Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Lots of camgirls.

Deleted
    I remember talking to a girl who's dad had 'connections' and wanted to smuggle me out of the UK get shipped over to Romania and become her little sex pet in her house, wonder if she's overdosed yet or actually leading a good life

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    I remember talking to a girl who's dad had 'connections' and wanted to smuggle me out of the UK get shipped over to Romania and become her little sex pet in her house, wonder if she's overdosed yet or actually leading a good life
    WTF did I just read ?!

Deleted
    I know some general stuff like location, flag, capital, aproximate population. And of course I know about Vlad and Transylvania.

Other than that I know of Adrian Mutu, a romanian football player. And speaking of football, Steaua Bucharest comes to mind. I believe Dynamo Bucharest is also a team, at least it sounds somewhat familiar. There may be some other romanian football teams I've heard of, but with a lot of eastern european teams I have no clue what nation they belong to unless they're from a capital city.

Also, a good portion of the prostitutes around here (Graz) are from Romania. As are smuggled cigarettes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    I talked to a Romanian fellow for a couple hours once, he was incredibly nice. He talked about his country, seems like a nice place to visit.

...Maybe he was just trying to get me there so I can get gypsy'd.
    No, we covered this point already, romanians are vampires. He wanted your blood, not your money.

But seriously, once again, not all romanians are gypsies. There is a minority of them in Romania like there's a minority of french in Canada or mexicans in USA and so fourth. If he was nice, there's a high chance he was a nice person.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    And everyone saying most gypsies are in Romania, you're wrong. Most gypsies are in USA and if you look at the highest % of country's population then it's in Bulgaria.

Also gypsies come from India, not Romania.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Nothing and I don't care about another european dwarf state.
    We're almost as big as the UK actually in area actually.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...encies_by_area

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Nah, I wouldn't say Ceausescu was tough or evil per-se. The rule of thumb was: everyone MUST have a job and a home even if they didn't deserve it. There was a saying back then "You can't do it, we (the party) will help you. You don't want to do it, we will make you". No one was starving but people had to stand in long lines to buy meat, for example, which was a luxury for city folk back then. TV programs were for just an hour in the evening and it was generally news about Ceausescu. As long as you didn't speak against the establishment, you didn't have much to worry about.

Even today, some people say it was much better during Ceausescu's rule.
    People like to remember the bad part, for example in the last years he tried to pay the debt of the country. Because of that, the food cards were instituted, they gave each person a specific amount of food from the market, while rest went to be sold. Though the debt was payed by '87-'88, he kept the system, which kind of annoyed the people, one of the things that annoyed them the most.
    He did a lot of good stuff, but this food cards system was rubbish and horrible. To be honest I always felt his wife was more of the evil behind the scenes and suggested things that he did because he loved her. She was kind of mean.

However, to compare them/now:
    Then, you had money, but you didn't have what to buy.
    Now, you lack money but there's all sorts of crazy stuff to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    All i know is that it is very poor, or at least it was a short time ago.
    People are poor, we don't lack resources though, but our leadership gives them to other countries. How nice, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yrrildur View Post
    Not that long ago I read that the government made some law which makes the Gypsies pay tax when they are fortunetelling and stuff like that
    Yes, they did. It didn't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I know some general stuff like location, flag, capital, aproximate population. And of course I know about Vlad and Transylvania.

Other than that I know of Adrian Mutu, a romanian football player. And speaking of football, Steaua Bucharest comes to mind. I believe Dynamo Bucharest is also a team, at least it sounds somewhat familiar. There may be some other romanian football teams I've heard of, but with a lot of eastern european teams I have no clue what nation they belong to unless they're from a capital city.

Also, a good portion of the prostitutes around here (Graz) are from Romania. As are smuggled cigarettes.
    Yes on football teams.
    On your cigarettes, it goes like this Russia -> Moldova (in Transnistria, which has a good relation with Russia so lets russians in easily) -> Romania (which has a good relation to Moldova since moldavians are actually romanians in many ways and our leaders try to get them closer and closer because they know that the one politician who will unite the two countries will be forever remembered in history as the one who reunified Romania) -> EU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    Be thankful you declined and still have your liver and kidneys.

Well...

I think I do know a fair deal about your country.

Romania is really an odd place. Despite ethnic "tensions" it is a country that managed to coexist with it's biggest minority which is despite popular belife are not the Romani but Transylvanian Hungarians. Despite the occasional disagreements Hungarians living there generally enjoy a great deal of ethnic autonomy.

Romania supplied many Western European countries with a great deal of professionaly qualified cheap labour. Romanian professionals tend to be well trained (I'm talking about age groups 30+) and take their work seriously. Unqualified labour from Romania tends to be cheap as hell.

A HUGE PLUS is the enviorment. It tends to be well preserved with Transylvania and the Danube Delta being simply amazing. Unfortunatly your coast is complete crap and horribly expensive for the quality it offers, which is I'm sad to say none.

When it comes to tourism really Transylvania as a whole is the shining star of the country. The culture is a West meets East thing. As it's architecture and cuisine. Awsome Gothic cathedrals often can be found in the same city 5 minute walk away from hundreds of years old Eastern Orthodox churches, or late 18-19 century Jewish Synagogues.

The countries "other" side, is RAMPANT corruption. Massive problems with everything from quality of services to complete unreliability. Poor quality products. Massive problems with public safety and general lack of enforcement of public order. Horrible enviorment for small investment, great potential for large scale investments. Also people are walking contradictions. They often can be incredibly polite and helpful and equaly as often completly rude, unhelpful and often even violent. I honestly never managed to figure them out as a people as I never managed to put a finger on the "National Character".

On the long run it is a place that I think could have infinite potential as it is by European terms resource rich with a positive population growth with low wages and available labour, a very diverse and amazinlgly well preserved ecology where only a 3 hour drive separates summer coastal areas from amazing mountain resorts. Great potential for both industrial development and development of tourism. Unfortunatly I really believe Romania needs to shake up it's society a bit and decide upon their own character and where do they belong East or West.

P.S. Unfortunatly currently one of Romania's main exports is beggars, prostitutes and petty criminals. That needs fixing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Also, a good portion of the prostitutes around here (Graz) are from Romania.
    Yeah we get that here as well, sometimes it's sad really, some of them are totally normal girls fooled into sex slaves, "you will get work for us there, it pays well", then get locked up in an appartment or house. They cracked down on a couple of romanian dudes that had done that for a couple of years here in my city about half a year ago, the girls got economic compensation, which will last them quite a while in Romania, but still fucked up and I'm sure what they had gone through will leave scars as well, and in this case it's not girls that wanted to be prostitutes, they came for proper work but got forced into prostitution.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Well...

I think I do know a fair deal about your country.

Romania is really an odd place. Despite ethnic "tensions" it is a country that managed to coexist with it's biggest minority which is despite popular belife are not the Romani but Transylvanian Hungarians. Despite the occasional disagreements Hungarians living there generally enjoy a great deal of ethnic autonomy.

Romania supplied many Western European countries with a great deal of professionaly qualified cheap labour. Romanian professionals tend to be well trained (I'm talking about age groups 30+) and take their work seriously. Unqualified labour from Romania tends to be cheap as hell.

A HUGE PLUS is the enviorment. It tends to be well preserved with Transylvania and the Danube Delta being simply amazing. Unfortunatly your coast is complete crap and horribly expensive for the quality it offers, which is I'm sad to say none.

When it comes to tourism really Transylvania as a whole is the shining star of the country. The culture is a West meets East thing. As it's architecture and cuisine. Awsome Gothic cathedrals often can be found in the same city 5 minute walk away from hundreds of years old Eastern Orthodox churches, or late 18-19 century Jewish Synagogues.

The countries "other" side, is RAMPANT corruption. Massive problems with everything from quality of services to complete unreliability. Poor quality products. Massive problems with public safety and general lack of enforcement of public order. Horrible enviorment for small investment, great potential for large scale investments. Also people are walking contradictions. They often can be incredibly polite and helpful and equaly as often completly rude, unhelpful and often even violent. I honestly never managed to figure them out as a people as I never managed to put a finger on the "National Character".

On the long run it is a place that I think could have infinite potential as it is by European terms resource rich with a positive population growth with low wages and available labour, a very diverse and amazinlgly well preserved ecology where only a 3 hour drive separates summer coastal areas from amazing mountain resorts. Great potential for both industrial development and development of tourism. Unfortunatly I really believe Romania needs to shake up it's society a bit and decide upon their own character and where do they belong East or West.

P.S. Unfortunatly currently one of Romania's main exports is beggars, prostitutes and petty criminals. That needs fixing too.
    Wow, how do you know so much about my country? Yes, everything you said is spot on.

I know it's a new country relative to the other countries in the region.
    In historic sense Romania was first a Monarchy with a king from Germany (Prussia), then under Communism with Ceausescu and Democracy right now.
    The culture seems to be a mixture between Habsburg, Russian, Ottoman and typical Balkan stuff.
    Typical problems for the region such as corruption, political apathy, out of control gypsies, poverty (although it's mostly with gypsies).
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-24 at 11:50 PM.

I hail from a Hungarian/Greek family and I live in Spain. A few years ago I worked on a project in Transylvania for roughly a year. So it's combination of remote family ties, personal experience and first hand knowledge of Romanian immigrants in Spain, whom form the largest ethnic minority in Spain.

many things since my country shares the border with Romania. I know that many romanians are said that they killed ( executed ) Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife, some are not happy that they are in EU. I know that Enigma ( music project/group ) was started by Romanian Michael Cretu, what is the capitol, largest mountain, that Dracula novel was inspired by Vlad Tepes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Things I know:
    - Dracula's hood
    - full of vampires
    - full of gypsies
    - annexed Transylvania from Austria, yeah dawg
    - used to smash the Ottomans back in the day (especially Dracula lol)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Whatever Zooc says .
    LMAO yeah pretty much this. I'll admit I don't know much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I feel my curiosity is starting to chew on me and I'm starting to wonder what do people know about my country, Romania and I thought I'd ask you all.

So, what do you know? Tell me everything!
    Dracula and Cam girls.

According to Zooc, beating up rampaging gypsies is the national sport.
    Also vampires.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I was in Romania for a day or so, about 13 years ago.

At that time:
    - The roads were bad, many potholes, bad ones.
    - The cars were old and shitty.
    - Buildings were decrepit, tired, and ugly.
    - People were commuting to work in ugly old diesel churning buses chock full of people.
    - Nature was lovely.
    - There was McDonald's, and it was cheap.
    - Government officials seemed corruptible.
    - Local currency was worthless... but I still had to show my ID to buy it.

I'm sure much has changed in 13 years. And on the other hand, some things have likely stayed the same.

Overall, it seemed a decade or two behind in development compared to my country, and seemed like a corrupt, sad place.
    Last edited by Elodeon; 2012-11-25 at 12:46 AM.

Deleted
    much corruption in that country. sadly, that's all i know.

Deleted
    All what I know is beer called ciuc. Strong alcoholic dring tzuika(70+%). Fantastic food. Lovely woman. Vlad the Dracula. Rubbish airport in Baku. No motorways (100+ km only). Plenty of dogs on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by rybak View Post
    All what I know is beer called ciuc. Strong alcoholic dring tzuika(70+%). Fantastic food. Lovely woman. Vlad the Dracula. Rubbish airport in Baku. No motorways (100+ km only). Plenty of dogs on the streets.
    Well thats not true, thay have road ( paved ) but only some 230km of highways... Also there is an amazing road called Transfăgărășan, you can check it