Help with choosing RAM

Attempting to put together my own computer but have absolutely no idea (i have a very basic knowledge of computer parts) what ram to choose.

So far i'm thinking of choosing the following -

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
    CPU: Intel i7 3770
    GPU: Geforce GTX 670

So any tips on what would be a good ram to choose? (Basically use computer for gaming and movies etc).

Comments on MB,GPU and CPU would be appreciated as well if anyone thinks there are "better" options out there.

If you basically use the computer for gaming and movies, then you should switch your i7 3770 to i5-3570k as the i7 gives nothing to gaming over that i5, the amount you save on that you could use on a SSD.
    Your MB is good, but cheaper ones would do just as well, are you planning on overclocking by the way?
    As for RAM you probably should go for 2x4GB 1600Mhz sticks from Kingston or Corsair for example.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Corsair or G.Skill DDR3 RAM you should be looking for.

Some others prefer other brands, but that's mostly down to personal opinion. So far as I know Corsair and G.Skill are the only two who trust their product enough to offer lifetime warranty.

If you do go for the Corsair Vengeance range, make sure you get the "LP or Low Profile" version. You don't need that huge heat spreader which is basically just there to lok flashy and get in the way of any aftermarket CPU cooler you might want to install.

Thanks for the tips guys. What's the deal with 1333mhz 1600mhz etc. Does it matter which one i choose?

10+ Year Old Account
    it's the clock speed the RAM uses. - aka how fast it can access information on each of its memory modules.
    For the most part as a general user you won't notice any difference, but it's usually recommended to get the higher speed if possible. (You can always downclock it later, much more safely than trying to overclock it.)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-11-24 at 01:36 PM.

I agree with Dawgsnstuff. Save money and get a cheaper processor and use that money towards an SSD. You'll see a huge performance increase with an SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    If you basically use the computer for gaming and movies, then you should switch your i7 3770 to i5-3570k as the i7 gives nothing to gaming over that i5, the amount you save on that you could use on a SSD.
    Your MB is good, but cheaper ones would do just as well, are you planning on overclocking by the way?
    As for RAM you probably should go for 2x4GB 1600Mhz sticks from Kingston or Corsair for example.
    I agree with the sentiment but I wouldn't say your choice of CPU gives you NOTHING for gaming. It's true that most modern games are primarily impacted by the GPU due to the high end graphics but there are some games that are very impacted by the CPU speed....MMO's being one of the main examples.

It's really about budget. If money isn't an issue than I would go with the i7 just for the other possible benefits like using the system for Video Editing and Graphics or for Photo Retouching (to name 2). If money is tight than the combo of an i5 with a good SSD with the money saved is a great call.

As far as RAM the only thing I'd reco is staying away from performance RAM (stuff higher than 1600). It's always been twitchy for me when I'ved used it in my builds. My last build I used G.Skill Ram and it's been great.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doesnt matter, take a good 1333 or 1600Mhz RAM and u will be fine.

anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ntsr View Post
    Attempting to put together my own computer but have absolutely no idea (i have a very basic knowledge of computer parts) what ram to choose.

So far i'm thinking of choosing the following -

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
    CPU: Intel i7 3770
    GPU: Geforce GTX 670

So any tips on what would be a good ram to choose? (Basically use computer for gaming and movies etc).

Comments on MB,GPU and CPU would be appreciated as well if anyone thinks there are "better" options out there.
    If you're OC'ing go with a 2600/700k, if not OC'ing - Stay with a i7 3770k. As yours but with a K. Later on you can decide to grab a aftermarket cooler - Cool that CPU and clock it high. I would recommend the sandy bridge for clockers - but since their performance without clock is worse it's not worth it. But up to you, it's just future proof.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by baller1308 View Post
    I agree with Dawgsnstuff. Save money and get a cheaper processor and use that money towards an SSD. You'll see a huge performance increase with an SSD.
    Made my day - FPS increase with SSD. I've now never understood the phenomen people say - SSD = FPS Increase. Lies over lies. It doesn't affect gameplay, if something - Frapsing. But nothing more. Keep the i7.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    To answer you simply - It has Hyper Threading. Better at rendering

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i7 is nothing better at gaming than i5. No games use Hyper-threading as u said its for CAD, 3d MAX and stuff like that.

And im 100% sure u will feel a better performance increase (not fps) from switching to SSd than from switching i5 to i7.

overclock.net/t/1233022/core-i7-i5-3770k-3570k-2600k-2500k-benchmark

I think 1600 RAM will be best, with 1.5V or 1.65V (intel says ~1.5V max but 1.65V should also be no problem)

anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

Maybe u have a look at the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 its 50€ cheaper (i have the ASRock P67 gen3 Extreme4 and no problems, my previous board was Asus Maximus Formula II which had a lot of things to change in bios but u dont really need it exept u have benchtable or something

And take the money u save with ram, cpu and board and buy a SSD like said before or maybe some case fan ect.