Poll: Should mob tagging be removed?

Thread: Mob tagging

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    WoW has been designed around being able to tag a common mob to yourself. Changing this would especially require a look into the looting system. Would it still only be the first person attacking receiving loot or would the solution be something completely different? Questing mechanics are also a small question mark, along with which mobs would be affected by this.

It is also worth considering whether a change would be necessary and beneficial in the first place.

I believe mob tagging should affect loot only, but not quests. anyone who hit a quest mob should get credit for the quest, regardless of tagging.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Would still cause havoc with bots and whatnot whilst questing. Or even less scrupulous players just hitting a mob form afar and letting you do the kill, so they can power through quests.
    a game must never be designed around the premise that people will be botting.

besides, that way it would only get credit in quests. it's not like bots can just inteligently go back to the quest hubs and get more quests. they'd get a couple of quests done and than they'd just help you with your quests, because loot and XP is still on the tag (according to my suggestion) lol

not to mention that a bot autofollowing you and attacking all you attack is the easiest to discover and report.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine you're the tank, you've pulled everything when no one was around and now this DPS comes up throws up a single arcane explosion, multi-shot, whatever. He now runs off leaving you to finish off the mobs while he just snipes tags from other people doing a second quest.
    I don't see the problem.
    - If the player hadn't thrown in an AE you'd have to finish the mobs on your own and get all the loot.
    - If he has, you still have to finish on your own and still get all the loot.

All I see is you going: "waah, waah he doesn't deserve quest credit.." seems more like an entitlement issue to me, not a gameplay issue.

BTW: In reality, if a player wants to finish FAST he will stay and bomb the crap out of your pack. At least that's what I experienced in GW2. It was VERY rare that s/o just poked and ran off b/c then he has to wait and stay in range until I kill the mob.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't see the problem.
    - If the player hadn't thrown in an AE you'd have to finish the mobs on your own and get all the loot.

All I see is you going: "waah, waah he doesn't deserve quest credit.." seems more like an entitlement issue to me, not a gameplay issue.

BTW: In reality, if a player wants to finish FAST he will stay and bomb the crap out of your pack. At least that's what I experienced in GW2. It was VERY rare that s/o just poked and ran off b/c then he has to wait and stay in range until I kill the mob.
    actually with the shared tag system in use the person who did one hit if they are near when the mob(s) hit the ground actually has the full ability to loot so they could do one hit and just loot everything before you, had this happen a few times with melee since I play ranged. so it comes back to do none of the work get all of the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    actually with the shared tag system in use the person who did one hit if they are near when the mob(s) hit the ground actually has the full ability to loot so they could do one hit and just loot everything before you, had this happen a few times with melee since I play ranged. so it comes back to do none of the work get all of the reward.
    The chance of missing out on a grey worth 17 silver would easily be offset by the amount time saved a shared tag system would bring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The chance of missing out on a grey worth 17 silver would easily be offset by the amount time saved a shared tag system would bring.
    not when they are turning up as the mob is about to die and putting one hit on it, also it's not always a grey, often get greens and other stuff. but the fact still stands why should someone who does one hit or a minute amount of the damage to a mob be entitled to anything from it?

I don't see the problem.

You see that because you want any reason to discredit the viewpoint of anyone who disagrees with you. Is it so hard to understand that the majority, in this thread at least, has a different opinion than you?

not when they are turning up as the mob is about to die and putting one hit on it, also it's not always a grey, often get greens and other stuff. but the fact still stands why should someone who does one hit or a minute amount of the damage to a mob be entitled to anything from it?
    I'm sure it would be easy to implement a system that only allows the person that originally tagged to loot anything uncommon or better. So what if someone gets credit for their quest by hitting the mob once just before it dies? How does that negatively impact your game play?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You see that because you want any reason to discredit the viewpoint of anyone who disagrees with you. Is it so hard to understand that the majority, in this thread at least, has a different opinion than you?
    Except that the poll at the top of page shows only 37% of the voters want the current system to remain in place, so I think you'll find that it is your viewpoint that is minority.

If I'm doing a quest in an area I don't want someone coming in and casting one spell on my mobs as well every mob anyone else is fighting to get credit for essentially doing nothing.
    You really need to play Guild Wars 2.

I never once went, "Oh GAWD he got credit for that kill!" because that is a juvenile way of looking at things. I've also had plenty of experiences where my bacon was saved thanks to the efforts of a passerby--he was rewarded for it, just as I was. Unification and a willingness to work together developed much more organically because the system didn't essentially punish you for working with others. The idea that someone else also got credit for "your kill" is childish, WHO CARES!? That's like complaining everyone got a piece of cake even though you cut the first slice.

Ugh, the fact that this is a reoccurring theme among a good portion of the WoW populace disappoints me greatly. It shows that the game has done too good of a job of pitting people against one another rather than further encouraging social interaction and teamwork. It explains how come I've died so many times due to a bad pull even though I had other players watching the entire thing play out without offering a hand.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wheater View Post
    It seems as though they tried to change it with the "Quest Mobs" that anyone can help kill and if you hit it you get credit for. I only noticed them for the first time in mist (perhaps they've been around longer...). The only problem I had with it was that some people would hit the mob with a single spell and take back off to the quest turn in forcing me to kill the mob while they still get credit.
    A certain percentile of damage done might help with that.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:06 PM ----------

Imagine you're the tank, you've pulled everything when no one was around and now this DPS comes up throws up a single arcane explosion, multi-shot, whatever. He now runs off leaving you to finish off the mobs while he just snipes tags from other people doing a second quest.
    So? I don't see the negative. Quests get done quicker, everyone wins.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:08 PM ----------

It's a random roll system. I don't see the relevance. Who cares if they got a better item? You wouldn't have gotten it anyway. All the excuses against a non-tagging system seem to stem from VERY selfish behavior. I believe you lot need to carefully reconsider why your stated arguments are so important that they outweigh the benefits.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2012-11-25 at 07:09 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not going to fix anything, people will just ride on others. Someone tagged a mob? Slap it with an insta spell and move on! PROFIT! It's just going to breed another annoying behaviour when it comes to questing/farming. In the end you'll just have these oddball semi aoe fests, as nobody are really killing anything, just leehcing off others.
    I honestly don't see a problem with the current system, quest critical and boss mobs have a shared tag system, that's all you really need.

Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    It's not going to fix anything, people will just ride on others. Someone tagged a mob? Slap it with an insta spell and move on! PROFIT! It's just going to breed another annoying behaviour when it comes to questing/farming. In the end you'll just have these oddball semi aoe fests, as nobody are really killing anything, just leehcing off others.
    I honestly don't see a problem with the current system, quest critical and boss mobs have a shared tag system, that's all you really need.
    I disagree, all mobs should be open to attack. If you're so concerned about "hit-and-run" tactics(which I've hardly seen myself if at all on GW2) then a percentile based system can be implemented. That way someone will have to do some amount of damage(beyond just a quick pick) to get credited for the kill.

Deleted
    one thing I would like to see is

Tag the mob you get the XP.
    Dont tag the mob, but help to kill it, get the quest credit

Rares,
    Tag the mob, you get the loot,
    Dont tag but help kill it, you get the achievement credit.
    (Got tired of people begging me to invite to a group when killing a rare stating they need it for achievement, then waiting to see what I roll and rolling need on items)

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I'm sure it would be easy to implement a system that only allows the person that originally tagged to loot anything uncommon or better. So what if someone gets credit for their quest by hitting the mob once just before it dies? How does that negatively impact your game play?
    It's not the impact on my gameplay necessarily. It's that multi-tagging on all mobs would encourage lazy behaviors. To be fair, it would encourage cooperation, but you would see a TON of piggybacking. Piggybacking should not be an acceptable way to quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    So? I don't see the negative. Quests get done quicker, everyone wins.
    Quests get done quicker if you're the one leeching off of everyone else doing the work. If you're the one actually fighting the mobs it's no faster.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    one thing I would like to see is

Tag the mob you get the XP.
    Dont tag the mob, but help to kill it, get the quest credit

Rares,
    Tag the mob, you get the loot,
    Dont tag but help kill it, you get the achievement credit.
    (Got tired of people begging me to invite to a group when killing a rare stating they need it for achievement, then waiting to see what I roll and rolling need on items)
    That's why I invite and keep loot set to Master Loot. If they want the achieve credit that's fine but if you can't kill the mob yourself you are not getting any of the loot for me doing the work.

Quests get done quicker if you're the one leeching off of everyone else doing the work. If you're the one actually fighting the mobs it's no faster.
    In order for them to get credit for the mob they would have to damage the mob, thus they would add to the damage you are already doing therefore you would kill the mob quicker.

I don't care if other players get credit for killing a mob I tag, but I'll be damned if I'm going to constantly chain-pull 3-5 mobs for dailies and share loot with people whose help I neither ask for or want. I can dot up multiple mobs and run around chain-pulling and re-applying DoTs and only stop if I'm overpulling and run low on mana (dispersion is laughable nowadays).

If I see someone struggling to kill mobs while doing dailies and it appears they're a healer or tank, if I'm not in a queue I'll invite them to a group to help them plow through. Some specs can't kill 5+ mobs of 400-700k HP simultaneously and have to kill them one at a time, so I don't mind helping them out. Along the same lines if I'm running through and won't need to mount for a few seconds I'll throw dots up on other friendly players' mobs to help them kill said mobs faster. I'm not trying to get credit for those kills (but wouldn't complain if that was changed to give me credit), just being friendly. If I got half of their loot for applying dots while running through, sure I wouldn't mind the free gold, grays, or perhaps green or better loots, but they didn't need nor ask for my help so why should I jack the loot or half of the gold from their mobs?

Thankfully most elites or named mobs in MoP will let you assist and get credit for a kill, that is a HUGE improvement over the old system of spamming AOE's and instacast damage abilities to steal a tag as a mob spawns. Tol'Barad dailies with named mobs to kill were a bitch before tagging was changed, and I don't miss the constant griefing from people who'd already completed those quests. Now at least the worst we have to deal with are certain players or guilds that will tag Sha of Anger then drop threat onto other groups and refuse to share the tag, only picking the mob back up if the other group(s) run off or wipe.

Guild Wars 2 mob tagging is a great feature and makes everything more enjoyable imo

I don't see the problem.
    So I can run up throw an AOE curse of elements which does no damage but tags the mob sit back and wait or do it to anyone else fighting a mob and never have risk even being hit once but still collect all the loot. Seems fair........................

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Damarco View Post
    Guild Wars 2 mob tagging is a great feature and makes everything more enjoyable imo
    It makes everything trivial and it ruins the game. My opinion you have yours.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I believe mob tagging should affect loot only, but not quests. anyone who hit a quest mob should get credit for the quest, regardless of tagging.
    That would be fine with me. I don't really care if people are running around cheesing quests because they wouldnt help you anyway, so you are in the same position as before - killing everything yourself. The problem I have with no tagging is people doing no work and taking some or all of the drops. As a ranged I get cheated out of a lot of loot from mobs that can be multi-tagged since a melee comes in at the last second for the kill credit then loots the mob before I can get there. It doesnt even have to be a melee, just someone closer than me and I am usually far off with my pet tanking.

I would just be happy if they fixed some of the tagging mechanics. If my pet hits it it should be tagged and lootable. If I get a shot off before its tagged its mine. I hate when I shoot something but it gets tagged before the missile hits.