Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I feel my curiosity is starting to chew on me and I'm starting to wonder what do people know about my country, Romania and I thought I'd ask you all.

So, what do you know? Tell me everything!
    came in thinking this was a doctor who thread about romana. i am disappoint
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Sorry i know about Romania only is located in Balcani and have form of a fish and have some well know persons Nicolae Ceausescu (my favorite),Nadia Comaneci,Hagii i think and Vlad Dracul and lost a loot no more sry

Deleted
    I heard the Romanian president is the most honest and incorruptible superhero in the world of politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a Romanian myself. I'd be better off not knowing anything about this country. The bad seriously outweighs the good.

Although we do have good internet.
    Last edited by Coffer; 2013-04-12 at 06:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know Vlad the impaler was born there.

That's about it really. :<
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

I know the wine from Moldova is better than the wine from Romania :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I know my VPN is based out of Romania and I end up having to use Romanian google, thats about it tho.

I know that my AK-47 was made in Romania
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-04-12 at 07:55 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkholder View Post
    Sorry i know about Romania only is located in Balcani and have form of a fish and have some well know persons Nicolae Ceausescu (my favorite),Nadia Comaneci,Hagii i think and Vlad Dracul and lost a loot no more sry
    So your favourite is the dictator? He wasn't as bad as some claim him to be, but he wasn't a good guy either, I'll tell you that. In the 1980's the population was starving because of him. I can't say someone because of which the population suffered was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    I heard the Romanian president is the most honest and incorruptible superhero in the world of politics.
    Well ... ahem ... no. I'll explain logically:
    - in the communist era, everyone traveling abroad was required to be a member of the party, if you wanted to travel abroad and you did so on a ship, or as something important, you needed to be someone important in the communist party. Basescu, our president, was a ship captain and traveled abroad.
    - most of the old people who got into politics after 1990 were former communist party members. Illiescu, the first president after the revolution, was especially know, but others were too. Roman was also one, and so was Basescu, there are still some videos of him from before 1990 showing this clearly.
    - in the time he was transport minister, all our fleet disappeared. Like *poof* Nobody knows exactly what happened to it.
    - after he became president, he still supported his party until recently, giving stuff to his little daughter and supporting her political campaign (she's now an eurodeputee at the EU parliament), his brother was caught on bringing in smuggled stuff from abroad (in ships, I wonder where those came from!) but was released despite there being clear arguments against him.
    - last year we had a vote to make him resign, though 47% of the population came and voted for his resignation, he didn't resign and couldn't be torn down because the Constitution says that you need 50% + 1 of people to vote. The percentage that came though was the usual one we had at most elections in last few years. He then tried to turn the vote in his favour saying that those that didn't vote actually supported him!

So overall, he's as corrupt as the rest. Our politicians are almost all corrupt and those that are not have their voices drowned by those that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    I know the wine from Moldova is better than the wine from Romania :P
    Depends on which parts. In general, the wine from both Moldova (I presume you mean the Republic of Moldova, as the Moldova simple is part of Romania) and Romania is really good comparing to other countries, we got quite a few awards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know nothing about Romania, it probably doesn't affect me in any way and I wouldn't even be able to point it out on a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I feel my curiosity is starting to chew on me and I'm starting to wonder what do people know about my country, Romania and I thought I'd ask you all.

So, what do you know? Tell me everything!
    I remember hearing Vlad the Impaler was from Romania.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    I know my VPN is based out of Romania and I end up having to use Romanian google, thats about it tho.
    Did you manage to change language in english? I can help you with that if you're having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I knwo that my AK-47 was made in Romania
    I didn't know that, you find new stuff every day

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I know nothing about Romania, it probably doesn't affect me in any way and I wouldn't even be able to point it out on a map.
    And you know why nothing from Romania affects you? Because someone killed all the damned vampires! Who'd do such a thing?!

Now, I tell you, if we had vampires today...

10+ Year Old Account
    And you know why nothing from Romania affects you? Because someone killed all the damned vampires! Who'd do such a thing?!

I hope no one mentions Twilight. I agree with you, though

you'd be surprised how many medieval castles and such we had that are now just a bunch of piles of rocks due to nobody caring about them.
    I think that's sad. I find the rich cultures and history of European countries very fascinating and those castles are part of the heritage. Good or bad, it's sad to just throw away history.

To answer the OP's question though, I honestly don't know much at all. I think of the same things that others have mentioned, Dracula, Transylvania, the Carpathian Mountains, and gypsies.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 02:04 PM ----------

You know, a few months ago I heard there was some small village somewhere in Romania that still believes they have a vampire among them. The older people believe it's real, the rest keep the rumor going to generate tourism. I don't know if there's any truth to the news article though. (yes I know there's no such thing as vampires, I mean I don't know if there's really a village living with that rumor)

I know that they used Cyrillic alphabet until 1860s.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I know is that Bucharest is the capital and my Spanish speaking buddies who have heard Romanian said they could understand it somewhat, meaning it's a latin based language, which makes sense with a name like Romania.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quite a few castles located there because of it's strategic importance during the Dark Ages. Has a lot of untouched wilderness. Temperate climate if I'm not mistaken. Josh Gates went there for an episode of Destination Truth also. It's also close to the genetic birthplace of the Apple Tree if I'm not mistaken. It's either Romania or close by in that locale of the world. I remember the country in question has a city built in the genetic birthplace of the Apple Tree. Really beautiful town can't be too far from Romania if it isn't Romania itself.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's where vampires come from, there and Transylvania

Deleted
    The Romanian football team plays in yellow. That's me done.

Deleted
    Dracula castle is there.
    Theres a decent football team that used to be pretty good (steaua bucuresti).
    Bucuresti (bucharest) is the capital.
    Constanta is the nicest city.
    Difference between poor and rich people is massive.
    Rich people can get all the things they want, including good healthcare, poor people cant.
    20% of the population is unemployed, 90% of the working population gets paid less than half of what we call a "social minimum" in western europe.
    You can buy a really nice house there for around 40k euros.
    Holidays there are really cheap for west-european standards (last holiday there cost me around 1000 euros, and that was with all luxury i wanted, for 3 weeks).
    The country is beautiful, especially if you go outside the cities, but can also be dangerous because of the high crime rate.

"Haide" means "come" or "let's go".

By ratio, i believe Romania to have the largest amount of beautiful women (was stunned the few times i went there on holidays).