View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I think it should.

37 74.00%
  • No, I don't think it should.

11 22.00%
  • Undecided / Waiting for more facts.

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legalizing Marijuana

I was just wondering about peoples thoughts on legalization of Marijuana(With Colorado and what not legalizing it) in America, and even here at home in Canada.

Reasons against: Long term regular usage CAN develop Schizophrenia, the loss of up to 8 IQ points. Also increasing laziness, and the chance of eating more unhealthy foods(deemed stoner food) that can cause health issues, (mostly fast foods, microwaved or processed). Effects the memory centre and cognitive learning parts of your brain as well attentiveness and attention span. Other health factors such as lung damage (Like tabacco smokers, they tend to cough more often, are more likely to chest illnesses and lung infections) , minor to major brain damage and perhaps a more likely chance at an unfit life style. (THC affects the brain, not particularly marijuana itself). Also, chances of having a heart attack while smoking marijuana is 4 times more likely. Long term use develops an addiction(as with most things)

Sources : http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana / http://www.nature.com/news/drop-in-i...is-use-1.11278 / http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm /

Reasons for: Chance to decrease criminal activity (Cartels). Can be regulated like alcohol and add an age restriction, as well as be taxed. Reduce the amount of spending in jails for locking up marijuana smokers/sellers. Highly used already, therefore prohibition is just costly, which little to show for its efforts. Has been linked to help certain patients with cancer. Never proven to be a gateway drug, nor has it been seen to be as addictive as other drugs. Decreases stress, anxiety and other factors that create tension. Reduces neuropathic pain/muscle spasms, and helps with insomnia. Creates a potential business for fun(like nightclubs and bars) for people who prefer not to consume alcohol. Potential profits to be gained, and increase economic standings.

Theorized arguments for legalization, since I have not done too much research on it, but feel free to add arguments to either side, with sources. Sorry for my lack of.

Discuss!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    BOSS IS TANKED BY 1 TANK, OTHER TANK JUST JERKS OFF TILL THAT ONE ADD COMES OUT LOL SO FUN
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Dear sir, would you kindly stop saying such retarded bullshit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Restorection View Post
    Chance to decrease criminal activity
    But drug traffic is criminal activity at it's finest. You might have taken up some mj rolls with your friends and enjoyed it, but have you ever seen a real addict? He'd kill you and rape your corpse for 1 mg of that shit.
    It has positive effects as some studies show, but only in small quantities. Now give this shit to already abusive alcoholics / heavy smokers that want to try the something new and you have yourself a perfect example for disaster.

I don't think many people will go out and start smoking just because it is legal. Most people will have already been smoking it or have smoked before.
    And also i think it would be a whole lot of money for the economy with all the taxes and new jobs.
    Plus its still better than alcohol.

I'm against anything that puts people out of their heads. I don't care what anybody says, it's clearly addicting, or people wouldn't go to such effort to have it. I agree that, short of being a gateway drug for some, it's no worse than alcohol and probably should have the same restrictions. But, as said, I'm against anything that makes people not sober, so the fact that alcohol is legal doesn't sway me. I'd rather make that illegal too and be done with it, but that obviously wouldn't turn out well. But as far as marijuana goes, I suppose for medical purposes it's fine, but otherwise it should either remain illegal or have the very same restrictions as alcohol and be fully acknowledged as a drug. None of this crap about it not being addicting or harmful in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legalize it. Tax it.

Its great that america is doing these things cause all of the eu kissass nations like the one i live in, will follow up eventually.

Also to the op, get some other sources than http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana

Your nation isnt really known for speaking the truth about anything, rather lying, dont take their drug sites for realz. Get credible sources and not your goverments.

I don't think smoking marijuana is any better an idea than smoking a cigarette, but if you don't do it around other people, especially children and the elderly, unless they're an adult that's fine with the second hand smoke, then I don't see why it should be illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we get a new thread on this subject like once a week?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Also, read the sources, if you talk about legalizing it and putting an age restriction on it like booze, then why include a study that shows its effect on teenagers and their use? That really doesn't make a lot of sense to the argument overall.

I live in British Columbia, Canada. Pot is simply a past time in my province that is easily compared to the use of liquor. Only difference in personal experience, that I've seen, is no one who is high on pot has ever gotten into a fight, yelled at or abused a spouse/gf/family member, everything I have seen from the drug is a simple use for relaxing at the end of a long day. Legalize it and tax it already so we can make some money too instead of drug dealers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    But drug traffic is criminal activity at it's finest. You might have taken up some mj rolls with your friends and enjoyed it, but have you ever seen a real addict? He'd kill you and rape your corpse for 1 mg of that shit.
    Never met real stoners, have you? They are more likely to raid your pantry than your panties.

Also, about addicts:

There's a junkie, a guy who does coke and a stoner standing in front of a wall. The wall spans the whole world and is incredibly high. They wanna go over to the other side, but dunno how to do it.
    The junkie says "Just a shot, and I'll just fly over it"
    The coke guy goes "I'LL JUST BREAK DOWN THIS STUPID FUCKINGW ALL RAWR!"
    The stoner lazily looks to the left and right along the wall. Then looks up at how high it is. Finally he sits down and says "Nah, lets just... do it tomorrow or something."

I say yes. Make it legal. I say this because I believe we waste too much money prosecuting people for offenses involving marijuana.

Everyone is gonna get all potted up on weed and get behind the wheel.

Its one of these, for me personally I smoke it weekly not daily or anything just friday after my long day of work before the weekend infront of the tv now I have no trouble at all getting it ( im in England btw ) so if it was made legal I honestly dont see it effecting me in any way other than instead of driving 20 mins to pick up I drive 5 mins down the road to the shop.

In genral Id say initially it would go crazy we are talking major country epedemic of buying it to try it etc but after awhile talking few years the hype will go and it will just be like smoking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda annoyed at the same arguements people throw into the air at the first sound of someone mentioning marijuana legalization.

First off, you're not going to stop street dealers just by making it legal. And if this is something the government sanctions, they're going to want to control it which means we're still gonna be spending the money busting people for intent to traffic. It's going to be taxed like everything else, and people will still grow it in home because of how much easier it is than other controlled substances.

Second, the "benefits" of smoking weed can be gained from many other sources. People talk about the healing powers of marijuana like it's a miracle drug, when in fact many other medications and prescriptions can have the same effect.

I don't mind weed, and I don't mind most of the people who smoke it. I honestly think once it gets legalized, all of the angsty 420tokeupxXx people will sort of fade out. What I do mind is all of the pro arguements for it. While I don't recognize America to be the smartest country, I do recognize it to be one of the greediest. If they haven't tried to cash in on the national legalization of it, then chances are it just has too many negative sides to be worth it.

Deleted
    I have to admit, I struggle to make the jump from the idea of drinking socially to smoking a mild hallucinogen in informal situations. And I'm aware that abuse of alcohol can lead to much more destructive behaviour too.

I worry it could lead to people becoming obsessed with their emotions rather than the external world if it became widely available. But people have pretty strong words against it's restriction on here.

I'm going to laugh when marijuana becomes legal before hemp

Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    And how is that any different from getting drunk and getting behind the wheel? Lets ban alcohol DERPDERP!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Legalize it. Tax it.
    Do you seriously want big companies to make a fortune of other peoples drug use? Like Marlboro and other cigarette companies.

Decriminalize it.

Colorado and Washington legalized it, OP.

At any rate, all evidence shows that it's incredibly beneficial. It promotes brain cell growth, kills cancer cells, reduces risk of Alzheimer, etc.

And I'm more for legalizing it. I know some people are like: "BUT COMPANIES MAKING FORTUNE"
    But honestly, those people don't actually understand economics. You know how much revenue Colorado and Washington are going to make now? If it was overall legalized, the economy would be so much better, it's not even funny.

Another thing is like... it's harder to get alcohol than marijuana. This is fact. I'm 20, so I have to find someone to buy me alcohol, but I can get weed literally anytime I want. It's a joke.
    Our government and the war on drugs is a joke, for that matter.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    Considerably less dangerous than getting behind the wheel while drunk. The most dangerous things stoners do while driving is driving 20 under and forgetting to use their turn signal.

Still shouldn't be operating a car, but it's a lot less dangerous than someone with a few too many beers under their belt.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow