Thread: SLI help.

10+ Year Old Account

SLI help.

So currently I have a single GTX680 DirectcuII and I was looking into getting another. The only problem is space, whilst I can fit another in there it will literally be sandwiched against the other, leaving the top one with no way to pull in air. I could see this being extremely problematic.

I've seen pictures of it done before but I'm not sure how practical it is, has anyone done or seen this? do you have any ideas what the temps are like on the card that can barely take any air? and can I get some sort of expansion device to move the PCI slot down a little even?

Thanks, Ineko.

Edit: I'm also using a Sabertooth Z77 board.
    Last edited by Ineko; 2012-11-25 at 12:54 AM.

Don't take this as absolute truth, but I vaguely remember hearing/reading that you'll be fine if the top card blows air out from the back of the case mostly instead of down towards the second card. Temperatures will still be high, but not dangerously high.

This is also why most motherboards do not have the 16x PCIe slots stacked right next to each other.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Don't take this as absolute truth, but I vaguely remember hearing/reading that you'll be fine if the top card blows air out from the back of the case mostly instead of down towards the second card. Temperatures will still be high, but not dangerously high.

This is also why most motherboards do not have the 16x PCIe slots stacked right next to each other.
    Yea, the custom coolers blow air into the PC not out the back, I'm just worried about air intake because they'll be so close.

Top card will be the most warm one, and want fresh air the most (if nothing else, because you have your monitors plugged into it).
    If you have the option of a side-intake fan, I would go with Reference design top, and aftermarket below. If you do not have that, your bottom aftermarket card will whip warm air around in your case to feed to your top, reference card.

As for moving cards around, there are products like these. (Actual product not a recommendation due to lack of time investigating that particular one; it is just for show)