Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling a rogue--is it tough ?

I would like to roll a rogue just for experiencing all the quests, soloing etc.
    All of my other toons were power leveled via bgs and/or dungeons as such I have missed out on the "immersion" aspect of wow.
    Having said that, is it easy to play a rogue starting from level 1 with all the nerfs ?.
    I would also like to point out that I do have access to an entire heirloom set for a rogue.

The real question is... is it worth it? Because in their current state, I haven't heard a SINGLE positive thing said about them. There are a lot of other viable classes to choose from...rogues currently are in a pretty meh place. But to answer your question... no. It shouldn't be difficult at all. If ya get into the whole rogue mentality, it's actually very fun. I really enjoyed the little roleplaying I did when playing my rogue, pick pocketing people, infiltrating bases etc. THAT was fun.

I suggest doing mainly bgs to level your rogue. Have fun one shotting people while you can. Personally, I found rogue leveling via quest painful, boring, and with loads of downtime.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not hard.
    With a heirloom set, it's even easier.
    The 'nerfs/'UP'' doesn't affect the leveling stage unless you care about being top dps in dungeons and being top in BGs.

GOGOGO!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Leveling isn't particularly hard. It's insanely boring and time consuming at times, but definitely not hard. When I leveled my rogue, we didn't get Fan of Knives until level 70 or something, making us rather "bad" at clearing large mobs. Whether that's still an issue, I can't say, but that was the only real problem I encountered when I leveled mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JdK-TD7V-s

btw, playing a rogue while listening to this...just makes you feel so boss! Ah... good memories leveling to this song back in wotlk!

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel that leveling a rogue is easier than most other classes. You can avoid many unwanted mobs on your way to finish your quest, only go after the targets specific for your quest without bothering with everyone else on your way by stealthing past them. And should the situation occur that you are overwhelmed, you will always have vanish to leave combat unscathed. How many times haven't you died when playing other classes and had way too many mobs attacking you at the same time while not being able to do anything about it except for dying and hope to bring as many as you can down with you?

Whenever I play another class, like say mage, I feel uneasy just because I don't have the ability to skip mobs without getting them all on me. And I have to kill them all on my way over to my target. I have to pick a night elf race just because of their shadowmeld since it at least offers me some sort of security net should I need it. But I guess it's just me and I have played rogue for way too long, having it as my only main since 2005....

10+ Year Old Account
    I really didn't find this the case from 80-90, specifically. I've got 5 at 90 atm, and nothing required as much awareness or concentration as my rogue. Second wind/victory rush let my warrior faceroll DPS through every area (my top death cause was cliff-diving, followed by engaging a rare with a "run away" mechanic in a tiny hut). Life drain/pets made my warlock breeze through (died a few times to relearning the class), my bear still has stealth and doesn't care anyway (what're 15 mobs between friends?), and my monk... brewmasters... yeah. Like leveling a high-DPS blood DK.

As a rogue... I had stealth and sap, but if I pulled 4+ mobs, I was really in trouble and HAD to escape, where every alt I leveled didn't blink at the event. There were a few moments when I had to consider the movement time between spaced-out mobs causing SnD/Recup to fall off generating "ramp up" again which wasn't an issue with the fewer buffs any of my alts had to keep up... I felt like I needed to use all of my expanded toolkit to live, not just to be massively effective.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    All of my other toons were power leveled via bgs and/or dungeons as such I have missed out on the "immersion" aspect of wow.
    Having said that, is it easy to play a rogue starting from level 1 with all the nerfs ?.
    I would also like to point out that I do have access to an entire heirloom set for a rogue.
    Probably all you care is 85+ MoP content, well I say rogue has his/her own benefits while leveling. Stealth/sap other cc it's golden I love it, it makes game so much fun and have advantages in quite few situations. Soloing is fine to, mobs die fast, leeching, cloak glyphed other stuff helps a in a long run if u trying to pound hard mob. Most of all it's fun it's not exactly faceroll (In my opinion) like some classes do. I went assasination 10-90 picked up any possible heirloom, and do not regret single minute playing my rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, No, nO, NO! Rogues are the most BORING class to play while levelling! I've lvled 3 rogues so far, all to 85 and they're EXTREMELY boring to play! Most fun class to play while lvling would be Shaman/Druid/Monk to a certain extend.

I really enjoyed lvling my shaman because of the good sustained damage, and requiring no positioning at all.

Druids because of the versatility. Though, as feral I wouldn't recommend chain pulling 5 mobs at once without CDs :P

Monks are quite boring to lvl. At least as windwalker until lvl 54, which is when you get Rising Sun Kick (main nuke). Chain pulling mobs while Spinning Crane Kick spamming with Chi Wave and Expel Harm... <3 really awesome AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    The real question is... is it worth it? Because in their current state, I haven't heard a SINGLE positive thing said about them. There are a lot of other viable classes to choose from...rogues currently are in a pretty meh place. But to answer your question... no. It shouldn't be difficult at all. If ya get into the whole rogue mentality, it's actually very fun. I really enjoyed the little roleplaying I did when playing my rogue, pick pocketing people, infiltrating bases etc. THAT was fun.
    Infiltrating bases, pick pocketing was probably the best part. Except there isn't alot of quests to infiltrate in MoP. Mostly all kill quests so again bliz failed to give some love to rogues. Let's put it this way, my main is warrior and I suck at pvp and I have not lost to a rogue yet. Freaking owning rogues and I never could before. So they need some loving.
    Last edited by thewespie; 2012-11-25 at 09:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling any class isn't tough with BOAs. I leveled a rogue before heirlooms. I died a lot, to the smallest stupidest things. I was squishy. I left my rogue at 80 in wrath and moved on, so I can't tell you how rogue is as of now. I hear mixed feelings about them, especially late game, since blizz decides to take a nerf bat to everyone, I see a couple of my friends playing other toons. I would definitely take advantage of the low level pvp, that is, if you are into pvp at all!

Deleted
    The same rotation you have at 10 lvl you gonna have at 90 lvl...

DASFSGSGSGSAGSAFSAGASGSGSGG.................................Wait 12412414 Years for rogue to be fixed and to be kinda enjoyable.....

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i had the least amount of fun when i leveled my rogue back in cata to 85. it was just plain boring to me. that being said, no its not hard, leveling is for the most part, in my opinion, a joke

meh 85-90, its not tough, but its not easy, 3+ mobs will easlily kill you, you want to use as many stuns as you can and keep recup up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    I really didn't find this the case from 80-90, specifically.

As a rogue... I had stealth and sap, but if I pulled 4+ mobs, I was really in trouble and HAD to escape, where every alt I leveled didn't blink at the event. There were a few moments when I had to consider the movement time between spaced-out mobs causing SnD/Recup to fall off generating "ramp up" again which wasn't an issue with the fewer buffs any of my alts had to keep up... I felt like I needed to use all of my expanded toolkit to live, not just to be massively effective.
    I'd have to agree with this. I do love my rogue and was my first class to level every expansion. This one though I guess they all just hit harder with more mob density but I had a lot more trouble this expansion than I ever have and I've played a rogue since vanilla. When I can stealth in and sap one and take one out it's awesome and I enjoy everything. When I can sap one and then I have 3-4 on me and evasion isn't up, it is going to be pretty close.

In comparison I dusted off my old hunter last night to help my wife with some early quests in MoP. Marks spec with a dps spec pet, I was able to pull entire groups without a hiccup and I barely even remembered what half my abilities did, I would have surely been dead on my rogue doing the same thing. I imagine if I went BM spec and had a tank pet it would have been even easier. To make the comparison even more obvious my rogue was in pretty good gear going into this expansion and the hunter I'm referencing is in green leveling gear as he was shelved as soon as he hit 85, even had some 80 pieces on still.

Can't remember at what lvl were those huge secondary stat rating leaps, (maybe 88+?) but after that your energy regeneration will be practically 0. I found combat to be the best for questing, gets the most out of leeching poison and flurry + AR+SB can kill 3-4 mobs quite fast.
    I've lvld a rogue to 90, a mage and an ele shammy to 88 atm with rogue having full hc gear + daggers and I kill stuff much faster with the other 2 even at the lower lvls. If i get a bit lucky with my shammy I can 2-3 shot most mobs of equal level...

Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    Do it, rogue is an awesome class. About levelling I have only had experience with Combat, it was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I can't speak to PVP because I don't participate in it.

But for levelling purposes, rogues are the easiest class to level in my opinion. Vanish, Sap, Stealth, multiple stuns, Blind, Sprint, killing things very quickly, all contribute to fast levelling. Rogue used to be my favourite class and I've played one in every expansion and levelled half a dozen. MoP is the first time I'm probably not going to level one. But I'm guessing it's mostly the same. Subtlety tends to be the best levelling spec in my experience because it has excellent burst and survivability.

I would recommend Nightstalker (stealthing to objectives faster), Nerve Strike for survivability and less downtime, Leaching Poison for the same, toss-up between Shadowstep and Preperation so just go with preference, and Prey on the Weak primarily because I think Leaching Poison is better than Paralytic Poison and you can only have one non-lethal.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

Deleted
    I don't recall leveling my rogue being hard but that was before MoP, which I gather doubled the HPs of lower level mobs. It still should be fine though. I'd strongly recommend the glyph of deadly momentum - that's amazing for leveling.

I was combat, which was pretty solid in leveling dungeons thanks to the cleave. However, I did not "feel" much like a rogue and neglected the many abilities rogues had, going for an extremely basic but effective rotation. Other specs may be more interesting. If you really want to immerse yourself in being a rogue, you might trying doing a lot of PvP while leveling: so many of the abilities rogues have seem designed for that. I don't think leveling a combat rogue taught me to be a good rogue player; I use my rogue for skinning and leather working only, preferring to play on my tanks (a rogue is close to the antithesis of a tank).

I am finding that at Level 90 my rogue is very frustrating to do dailies with - aggroing two trash packs (e.g. weak hozen or even fish) is life threatening. My rogue seems best at bursting down one or two opponents, and rather fragile in AOE (the heal from recuperate needs combo points, but with AOE trash mobs they die too quick to get them). I thought I'd never use the 90k health potions I've been accumulating, but my rogue gulps them down. I never found this while leveling, however.