no tag system they will just crank up the number of kills required for a quest and we'll see even more bots. Saying you don't care if someone tags and you kill, then why complain about boting in any format? Essentially it isn't someone playing the game, it is someone letting you play the game for them. They are learning nothing by doing it that way except, someone else can carry me. Also a big problem with the death of the 25, too many people riding coattails.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    If the tedious of it made it fun and made me think it was hard then I don't want it to go.
    I just can't wrap my mind around this because WoW is the game that created the easy leveling experience. Most games prior to WoW didn't even have quests so it was just months and months and months and months of grinding mobs to reach max level. I think it took me almost six months to hit 50 in EverQuest before Kunark came out, and I was a kid who would play for 8 hours a day back then. And when you died you lost experience(if you couldn't get a resurrection to regain some - not all - of the exp back you could be out hours worth of exp) AND had to run back to your corpse naked. And if for whatever reason you couldn't get back to your corpse before the decay timer was over(I think it was three days, but I could be wrong) you lost all your gear.

WoW is the game that created the "easy"(EverQuest leveling still wasn't hard, just time consuming and you had to group for EVERYTHING) MMO.

Deleted
    No thank you very much, it's good as it is. Enough twats from the same faction that I don't want to have follow me around trying to score their kills from me. The ones I don't mind doing that are either in my guild or on my friendlist, and yes I do dailies with other people quite often. It's a lot more fun and efficient than alone imo. Masspull, zerg stuff down, have a laugh while doing it and trying to outdps each other, etc.

To people asking "what do I lose if someone hits a mob for 1% and gets a shared tag, he still helped you":
    First of all, it's called leeching. Morally I find it very rude to do stuff like that in any aspect of life. It's completely wrong, and if you wonder how I got to that conclusion, try imagine everyone doing it. Yeah, great society.
    Secondly, you do actually even lose out on stuff. Let's say I - random example wrt numbers here - did 20 hours of dailies, and got my ilvl up by 5 on one of my alts because of it. Now there's 3 scrubs semi-afk'ing in the quest zones while chatting, cooking, playing another game, or doing whatever. They are every so often mashing tab and then 1. Altogether, they had to do 5 hours of dailies while being able to do something completely different but got same reward. These 3 leechers now have same chance of getting into a pug as me, while in the current system they wouldn't have touched dailies with a 10ft pole. In before: ilvl is not what matters, etc. That's how pugs work a lot of the time, true story.

This suggestion just comes over as wanting stuff for nothing, sorry. Enough ways to be social in wow already, I play with people I like playing with and have fun with them. Trying to force being social like this is just idiotic if you ask me.

Deleted
    Amazed on how many people said no. Do you like to play alone more? Because, as I said, in general when you see another player questing in same area they're a detriment to you for they are killing your mobs. So, in WoW currently it feels like, when questing, other players are more of an annoyance then a nice thing.

I say mob tagging should be removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I'd rather see it removed for another reason: World/server first exploiting.

It's not clever use of game mechanics if it isnt even clever. Derp.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    What was wrong with mob tagging again? Blizzard has already made this mob tagging issue a non-issue. Just do some dailies and you'll know.

Deleted
    For those that play all day it's never been a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    What was wrong with mob tagging again? Blizzard has already made this mob tagging issue a non-issue. Just do some dailies and you'll know.
    The problem IS that, in a game where you're supposed to play with other people, for questing you can't without a stop. If you have 2 people, instead of getting 10 things from mobs, you need 20 because mobs won't drop stuff for both of you.
    If you're outside groups, it's even worse. There's still small areas with mobs where there's only 5-10 mobs and you need to kill 10. Well, if the other guy needs 10 as well, means you'll both be waiting for respawns instead of working together and trying to grab the mobs fastest so the other guy doesn't get them.

The system as it is now works well enough. It's mostly during dailies when the me-first asshole brigade comes out to play, and that too simply dies out after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharn View Post
    Don't know what class you were or race, but I can tell you personally. If that happened to me and I was on a class that could drop aggro on a dime eg. Nightelf or hunter feign death. I'd have done it in a heart beat and let the mob go and grind the jerk into snot.

If they stay to help kill what they tagged I'm more inclined to help, if they run away laughing; I get the last laugh by dropping aggro and watch as they fight 3-5 things.
    And odds are very high that none of those things are going to kill said player (which is also a part of the tedium that makes dailies dull for people)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    The problem IS that, in a game where you're supposed to play with other people, for questing you can't without a stop. If you have 2 people, instead of getting 10 things from mobs, you need 20 because mobs won't drop stuff for both of you.
    If you're outside groups, it's even worse. There's still small areas with mobs where there's only 5-10 mobs and you need to kill 10. Well, if the other guy needs 10 as well, means you'll both be waiting for respawns instead of working together and trying to grab the mobs fastest so the other guy doesn't get them.
    Most of the quests in MoP seem to share quest item drop, can't say the same for dailies never did them in a group. I grouped with a friend from 85-90 and never once do I recall us waiting for the other to get a quest item drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove it. Instead, set a minimum amount of damage that needs to be done to get credit for the kill.

Tagging should *only* be to decide who gets the non-quest item loot.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Yeah, I'm baffled by this because I've been playing since the middle of Vanilla, back when it took full days of play time to get to 60. It wasn't because it was hard it was because drop rates were hella low, respawn was slow, and you moved slowly. The leveling process was never hard unless you didn't know how to play your class/never played and MMO or an RPG/learning a whole new class and that was basically just not knowing how to quest efficiently and what spells to use to down non-elite junk mobs in the world.

I don't find any problem with the current mob tag system. Like someone said earlier if they go to a no tag system they will just crank up the number of kills required for a quest and we'll see even more bots. Saying you don't care if someone tags and you kill, then why complain about boting in any format? Essentially it isn't someone playing the game, it is someone letting you play the game for them. They are learning nothing by doing it that way except, someone else can carry me. Also a big problem with the death of the 25, too many people riding coattails.
    I don't understand why so many MMO players think that tedium = difficulty = fun. Tedium is neither difficult, nor fun. Tedium is not exciting and most certainly does not make me want to play a game.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    Only a non-issue for "boss" mobs or certain elites.

Amazed on how many people said no. Do you like to play alone more? Because, as I said, in general when you see another player questing in same area they're a detriment to you for they are killing your mobs. So, in WoW currently it feels like, when questing, other players are more of an annoyance then a nice thing.

I say mob tagging should be removed.
    Posts a poll
    Sees more people are against stance
    Posts a post that just flat out says "well I think my original position is right".

Arrogant much?

You've already been shown why mob tagging removal doesn't work especially with the player base in wow. Here's your rundown again:

1) Tagging didn't exist initially. The first method was through killing blows. People would actually wait until your mob you were fighting was low and snatch the kill. Keep this in mind because this is a prime example of who you are playing with.

2) People already quest with a lot of tag tag tag while running through. Keep this in mind.

3) Any group quest non taggable etc mob people have already admitted they just smack it once for credit if people are fighting it and keep moving on.

So with all of that in mind, the degenerate player base that we all know exists in wow will basically make the 25% or less of the population do most of the work for them. Tagging is fine.

So no mob tagging should not be removed. However I expect you'll completely ignore what anyone who says it shouldn't be removed says as you already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    No tagging in GW2 was plain simply one of the best aspects of the game.
    Along with "personal gathering nodes".

So: yeah, get rid of it.

I don't understand why so many MMO players think that tedium = difficulty = fun. Tedium is neither difficult, nor fun. Tedium is not exciting and most certainly does not make me want to play a game.
    I like you. Not just because your avatar is augmented. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    When was that because I can not remember it was ever different?
    They've changed it several times. I wanna say the KB thing was mid vanilla and then in BC they changed the requirement for tagging towards the end of the expansion. Originally mob tagging required damage. So if you threw up a dot, it had to tick before you could get the tag. I remember that much from elemental plateau in BC where people claimed affliction was the best farming spec at the time when really it was demo for the felguard charge. I would send in my felguard and some guy would try to beat the felguard to the tag with a dot but the charge(at the time it was the same as the warrior version) would always win out since it damaged on hit. Now it just takes any ability to land to tag although I've noticed shadowfury doesn't tag.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No tagging in GW2 was plain simply one of the best aspects of the game.
    Along with "personal gathering nodes".

So: yeah, get rid of it.
    Do it because I say so isn't a compelling argument and many have been provided that are extremely solid against the removal.

Mob tagging is such an outdated concept and promotes people actually running from eachother because they don't want the other to tag their mobs instead of working together and both getting rewards.

Do you think WoW would benefit if mobs were no longer taggable and everyone who helped kill a mob would get credit, either the same as if they killed the mob alone or even if a bit less then they'd get if they did it alone? Do you like mob tagging or would you rather have people work together to kill mobs and all getting rewards based on participation, kind of like in Rift rifts or GW2?
    This would trun WoW into a zergfest ala GW2. Bad idea I didn't like it in GW2 and I wouldn't like it in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Tagging didn't exist initially. The first method was through killing blows. People would actually wait until your mob you were fighting was low and snatch the kill. Keep this in mind because this is a prime example of who you are playing with.

2) People already quest with a lot of tag tag tag while running through. Keep this in mind.

3) Any group quest non taggable etc mob people have already admitted they just smack it once for credit if people are fighting it and keep moving on.
    1. Killing blow = stupid mechanic.

Proposal:
    Tagging should work only for non quest related loot. Whoever tagged the mob, gets the loot but others can chip in for quest items and quest kills.

2. Your point being??

3. Totally utterly irrelevant. With tagging today you have to kill the mob alone. W/o tagging, if the other is a moron, you still have to kill the mob alone - the damage his DOT / instant does.

I see so solid reason as to why such a system wouldn make questing heaps more comfortable. Again: I'm talking about QUEST RELATED LOOT only.

This would trun WoW into a zergfest ala GW2. Bad idea I didn't like it in GW2 and I wouldn't like it in WoW.
    I just dot up a few mobs and yawn them to death. How is that not zerging?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty nothing has changed about tagging, you need to do damage to tag a mob - what they did change was making dots tick on the initial hit, I'm fairly confident that the way it worked in TBC is the same as it is now, the first to damage a mob gets the tag.
    They fixed that LONG ago. I can pull a mob with vamp touch and it is mine even before the first tick happens. Sure sometimes server latency can screw that up in close calls, making it appear as if the other guy stole it, but he didn't. His cast just landed a few milliseconds earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I'm pretty nothing has changed about tagging, you need to do damage to tag a mob - what they did change was making dots tick on the initial hit, I'm fairly confident that the way it worked in TBC is the same as it is now, the first to damage a mob gets the tag.
    They changed it near the end of BC so that any hostile action (debuffing, taunting, whatever) would tag the mob, instead of only dealing damage. Thus, placing a dot on a mob (since casting a dot is a hostile action, not just the dot's damage) would tag the mob.

OP and all proponents:

Slacker and leeches in BGs. Slackers and leeches in Raids. And now you want to bring that into the questing experience as well? No thank you. You're a fool if you don't understand and accept that there are many, many players out there that will game such a change to the fullest possible extent.

How does it affect me you ask? It insults my sensibilities. I don't need any more reason to dislike it.