Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone else sad that Sha of Fear died the first week? I was really kinda hoping we'd have some entertainment next Tuesday to see which guild re-clears it quick enough to push for the kill.

I don't know why things aren't tuned like they once were...

That list shows, that Old Gods and their creations are indeed the most powerful beings up to date in WoW :P

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that people always forget when discussing this kind of stuff is that back in Vanilla there weren't 50000 how-to guides and videos on YouTube showing you exactly how to down the content months before it was even released, nor was there data-mining to get all of the bosses' abilities and spells and know how to avoid them/deal with them and other kinds of raid tactics ahead of time. Also you have to remember that people didn't know as much about gear, theorycrafting, etc. which also has a lot to do with it. Comparing raiding in 2004-2006 to raiding 2007-2012 is like comparing a campfire to a lightbulb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    Hopefully this will clear up some of the ignorance plaguing these forums due to the recent world firsts.
    That's what someone said last year when this was posted.

ironic

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...or a PTR...
    Wrong on that one. Unless you mean reaaaally early game.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowwiki.com/C'Thun

"In its first inception, C'Thun was considered to be unbeatable with the current level of gear. However, following a number of hot fixes, phase two was made considerably more controllable, and the first kills were registered in a matter of hours following one such hot fix."
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Raids from the resistance era should really be in a different category. So much time was spent farming that gear outside of the boss encounter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Wrong on that one. Unless you mean reaaaally early game.
    Actually through most of vanilla and TBC at least the end bosses were often horribly overtuned and bugged, because they hadn't been tested. Top guilds at that time kind of were the testers for Blizzard.

A lot of the bosses were bugged to impossibility and were killed very shortly after being fixed.

If the Sha of Fear had a bug that caused it to be unkillable, and Blizzard took 3 weeks to fix it, and then guilds killed it a few hours later, would you consider it a "successful" boss? Because from the logic that is being employed here, you would.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    The reason is that from day one it was possible to immediately go in and begin working on Alone in the Darkness. With other bosses it was 100% impossible to start pulls testing them out until the previous boss was slain.
    You could avoid doing Hydross.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesnt matter how long it took to down them for me, TBC bosses and raids was still the most fun and epic ever. (did not play vanilla sorry)
    I just loved each and everyone of them, even the part where you had to farm!
    I liked the fun part where a warlock on Leo made a twist, Ashes of al'ar platforms, Mag's shaking rumble phase etc oh it's those little things that made the encounters fun <3
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
    www.twitch.tv/mcitra

Lots of people don't seem to be taking into account that due to staggered release of t14 instances a ton more gear was available for heroic Sha attempts ... if everything had been released at once, Sha would have taken much longer. Other bosses had similar gating to allow for gearing up but not all
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    You could avoid doing Hydross.
    Yes which is why Leotheras is dated from Gruul's death.

Hope people don't take this to have relevance to difficulty, in most cases it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MCitra View Post
    Doesnt matter how long it took to down them for me, TBC bosses and raids was still the most fun and epic ever. (did not play vanilla sorry)
    I just loved each and everyone of them, even the part where you had to farm!
    I liked the fun part where a warlock on Leo made a twist, Ashes of al'ar platforms, Mag's shaking rumble phase etc oh it's those little things that made the encounters fun <3
    Rose-colored glasses are fun to wear, but they get uncomfortable really quick so take them off!!

Sure those fights were interesting the first couple times, but then you realized they were mostly gimmicky ways of falsely expanding boss mechanics and it got old fast. Was it cool using a Warlock to tank Leotharas? Sure. Was it cool when you had to relearn a boss you've had on farm for 4 weeks because your main Warlock tank couldn't make it that week? No. Was Magtheridon's rumble phase fun the first couple times you had a successful one? Hell yeah! But then you had those idiots who just for some reason could not...click...CLICK...CLICK YOUR $*@(@&^ CUBES -- We're dead, we're all dead.

Maybe most top guilds weren't plagued by these issues, but my guild was #3 on the server at the time and we still had those people who couldn't click, or people who couldn't get out of the raid on Solarian, or run from the kite guy during Kael'thas, etc etc. So the bosses could be fun when done successfully, and every time you finally downed a boss there was that epic feel, but when you compare TBC to now, the fights are pretty much unchanged. We just have so much exposure to fights and practicing them nowadays. LFR, Normal modes, Heroic modes, PTRs, videos, strategy guides, etc.

BTW, I think you should take all bosses that didn't have two separate versions of the instance out of this list. Reason being, back in TBC / Ulduar / etc most of the bosses were tuned to be Heroic mode difficulty, but there was only one difficulty mode. Imagine going in and instead of facing Stone Guards normal you had to face Stone Guards Heroic, in dungeon blues. Also you have to consider farming resistance gear for some instances during Vanilla / TBC, trying to boost 25 people + alts through 10 levels of contents, not having valor upgrades, having to farm mats for epic patterns, etc. Content would take a whole hell of a lot longer to down nowadays if people were still subjected to A) The same amount of out-of-raid prep and B) facing Heroic difficulty bosses as the only difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    Is anyone else sad that Sha of Fear died the first week? I was really kinda hoping we'd have some entertainment next Tuesday to see which guild re-clears it quick enough to push for the kill.

I don't know why things aren't tuned like they once were...
    From what I've seen a paragon member said to a friend that there was a nerf bout 6 hours prior to their kill which decreased add spawn rate in P2 which allowed them to have about 4 times more amount of time to kill the boss. and without the nerf it was "the hardest boss ever" just because in P2 there was almost no time to dps the boss. I would be for a boss that was simply that difficult but the fights we have now are harder than any fight back in vanilla/bc but players are better so shit has to be just damn impossible - like sha was but was not to how the kill was made
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    One thing that people always forget when discussing this kind of stuff is that back in Vanilla there weren't 50000 how-to guides and videos on YouTube showing you exactly how to down the content months before it was even released, nor was there data-mining to get all of the bosses' abilities and spells and know how to avoid them/deal with them and other kinds of raid tactics ahead of time. Also you have to remember that people didn't know as much about gear, theorycrafting, etc. which also has a lot to do with it. Comparing raiding in 2004-2006 to raiding 2007-2012 is like comparing a campfire to a lightbulb.
    This is so true the game was so different back then (better in my opinion) I remember the gates if AQ opening event and everyone really had no idea what to expect. The level of excitement and anticipation sure is missing from the current meta game. It just feels like everything in the game is a foregone conclusion before it even goes live.
    More pew pew less QQ

So terrible design and not fixing broken stuff for weeks was apparently good game? Oh nostalgia you so crazy.

It's funny to me how people think encounters are tuned easier for whatever reason. The truth is, it's the addons and websites that killed raid difficulty. Want to know why vanilla bosses were hard? Pull a boss for the first time without researching tactics and log in using the default UI with no addons. I bet you wipe for a few extra weeks. Not to mention most of the vanilla bosses had maybe 3 mechanics in the entire fight, as opposed to the 20 they have now
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    It's funny to me how people think encounters are tuned easier for whatever reason. The truth is, it's the addons and websites that killed raid difficulty. Want to know why vanilla bosses were hard? Pull a boss for the first time without researching tactics and log in using the default UI with no addons. I bet you wipe for a few extra weeks. Not to mention most of the vanilla bosses had maybe 3 mechanics in the entire fight, as opposed to the 20 they have now
    Blizz has even straight up said they have to balance encounters around 3rd-party resources (websites, addons) due to their prevalence. I'll try to find a source on it.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.