Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What where the best classes in patches 1.0-2.0?

I wish I played that early, but what where the best classes back then?

I heard it was Shamans, Paladins, and Rogues.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I figured Paladins and Rogues where in that category but Shamans, really?

Quote Originally Posted by ExLancer View Post
    I'm just going off of old forum posts and videos.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Here is a pretty accurate description of how pvp was back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWqaBjgAaUI

Deleted
    Windfury pretty much oneshotted people with good 2 hander.

PvE warri was pretty much top tier with mages in naxx otherwise hunters were possible top contenders if played well in pvp and pve

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a Vanilla player, I must say the best class back then must have been either shaman or warlock --> because they could fear you forever until you died >.>
    Duck walks into a bar, says to the bartender, "Got any grapes?" Bartender says no, duck says "Got any grapes?" "No" "Got any grapes?" "NO!" "Got any--" "If you say got any grapes one more time I'm going to nail your bill to the wall..." "Got a nail?" "No." "Got any grapes?"

WF procs with a badass 2Her (ala Unstoppable Force) essentially were a one shot if you crit.

Deleted
    Wasn't Priest's like the "omgwtfuber" healer?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-N-Ike View Post
    As a Vanilla player, I must say the best class back then must have been either shaman or warlock --> because they could fear you forever until you died >.>
    Yeah, no.. If you mean chain fearing was OP? Yeah, as hell. But it got changed pretty quickly as far as I remember, and then back to being owned by shamans/warriors/rogues ;(. Did own dem Mages/Paladins though! lol.

3 minute mage, 2h enhancer shaman, rogues, MS warriors. Ret pallies were only OP if you let them gather Reckoning for 5 minutes, in which time you could have killed them 3-4 times.

In a healing sense paladins: Blessing of Light to increase your heals on someone affected by it by 400/135 for Holy Light and Flash of Light, Blessing of Wisdom to increase mana regen by 40 per 5, and Blessing of Salvation to reduce threat output by 30%. In pvp, Blessing of Sacrifice had no cooldown and transferred a set amount of damage (15-55 depending on rank of the skill) making you effectively immune to polymorph, blind, gouge, freezing trap and scattershot. As well as Blessing of Freedom with a 16 second duration and 20 second cooldown.

Shamans' heals had a higher mana cost per output, but they had chain heal unlike paladins. Grounding totem had a shorter cooldown (10 seconds if i recall?), tremor had no cooldown and pulsed every 3-5 seconds, poison cleansing totems for rogues and hunters (who had viper sting back then, which drained mana) and windfury totem: giving your warriors a chance to swing twice in once, and could stack with sword spec: sword specs could proc off windfury and vice-versa, in addition to windfury having a chance to proc off weapon procs and abilities such as hamstring.

So it goes without saying in a dps sense, warriors with a windfury totem and a 3.8 speed 2 hander were top dogs if they had the support they needed.

Rogues could kill anyone while wearing no gear at all and using a level 1 dagger if they used all their cooldowns and used sap to let their diminishing returns on stuns fall off. In a pve sense, they were very strong once you had stacked up enough '+weapon skills' so your autoattacks would never glance or miss.

Soul Link / Siphon Life warlocks were nigh-impossible to kill, between fear having an upper limit of 30 seconds and Siphon Life more often than not outhealing whatever damage you were doing to them.

Every mage was Arcane Power and then either Fire or Frost: Fire for Presence of Mind pyroblasts, or Frost for PoM frostbolt to Shatter. For a long time you could use 2 On-Use trinkets at the same time for a massive burst of spellpower, enough that no one would survive the blast unless they reflected it back at you (and you didnt survive). On the pve front- once mages reached Naxx gear and stopped fighting bosses that were immune to Fire spells, ignite would 'roll' on top of itself infinitely, as long as you'd keep critting to keep the debuff up, eventually getting ignites to tick into the thousands.

Hunters could play in the same boat as a Rogue and simply continually reset a fight using Scattershot-Feign Death-Freezing Trap every 30 seconds (freezing trap could not be used in combat), then run all the way back to 41 yards out to Aimed Shot you and continue to kite you with concussive shot and stutter-step to auto shoot (autoshoot did not work while moving unless you stopped to fire it everytime your swing timer finished).

Any druid was impossible to stop from escaping you until they added Judgement of Justice for paladins. No cooldown on shifting out of roots, and the pvp bonus stacked with Cheetah Form. If you didn't have a Druid on your warsong team, you were at a severe disadvantage.

Then there are the oddballs of the era like undead shadow priests, enhancement shaman and Reckoning Paladins. Undead Priests were the only ones who got Devouring Plague back then, which made them incredibly powerful: many classes couldn't survive more than 1 round of dots against them. Enhancement shaman used 2 handers back then, which made them akin to warriors with the chance of being able to windfury someone down in 1 swing...if they were lucky. Reckoning paladins would gain bonus swings akin to windfury anytime they were victim to a critical strike, and could store them up to release up to 5 swings at once. I myself was one, and enjoyed having a single clueless horde rogue assist me in killing his entire BRS group, one Reckoning Bomb at a time.

I think that covers it?
    Last edited by mmmmmmmBacon; 2012-11-23 at 09:52 AM.

Paladins and Shaman (2H) were nerfed pre-launch or immidiatly after if I recall correctly. Rogues were OP for a long long time, (check out World of Roguecraft on youtube). Hunters and warlocks were the worst classes that early.

I remembered back in vanilla pvp BGs, the team with the most warriors win, by default.
    A warrior with heal support is a BAMF killing train.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    Hunters and warlocks were the worst classes that early.
    Quoted for truth.

And then they added Soul link (didnt got there till 1.4 if i recall) everyone switched to Demo(SL was the 31 talent of demo) from SM-Ruin(30/0/21)and the burst of cries in forums grew exponentially till a really good chunk of TBC (when they made resilience affected Dots).

One thing to consider is there was not resilience back then so burst classes and specifically alpha strikes were the key of the combat ( a T1 warr tank were rounding 6-8k hp).

Ambush rogues,pompyro mages,windfury(2H) shamans....There were some iconic(most namely despective) like "3min wonder"(youre fantastic every 3 min),the "1111112" mages(arcane explosion,arcane explosion,arcane explosion...fireblast)....

If we are gonna measure it in the crymeter i would say:

First year: Shamans - Mages
    Second year: Warlocks
    Last edited by mmoc62b007bee2; 2012-11-23 at 11:08 AM.

Had a level 60 Enhance Shaman, Full Beasthunters or whatever the blue gear was. Got my EarthShaker from MC and it was GG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The glory days of warrior PVP can be summarized as either:

ARCANITE REAPER
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Or:

Dark Edge of Insanity Chain Proc.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I remember arms warriors being really dominant. Getting an arcanite reaper was mandatory, though.
    Subtlety rogues could stunlock you to death or destroy some clothies within a few GCDs.
    Enhancement shamans with a 2H could get very lucky with Windfury procs, which worked differently back then, and just stomp people into the ground.
    Paladin wasn't really *good*, but if they did it right, you couldn't really kill them.

DRUIDS!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klm2Q7xu_d4

But for real, the only thing I played in vanilla was a warlock, either sm/ruin, heavy affliction, or heavy destruction. I don't remember anything giving too much trouble except warriors and exceptional rogues that got a jump on me.