Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do you the jobs with lots of free time such as security guard?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ptionist/page5
    On the above thread I asked about what jobs gives you lots of free time.

Many mentioned security guard as the job where you get lots of free time.
    I sent my resume to local security guard postings on Craiglist but no luck so far.

May I ask what kind of experiences you guys had on your resume and any general tips to get the job?

There's lots of guys who apply to security guard positions after serving in the military. If you haven't been serving, you chances of getting such positions are lower, I'd say.
    Can't suggest anything about resumes, mine's pretty average, and I got a job that I didn't apply for (since I listed a lot of random experiences and the company happened to need someone like me).
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Resume:

- Short but understandable (feel free to leave out irrelevant information such as highschool (if you have a uni grade), part-time jobs that aren't related, etc)
    - Use bullet points (don't write sentences!)
    - Follows a neat and easy to read template
    - Apply a decent looking foto
    - The most relevant/recent information is always at the top
    - Try to make your resume (and application letter) stick out (companies often get a lot of letters, so if you're booring you'll be forgotten)
    - Combine the information in your resume with what you write in your application letter (i.e. give examples from jobs that are in your C.V.)
    - Include an "other" topic or "character" topic where you can talk about your personality

I think these are the most basic things when it comes down to writing a CV.
    Besides that, make sure they don't forget about you. If you've sent your application and you're not getting a response, call them! Continue to remind them until you either get an actual rejection or they hire you. If you're willing to keep on pushing, they'll see that you're determinated, which a valued ability!

Most security positions want retired police or military experience. They can afford to be picky.

How about you just focus on getting *a* job, rather than spending all this time looking for one where you think it will allow you to be the laziest slag possible.

Your "I want a job where I get paid to do nothing" attitude is going to get you nowhere.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Parking garage attendant. Those guys do nothing all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had two people quit our site a week ago so I was looking into replacements for them. Basically, if they didn't call to check up on the "status of their resume", I didn't even consider them. People throw around resumes all of the time, if you can't even take the effort to double up on your search and make a 3 minute phone call, I won't take a second look at your resume.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceda View Post
    We had two people quit our site a week ago so I was looking into replacements for them. Basically, if they didn't call to check up on the "status of their resume", I didn't even consider them. People throw around resumes all of the time, if you can't even take the effort to double up on your search and make a 3 minute phone call, I won't take a second look at your resume.
    How are you searching for applicants ? If your ad request a resume by email or mail, calling to check up on the application is considered bad mannered and rude.
    It assumes the one receiving your resume has made a mistake.

Taking a guess resume is similar to our CV,

If I phoned up any of the last couple of places I've handed in CV, they'd of binned it for me giving the impression I was impatient and would assume I would be like that in the work place,
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Parking garage attendant. Those guys do nothing all day.
    I applied for that job too but no answer... There is only one place to apply for that job in my area. Where should I move where these kinds of jobs are plenty?

Does your security company have lots of free time for the security guards?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    When you apply, do you ask them if you get a lot of free time during working hours?

Deleted
    Pointless question as no one reading this thread would want to hire you

you seem very desperate to get any job where you can do as little as possible all day, while I dont really respect that worth ethic you should know,

- While some jobs may have you literally doing nothing all day alot of them will deny you entertaining yourself IE playing wow, trolling the internet tv anything. A friend of mine got fired for playing wow on his laptop during a night security shift where there was literally nothing to do and trust me after doing it, spending 4 hours without anything to do is one of the worst things ever, its not in anyway easy money its mentally demanding.

Deleted
    Join the airforce.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    When you apply, do you ask them if you get a lot of free time during working hours?
    God I hope he is.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

If I phoned up any of the last couple of places I've handed in CV, they'd of binned it for me giving the impression I was impatient and would assume I would be like that in the work place,
    Yeah this guy is very against the grain. It IS proper etiquette to NOT call after submitting a resume. You could maybe be ok with an email follow up, but you certainly don't call.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say connections. Connections with someone who is in fire department, police, or in the place your looking at. The more they can trust you and know you're loyal the better. Could be as simple as linkedin I suppose.

Having a reference connection is helpful everywhere but even more so in security. Also, clean criminal and driving record is a must.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-11-25 at 05:19 PM.

Deleted
    Air force probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ptionist/page5
    On the above thread I asked about what jobs gives you lots of free time.

Many mentioned security guard as the job where you get lots of free time.
    I sent my resume to local security guard postings on Craiglist but no luck so far.

May I ask what kind of experiences you guys had on your resume and any general tips to get the job?
    I'm just curious, did you do any of the security training for your certificates? I'm a security guard and you need to have your certificates in order to work as a guard. After you get your 8hr pre and 16hr (fireguard is optional) certificates, it is pretty easy to get a job. After 1 week i got a job at Zara which is a high profile clothing store pay 12/hr. I don't even have my security license yet.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

What??? That's exactly the opposite you want to do. You show them you take initiative and that you want the job if you call up after handing in your resume/CV.