Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I know that Transylvania, which most of the people here associate with Romanian as their first pick is part of Romania for less than a century (even less with World War II episode, when it was granted to Hungary, or at least a part of it was). For centuries it belonged to Hungary or states that annexed Hungary (so Ottoman Empire, Austrian Empire and later Austo-Hungarian Empire). And while, as Arnorei pointed out, Romanians believe that proto-Romanians lived in Transylvania before the Hungarians came, Hungarian historians dispute that claim. According to them Transylvania was inhabited by either southern Slavians or Avars before their conquest.

I also know that you have 33 mandates in Europen Parliament right now, but after election in 2014 you will have only 31. Other than that the usual stuff like bordering countries, lots of gypsies, 7th biggest country in EU, Bucharest being the capital, death sentence of Ceausescu, Orthodox being the religious majority. Oh, and Transylvania is yours now, so I guess Vlad the Impaler and his stick fetish.
    Its not that romanians believe that proto romanians lived there, it's a fact. The majority of the population was romanian, used as slave force pretty much by hungarian rulers of the area. Still the majority is romanian and the hungarian minority living there is just that, a minority. It's why in 1918 the huge popular vote was in favor of uniting. The 3 romanian states were being kept divised by the powers that be - turks, russians, habsburgs - exactly because a united Romania could become a dangerous thorn. A point well proven in the late 19th century and early 20th century until ww2. Bucharest was called Little Paris and rightly so, it was the first city in Europe with electric lighting and Romania was exporting grain to pretty much entire Europe. Then communism happened and in those 50 wasted years we got painfully backward. Its mostly a mental issue, as ppl under comunism were taught you dont have to work to be remunerated, there is no work ethic now, and everyone strives at making a quick buck with no work.
    Also Vlad the Impaler had nothing to do with Transilvania, except prolly the confusion with Stokers novel, he was a ruler in Valachia.

The most important thing i know about it is that they got some mean hostels there. A friend of mine who is romanian who also saw that movie confirmed it for me

All I remember is hearing about the vast influx of refugees into that country while Bosnia was going up in smoke during the 1990s.

social media news

Deleted
    Gypsies and filling our prisons in scandinavia thats about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Not much I know its geographical position, that it was dacia/thrace at one time but invaded with a major portion of the local populace exterminated at the hands of the roman emperor Trajan.
    Repopulated/colonized by the romans again hence Romania.
    True, but that was 2000 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    well ... : 1-all it's history bordering 3 big empires trying to chop it down
    2-fascism + communism
    3-present day: corrupt retarded politicians
    4-miracle it still exists
    Indeed it is a miracle. Some hungarian politicians are trying to convince people that the hungarian minority wants to be independent. However, looking better, many do not. If we also look at education, the standard of education is lowest in those regions so not surprised that those that do want to get away are fooled so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by The unknown secret View Post
    united moldavia (romanian part o moldavia and actual moldavia republic) was the gate of christianity, as far as i know 500 ago stefan (the great ? am i right?) sended letters to all european kings and to the pope to ask aid from the ottoman empire no1 came to help but they still defended that part of europe ( east) and other things, in fact romania played a bigger role in europe history, before the first world war they were much better developed than 80% of europe.
    Also i readed that scholomance was based on a romanian story.
    Yup, Stefan the Great (cel Mare)
    And about development... sort of. We were developed in thinking, with this I agree, we had lots of people who went to study in other countries and returned to help the country but it didn't work out that great.

I was reading a book about a politician and writer called Nicolae Iorga. He was politician in Romania before WW2. Besides the giving land to peasants, the problems were similar, corruption, poverty, bad infrastructure etc. so not that much changed.

I'm almost wholesale ignorant of Romania. Saying, "Romania" conjures up some images, but I'm fairly sure they're just pop culture nonsense. I guess I know that Bucharest is large and that I'd like to visit someday (although it's not high on my priority list). I think of the rural areas as being poor, but I don't know if that's right.

Deleted
    I remember it has alot of issues with poor children, and i remember alot of bad orphanages and mental homes abusing children.

When i was at school we had a Catholic nun who used to travel to the country alot to help out and whilst she said the country had alot of problems with corruption and other issues the people in general where nice and kind.

Deleted
    Problem is still here Calelith. And yes because of the corruption we had and still have a ban on adoption children or more to say this days, it's almost impossible to adopt a romanian child, even if he is in foster care with no known parents. So it sucks bigtime as in the early '90 if I remember correct we had an influx of adoptions, mostly from US and at least you could give them a chance to a normal life.

Fastfoward 20 years later and we are still at that stage and now to compare it we are getting "screwed" out of EU founds also. Since some people friends with the people in power before abused the system and defrauded the funds they are stopping all foundings. Kinda the same as with the adoption, it takes a few to block the entire system.
    Last edited by mmoc0127ab56ff; 2012-12-01 at 06:00 PM.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know that it has good house/club music

15+ Year Old Account
    Romania is a breeding ground for hot, sexy women.

that's all anyone needs to know.

oh, and I hear romania has some sexy landscapes and roads.

Deleted
    ahahah well you woudn't link living here i'm telling you. more than several reasons

Deleted
    happy birthday Romania, happy birthday to youuu

People don't like living here because they haven't seen how other people live, in places where there is a war every week

Or in places where people are getting killed in the thousends just because they dont agree with the goverment or because they have a different religion

Or that nice place where people are brainwashed into thinking the president is god on earth and he can do anything he likes because he is divine

Oh noes we have corrupt politicians and stupid people, news flash, they have those in every country on earth stop with the drama queening(is that a thing?) and the sensationalist bullcrap you see on tv every day.

Romania has it WAY WAY better the many other countries, also no one is stopping you from going to whatever country you think its paradise on earth, wait til reality hits you in the face.

This post is directed at those romanians that think Romania is hell on earth or something, mostly Mircea Badea's fangroup i guess, unless he changed his repertoire, haven't seen him in years

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Whatever Zooc says .
    I came to check this thread out as I recently watched the TGS podcast with Zooc talking about Gypsies in Romania. Wierd. ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Well thats not true, thay have road ( paved ) but only some 230km of highways... Also there is an amazing road called Transfăgărășan, you can check it
    I'll be honest, I don't know much about Romania, but I knew about this road.

Wonder how hard it would be to go there for vacation, rent a decent car and tear it up..? Suppose I would have to stop by Germany for the Autobahn as well. Anyone have thoughts on the feasibility of that?
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Well thats not true, thay have road ( paved ) but only some 230km of highways... Also there is an amazing road called Transfăgărășan, you can check it
    Fucking hell, Top Gear is as scripted as most American shows.

Edit: Badly worded. Fucking hell, Top Gear is so scripted.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-12-01 at 10:22 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    Fucking hell, Top Gear is as scripted as most American shows.

Fucking hell they're British in this (the best) version?

OT:I've heard tale that they know how to party, I've seen some of the woman from there, beauty
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Fucking hell they're British in this (the best) version?

OT:I've heard tale that they know how to party, I've seen some of the woman from there, beauty
    Yes, I know they are ENGLISH. What is it with everyone outside of the UK and thinking that British means English?

Deleted
    Happy Birthday to Romania, 1st of December was our National Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I know that Transylvania, which most of the people here associate with Romanian as their first pick is part of Romania for less than a century (even less with World War II episode, when it was granted to Hungary, or at least a part of it was). For centuries it belonged to Hungary or states that annexed Hungary (so Ottoman Empire, Austrian Empire and later Austo-Hungarian Empire). And while, as Arnorei pointed out, Romanians believe that proto-Romanians lived in Transylvania before the Hungarians came, Hungarian historians dispute that claim. According to them Transylvania was inhabited by either southern Slavians or Avars before their conquest.

I also know that you have 33 mandates in Europen Parliament right now, but after election in 2014 you will have only 31. Other than that the usual stuff like bordering countries, lots of gypsies, 7th biggest country in EU, Bucharest being the capital, death sentence of Ceausescu, Orthodox being the religious majority. Oh, and Transylvania is yours now, so I guess Vlad the Impaler and his stick fetish.
    I'm glad you brought this point up. Hungarian people say that, during the retreat of the Roman Empire south of the Danube they took everyone, from leader to peasant. They say that they, the hungarian people, got there in the 8-9th century and there was nobody there so they made their country there while romanina came there (back, again, doesn't matter) only in the 11th century.
    However, this can't be true because of the following:
    -the names of towns from dacic and roman times was preserved, which shows a countinuity, names like Apulum, Napoca, Drobeta, Dierna, Potaissa were kept, a bit different by a letter or so, but still same names.
    -the Donarium from Biertan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biertan_Donarium
    an inscription of sorts, was found in a town that was shown to be around before the hungarians came yet after the aurelian retreat. It's written in latin, not in any slavic language.
    -at other towns, like Porolissum or Morissena, evidence of former temples being turned into places for christian worship was found. For this to happen it means there was a population living there before the hungarians came
    -the voievodates of Gelu, Glad and Menumorut existed before the hungarians came, and were know there up to the 10th century, this was mentioned in the Gesta Hungarorum that they were there when the hungarians started their conquest of the area
    http://www.eliznik.org.uk/RomaniaHis...-gesta_hun.htm
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...arorum_map.jpg
    note that during this time, the last ingredient to the romanian people had come, the slavic people.

Let's also not forget something more. During the 14th century and beyond, it is said that Hungary sent envoys to make marks of defense against other nations. Moldova and Wallachia were founded... yet they were romanian? So, the leaders came from Transylvania, yet they were romanian and founded romanian countries... so this supports the idea that there were already romanians in Transylvania even more.

Even ignoring this, going forward in time, during the 1848 uprising in Transilvania it was ruled by a guy called Avram Iancu, a romanian. He fought against the hungarians. The hungarians were fighting too though for their freedom, yet because of the fighting between the romanians and the hungarians, the empire easily crushed both... Before WW1, there was even a study made showing a large part of the population in Transylvania being romanians. During WW1, romanians went to free Transylvania first. And after WW1, at 1st december 1918, Transylvania voted to join Romania and form Greater Romania. If they were hungarians, why would they have done that?

Now let's look at present days. There's a romanian majority in all Transylvania except a little area in Covasna and Harghita. Yes, many of the people there are hungarian, sasi and secui, and these three are more numerous then romanians. There, and there alone. So, could we argue that proto-romanians left current day Covasna and Harghita and hungarians came there and in that little patch of land there was nobody? Sure, you may, though hard, you may. Can you argue that the entire Transylvania was unoccupied? No way.

You're free to bring your points of course, but this is how I see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    used to be communist and was actually the last communist block country to give it up when they killed the leader... That's all I know
    Depends how you look at it. If you talk about all the communist countries in Eastern Europe, Albania I think was last. If you talk about the countries under soviet rule, Moldova was last (not counting Belarus). If you only count the countries in Eastern Europe that were not part of USSR yet weren't a bit away from soviet leadership, yes, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    I know of Ceausescu who started off as a fairer and more liberal leader of Romania until his latter onset of megalomania. The Palace of the Parliament which he spearheaded construction of looked extremely grandiose and large when I saw footage of it on TV.
    Yea, he was a sort of Kim-Jong-Il of Romania. Maybe if he'd be alive now we'd discover dragon lairs. The House of People by the way, uses the power that a normal 100.000 people town would use. Alone. And we, Romanians, pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    That's very cute... though it's surely not a dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I don't know much about Romania expect for meeting one kid from high school there. He hated that place because he was a gypsies. Told me he was left to die on the streets as a child and he was lucky some body scoop him off the ground so he got adopted. He pretty much boiled it down to if you are not white with blonde hair you are hated there. I'm not sure how true that is but he always went on about it.
    lol, white with blond hair, we're not some aryan supremacists. In fact, you'd be surprised, but black people are treated really well here, and there's quite a few working here. We don't like gypsies though, it's true. Because of a combination of factors, but I won't detail since I might sound racist.

But think about it this way. His mother was a gypsie. Who abandoned him, romanians, or gypsies? When he was living on the streets, what did he do, beg and steal? No offense, but although, after being abandoned, I can understand why he did it (to live), did he expect people to be nice to someone who stole from them?

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Its where they made Agent 47.
    Really? Didn't know that. The first half of Ghost Rider 2 was also made here. That hospital Johnny Cage goes to is the CFR 2 Hospital. He even speaks in romanian there "esti frumoasa" means "you're beautiful".

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm almost wholesale ignorant of Romania. Saying, "Romania" conjures up some images, but I'm fairly sure they're just pop culture nonsense. I guess I know that Bucharest is large and that I'd like to visit someday (although it's not high on my priority list). I think of the rural areas as being poor, but I don't know if that's right.
    Don't come to Bucharest, honestly, not much here. Go to Sibiu, it's a wonderful town full of history. Or Cluj-Napoca or Brasov. But Bucharest no.
    Yes, people in rural (and even some towns) areas are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    I remember it has alot of issues with poor children, and i remember alot of bad orphanages and mental homes abusing children.

When i was at school we had a Catholic nun who used to travel to the country alot to help out and whilst she said the country had alot of problems with corruption and other issues the people in general where nice and kind.
    Yes, the issues with orphanages were mostly resolved until now. It's still not perfect, but no more abuses though. And yes, corruption is rampart.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvayra View Post
    happy birthday Romania, happy birthday to youuu

People don't like living here because they haven't seen how other people live, in places where there is a war every week

Or in places where people are getting killed in the thousends just because they dont agree with the goverment or because they have a different religion

Or that nice place where people are brainwashed into thinking the president is god on earth and he can do anything he likes because he is divine

Oh noes we have corrupt politicians and stupid people, news flash, they have those in every country on earth stop with the drama queening(is that a thing?) and the sensationalist bullcrap you see on tv every day.

Romania has it WAY WAY better the many other countries, also no one is stopping you from going to whatever country you think its paradise on earth, wait til reality hits you in the face.

This post is directed at those romanians that think Romania is hell on earth or something, mostly Mircea Badea's fangroup i guess, unless he changed his repertoire, haven't seen him in years
    And you're going the opposite way, thinking the country is perfect and there's no fault since there's corruption and stuff everywhere after all, right? You're as worse as the people who think Romania is the worst country on Earth or something, you're only sitting at the opposite end of the spectrum. And to be honest, I'd rather listen to Mircea Badea then Basescu. Though I like neither.

Deleted
    I know its a country in southeastern Europe. It borders Moldavia, Bulgaria and maybe the Ukraine? Also some former Yugoslav country, probably.

I know Romanian is a romance language (descended from Latin)

I know there's a place called Transylvania there. And I know Dracula lived there. Maybe.

I know it was part of the Ottoman Empire.

I know there's lots of gypsies there.

That's all I can remember right now.

hollywood loves to use it as the setting for eastern european hellhole, where every illegal act is committed with regularity and criminal enterprises run everything. i kind of doubt that portrayal is accurate though. i certainly hope it isnt