Itemisation vs. iLevel

I seem to be plagued with hit and crit (affliction) on all my item upgrades. Lately I've noticed that I've been getting lower IL items with much better (mastery and haste) itemisation. On the one hand, I'm looking at IL and thinking that even though it's not perfect stat allocation, it's still got more stat allocation, and yet on the other I can't help but feel that I'd be better off with the lower IL gear.

Short of doing a lot of math and SC experimentation myself, I was wondering what people's opinions and experiences were on this matter.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

generally higher ilvl = higher main stat, ie Int, Str, Agi.

But without running a sim its truly guessing then.

Deleted
    I've noticed that usually dropping a few ilvls for a little int loss (489 to 483 for example) but for mastery and haste gains is usally a DPS gain overall. I personally use the compare tool on wowhead and plug on my stat weights, gems and reforges to see which piece is better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I seem to be plagued with hit and crit (affliction) on all my item upgrades. Lately I've noticed that I've been getting lower IL items with much better (mastery and haste) itemisation. On the one hand, I'm looking at IL and thinking that even though it's not perfect stat allocation, it's still got more stat allocation, and yet on the other I can't help but feel that I'd be better off with the lower IL gear.

Short of doing a lot of math and SC experimentation myself, I was wondering what people's opinions and experiences were on this matter.
    Simming is the only way to make sure.

Else, well.

If its a "little" upgrade, like 6 itemlvl, will prob not be worth it, if the upper one have crit on it.

My stat weights (On top of my head, can't remember atm), is something like 135 Crit, and Haste / Mastery hover around 200-210, and Int around 350.

Assuming your hit capping regardless, which means hit is equal to your best stat or slightly better, as your worst stat will just go there, to the cap, along with some of the best stats too, you would loose (200-135) pr stat point of crit instead of mastery/haste. To outweight, the int gain + the other stat gain, to have a higher dps value. So.... Basicly, Crit*135-Stat you lose*200+Int gained*350+Other stat gained*200. If this is positive, congrats - its a upgrade. Not counting Haste breakpoints, etc!:
    This also is also assuming haste and mastery is worth the same, which they are not.
    This is totally nabkind math, and SIMMING is much more recommended.

I'd say for every Int you lose, you should be able to convert about 6 Crit to Haste/Mastery or it won't be an upgrade. Stat weights might vary. So if we are talking about 496 -> 489 downgrade (perfect 489 chest vs. bad 496 chest) you'll lose 77 Int and can convert roughly 420-430 Crit to a better stat (496 will have about 420-430 Crit after reforge if secondary stats are even). So without simming it, I'd say it's not an upgrade but won't be that much worse either.

Deleted
    Just calculate it. Check your stat weights. For example:
    Int = 4
    Mastery = 2
    Haste = 1.9
    Crit Chance = 1.5

Then lets say higher item level item has 50 more int, which is 200 dps. It also has 250 Crit when forged to mastery and 200 less mastery than the lower ilvl item.
    So now other item has 200dps + 375 (250 crit*1.5) vs 400 (200 mastery*2)
    575 vs 400.