Poll: Would you like to see long, difficult, level cap questlines return?

10+ Year Old Account

Bring back long, difficult, exciting solo questlines?

One of the things that has disappointed me the most with Mists of Pandaria (and to be clear, this is something that has been happening with WoW for a while now) is the removal of long, 'difficult', and exciting solo quest lines at level cap (like Druid Epic Flight Form quest, Warlock Felsteed, Onyxia attunement, etc). Yes we have dailies and smaller questlines, but none of those really capture the epicness of the long level cap quest lines from pre-Cata.

I would love to see these sorts of quests and questlines reimplemented, and maybe even make them similar to the legendary questlines from Wrath/Cata. Anyone else with me?
    Last edited by Byniri; 2012-11-24 at 06:16 AM.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    They're fun only if you have to do it once. More than once? nooo

The problem is you have potentially three very conflicting words in that subject line; Long, Difficult and exciting...
    For a mass audience where some people don't want long quests (limited time to play), don't want overly difficult quests (have enough stress from Real-Life and is looking to unwind), and exciting is just flat-out plain subjective (some people (like me) think fishing is exciting. :P) it is a nasty way to balance it.

Long and short, just because you find long questlines exciting doesn't mean everybody does. And, Darsy up above pointed out, not everybody wants to run an alt all through that same questline. What became an epic adventure becomes a VERY long winded repeat trip where every sight has been seen...

I'd say it'd depend on how the items tie into the rest of gear progression. Having them there would definitely nice, but people can't/shouldn't feel forced into doing them (particularly, if they're raiding). The best example of the sweet spot I'm describing is probably Quel'Delar. Putting them on par with, say, LFR gear would probably be a good opening.

The mechanics are definitely there. They could serve as an easy framework for world quests and Scenarios.

I guess this discussion will go the same way as "bring back attunement"-threads: most people like the long challenging questchains with a good story, but they love it only once. Therefore, account-bound attunements are usually the final ideas of such threads.

Personally, I would love it, mainly because I love to play WoW as a single-player game and prefer to see my character overcome challenges and learn a good story. However, most quests in Mists were not exactly challenging, I think, so I doubt there is any chance for a comeback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I'd love to see these back, but with a very different reward set-up. I don't want them to be prerequisites for other content (except additional quest chains) or to give out gear with ilvl higher than the concurrent LFR gear.

Ideal rewards would be: a reasonably significant amount of JP or VP (up to 1000 JP or 250 VP) (perhaps having a choice between JP/Honor or between VP/Conquest), substantial reputation gains with a given faction (2000 - 6000 rep, total), frivolous/aesthetic minor glyphs (along the lines of mages' Glyph of Conjure Familiar or green fire for warlocks), mounts (i.e., a blue recolor of Ashes of Alar), and battle/companion pets. Appropriate other rewards would be epic gear up to LFR quality, transmog gear, and some of the current rare-quality BoP crafting orbs (Spirits of Harmony, Chaos Orbs, Frozen Orbs, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by kaikoraimi View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see these back, but with a very different reward set-up. I don't want them to be prerequisites for other content (except additional quest chains) or to give out gear with ilvl higher than the concurrent LFR gear.

Ideal rewards would be: a reasonably significant amount of JP or VP (up to 1000 JP or 250 VP) (perhaps having a choice between JP/Honor or between VP/Conquest), substantial reputation gains with a given faction (2000 - 6000 rep, total), frivolous/aesthetic minor glyphs (along the lines of mages' Glyph of Conjure Familiar or green fire for warlocks), mounts (i.e., a blue recolor of Ashes of Alar), and battle/companion pets. Appropriate other rewards would be epic gear up to LFR quality, transmog gear, and some of the current rare-quality BoP crafting orbs (Spirits of Harmony, Chaos Orbs, Frozen Orbs, etc.).
    Boom there ya go. I could not have said it any better. Optional, but with incentives that don't negate other parts of the game.