First Build attempt, and looking for advise/suggestions

This is my first attempt at a build. I am more of a casual gamer, but do not want to be too underpowered. I am planning on savaging my optical drives and my Soundblaster card form my 2006 Dell XPS 410 that died (Unless someone can tell me why I would be better buying new ones). My thoughts are using a SSD for my OS and a few of my MMO games and the HDD for data, media and other games.
    I am trying to keep it close to $100 budget-wise if I can. but want it last more than a few years as well. Any advise is appreciated.
    *forum will not let me post links yet

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 - Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 - Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 - Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 - NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($158.40 - Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($217.55 - Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 - Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($105.97 - Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($169.65 - Amazon)
    Total: $1056.51

10+ Year Old Account
    I would switch out the Seagate for a Western Digital is all I can think of looking at this. I have had several Seagates from friends machines including a couple I had before go bad. Never had a Western Digital fail on me though. Also if you are willing to forgo all the fear I would say go Windows 8 pro you can get the download version right from Microsoft for 40$ if you want to save the money. Windows 8 link here

I'd switch the CPU for an i5-2500k, other then that it looks pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaya View Post
    I would switch out the Seagate for a Western Digital is all I can think of looking at this. I have had several Seagates from friends machines including a couple I had before go bad. Never had a Western Digital fail on me though. Also if you are willing to forgo all the fear I would say go Windows 8 pro you can get the download version right from Microsoft for 40$ if you want to save the money. Windows 8 link here
    QFT, unless you use seagates enterprise line($$$ and you need a server motherboard because they are SAS drives, or a sata back plane, also $$$), go with western digital as their controllers on the HDD are just of a far higher quality than the seagate ones.

Also, OCZ vertex 4 SSDs are faster than the samsung ones. Little pricier though.

Where is your motherboard?

[QUOTE=Where is your motherboard?[/QUOTE]

Oops:
    Motherboard: [MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99- Newegg)
    Last edited by Won-tolla; 2012-11-24 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Won-tolla View Post
    Where is your motherboard?

Oops:
    Motherboard: [MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99- Newegg)

MSI is good. Motherboard looks good.

If you want to go big or go home: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131821 (I have sabretooth, the 5 year warranty makes me drool)

Your motherboard is perfectly fine, though.

Well I haven't had any experience with MSI boards but one thing I have to admit is the PCB they use is brilliant. Everything is so solid and so flat & straight and the pins are not sticking 5meters out like Asus boards. I wished Asus would do this. Asus really uses weak PCB.

Gigabyte/Asus/MSI/Asrock all are making decent reliable boards but still you want a bugfree bios and good support from the brand which is a factor as well.

I don't see anything wrong in your build but why would you use a PSU of 750W? Seagate hdd switch this one out to a WD blue/black. My Seagate is like 3 months old and has already errors in a smart scan >.<

A lovely seasonic 500-600W should be lovely in it's place. A 650W should be able to sli a gtx 660 if you plan to sli it.

Don't switch the i5 3570k for a 2500k, you're not going to be an extreme overclocker so.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    why would you use a PSU of 750W?.
    Was just afrai
    d of being too under powered

Quote Originally Posted by Won-tolla View Post
    Was just afrai
    d of being too under powered
    Haha I understand that

I don't know exactly how much the minimum requirement is for your setup but I think around 400-430W.

Deleted
    You don't require a third-party CPU cooler for i5/i7 chips unless you intend to REALLY stress them (which is pointless unless you just want to score big on overclocking forums). Granted, they might look a little sexier than the standard Intel cooler, but it's unnecessary expense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    You don't require a third-party CPU cooler for i5/i7 chips unless you intend to REALLY stress them (which is pointless unless you just want to score big on overclocking forums). Granted, they might look a little sexier than the standard Intel cooler, but it's unnecessary expense.
    Less noise
    Overclocking does increase performance in games, so no. Not pointsless.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Less noise
    Overclocking does increase performance in games, so no. Not pointsless.
    You actually need a 3rd party cooler IF you make use of the Asus Turbo profile in the bios. This sets the CPU automatically at 4.2GHz with 1.25Vcore (motherboard auto overvolts) and the stock cooler is not going to hold it. If he starts to manually tweak the overclock for 4.2GHz with 1.1Vcore he doesn't need a 3rd party cooler.

So just to make his life easier, grab a 3rd party cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    And just as a sidenote, never touch the "AUTO OC" "EASYOC" "MAX PERFORMANCE" buttons on the bios.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Is a 250 SSD Overkill? And size and brand recommendations?

I will not be doing and Dual GPU so dropping the PSU to a 600w.

Will going to an OEM Windows just mean I loose tech support from Windows? I thought of going straight to WIN8 but I do not like using stuff that new just to be a test for the company

There has been a lot of rejection of Seagate for Western Digital as far as HDD on other post, Opinions?

I think the two optical I have are Toshiba and both are 6 years old, does that matter much since they are free?

Old Sound card is Soundblaster X-ti oem. That should be swappable since I have the disks for it, correct?
    Last edited by Won-tolla; 2012-11-25 at 02:06 PM.

Win8 boot times are incredible, huge improvement over Win7 in that regard. I'm getting sub 3 second boot times with a Corsair 240GB SSD and Win8.

Seems to run the few games I play better than Win7, FPS increase of a few percent all around. Only downsides I have come across are a few navigational quirks in the OS; but I'm pretty sure you can mod that stuff to Win7 mode with an addon if you really can't get used to it.