Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Hypothetical EU Military

Just for a bit of fun, lets pretend a combined EU military is going to happen and you get to be in charge!

How would you run it? What rank system, weapons, uniform or equipment would you use? Mixed units or units based on region or language?

Lets just have a bit of fun here and not turn this into something political, I will be posting a few of my ideas shortly, I need to go out and buy some Gin for now. Lets hear what the armchair Generals of MMO champion have to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do I think? Gin is an awful excuse for liquor and you should be ashamed of yourself for ingesting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What do I think? Gin is an awful excuse for liquor and you should be ashamed of yourself for ingesting it.
    Don't drink the cheap crap then, theres a reason it is so popular with the Officers mess.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well obviously the head of the EU army would be called Fuhrer
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Don't drink the cheap crap then, theres a reason it is so popular with the Officers mess.
    You wound me. I don't drink cheap anything.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd call it NATO.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I'd call it NATO.
    Is a joke and not unified at all. This is your chance to show how you would run your own military, give it a go.

invade countries and take their oil. then sell it to americans, and with the money, invest in renewable technology.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Finnish defense force, German tank battalions, British navy, not sure what European country is directly known for it's airplanes, Belgian HQ, French retreaters.

Deleted
    For my Primary battle rifle I would go with the Steyer AUG

It is hardy, battle tested, accepts pretty much any attachment and can be converted to a DM rifle or Carbine in minutes. Those Austrians know their firearms.

No need for an SMG, just use AUG Carbines, saving money and no need to retrain people on another weapon.

For a sidearm I am going with the Glock 17. High capacity magazines, accurate and durable. Not being heavy is a bonus too.

10+ Year Old Account
    For my Primary battle rifle I would go with the Steyer AUG

It is hardy, battle tested, accepts pretty much any attachment and can be converted to a DM rifle or Carbine in minutes. Those Austrians know their firearms.

No need for an SMG, just use AUG Carbines, saving money and no need to retrain people on another weapon.

For a sidearm I am going with the Glock 17. High capacity magazines, accurate and durable. Not being heavy is a bonus too.
    Ah, good man. Bullpups are definitely the mode of choice for future service rifles. Though I'd have to say I'd take the Tavor over the Steyr.

Deleted
    Ah, good man. Bullpups are definitely the mode of choice for future service rifles. Though I'd have to say I'd take the Tavor over the Steyr.
    Forgot about the Tavor, it certainly looks promising. I have never used a Tavor though, I could not vote for a weapon I have never fired. All my friends that have used it praise it however.

Deleted
    We /k/ now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot about the Tavor, it certainly looks promising. I have never used a Tavor though, I could not vote for a weapon I have never fired. All my friends that have used it praise it however.
    Of course, and I'm not trying to detract from the Steyr. It's an excellent weapon, but the Tavor is just a slightly more modern weapon with more emphasis on its urban warfare applications.

Deleted
    All units would be combined under their chief arm.

All marine units combined under Marine Command, All airborne under airborne command, all line inf under one massive "INF" Umbrella. Logistical chains all outsourced to civilian companies to keep costs low. Each arm is sub-divised depending on assets available, readiness, training and speciality.

Oh, and I'd make everyone in the Army wear a pink beret and shower 5 times a day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
    We /k/ now.
    This is not 4chan, hopefully we can be a little more mature than those guys.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    All units would be combined under their chief arm.

All marine units combined under Marine Command, All airborne under airborne command, all line inf under one massive "INF" Umbrella. Logistical chains all outsourced to civilian companies to keep costs low. Each arm is sub-divised depending on assets available, readiness, training and speciality.

Oh, and I'd make everyone in the Army wear a pink beret and shower 5 times a day.
    Only if the Marines are forced to wear big Dunces caps while on parade, with a big D in the centre of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gin is awesome and makes you FEEL awesome!

OT: If I were running the show, it would have mixed units and the common language would be English. I wouldn't want to have the schisms in the military that could occur with a bunch of units that maintain their national identity. I would also try to ensure that each of the minimum unit of military didn't have more than one person from each country, so that you didn't have cliques forming within units.

I don't really have anything intelligent to say about weaponry or unit organization. Even my comments about the above isn't really drawn from military experience, but I have worked quite a lot on international work crews, and if you don't make a conscious effort towards blending and inclusion, people do start to get at each others' throats rather easily, especially when there are language differences.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-11-15 at 08:41 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Gin is awesome and makes you FEEL awesome!
    Psh. Tasteless American.

Also, Rich. Glocks as a service pistol? Bitches are too light. I would take an H&K as the service pistol.

Deleted
    Choosing a main battle tank was a tough one for me. I was so tempted to go with the Challenger 2 for its superior armour, or the Leopard 2 for its overall versatility. In the end I chose the Israeli Merkava. Its the only tank in the world that protects the crew before the tank itself, it can also be used as a field ambulance in an emergency because the back opens up like an IFV. Upgrade it with German engineering and British armour and it would be a force to be reckoned with.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 08:39 PM ----------

Psh. Tasteless American.

Also, Rich. Glocks as a service pistol? Bitches are too light. I would take an H&K as the service pistol.
    I like Glocks, I really do not see why being light is a bad thing. The less you have to carry the better in my opinion.

Deleted
    Challenger 2 for its superior armour, or the Leopard 2 for its overall versatility.
    Saw a leopard drive straight over an IED, didn't even make a dent.