Poll: Do games have a negative effect on people?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

The Video Games 'Effects Debate': Do games trigger violence?

What ho,

I'll remain neutral for this one - but I'd love to hear your views on this infamous debate.

Do video games ruin the minds of people playing them?
    Do they trigger violent, psychotic behaviour?
    Do they spread archaic, stereotypical views on women?

Discuss and vote!

There are countless studies that say no, they do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ask me, they help people release the steam they have so they don't do it in real life. I swear like hell when gaming, but never when I'm not.

Deleted
    No, video games don't make people go crazy or wacko or anything stupid like that.

If video games do that, then I'm sure watching TV or just watching people doing crazy things would make us all go crazy, so no.

Only in the minds of people who always fight against the "next big thing that youth wastes time on", be it books, radio, TV or now videogames.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There are countless studies that say no, they do not.
    There are probably studies in favour of both answers. What I'm looking for are peoples' opinions and their own theories on the topic.

Just the older generation being old and set in their ways. We've heard this so many times before, remember how Rock music was the devil?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I'll say no. Unless you're weak minded to begin with and have other issues.

I think the lack of decent games is enough to trigger violence, but no it comes down to the person entirely nothing makes you violent you either have it in you or not.

Now, can video games have negative effects? Absolutely, I'm thinking specifically about video game addiction. While it's also true that there are studies that show that they have other harmful effects, there seems to be just as many studies stating the opposite.

Studies of the human mind may have to be taken with a grain of salt here.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    No, but they can trigger violence in the mentally ill, this is not the fault of video games however. Before games there were movies and "video nasties", before that is was rock and roll, before that it was certain books "catcher in the rye". People will always find something new to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    No, but they can trigger violence in the mentally ill, this is not the fault of video games however. Before games there were movies and "video nasties", before that is was rock and roll, before that it was certain books "catcher in the rye". People will always find something new to blame.
    Precisely what RICH said.

I'm of the opinion that they actually quell violence in mentally stable people, as it provides catharsis for violent urges.

people with violent tendancies are attracted to violent games and other forms of media
    people who are attracted to violent games and other forms of media are not necessarily attracted to violence in real life

the argument that violent games encourage violence in real life is along the same lines of arguing that since a goldfish is a form of fish, then all fish are goldfish

Video games don't make people violent. Certain people that play video games make other people violent.

10+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned above in various posts, there are several studies that suggest that video games DO NOT have adverse effects on a persons mental health. Personally, I think it's actually a good thing that they are so violent, because we, as humans, can get out our violent urges and tendencies without hurting anyone, this is even more beneficial to people who legitimately are insane because they don't have to be around people, or when they are, they don't feel the need to get violent because they know they can just fall back on violent video games. << This based on absolutely no scientific research or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Is ice cream responsible for more murders in the summer?

So many people seem to not know that correlation does not equal causation.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

The question is wrong. You should not be asking if video games cause violence. You should be asking if playing video games somehow overules a person's "moral compass".

Kids will immitate things they like and you'll often see kids pretending to shoot eachother with imaginary guns but that's because it's all pretend. If you put a real gun in their hands do you still think they'd shoot? The answer is no.

Partaking in pretend violence does not a person want to engage in real violence; because their moral compass does not function for pictures on a screen, doesn't mean it doesn't function for real people.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Kids will immitate things they like and you'll often see kids pretending to shoot eachother with imaginary guns but that's because it's all pretend. If you put a real gun in their hands do you still think they'd shoot? The answer is no.
    Actually, many kids do end up shooting each other with loaded weapons. Not out of malice, however; but more because they don't understand what it really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    If you ask me, they help people release the steam they have so they don't do it in real life. I swear like hell when gaming, but never when I'm not.
    This. Video Games usually have a cathartic effect on people.

I won't say it has/will never happen, but in the vast majority of claims against video games and violence there is something else at cause. The media just likes to put a spin on Video Games being the sole factor, much like comic books in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Actually, many kids do end up shooting each other with loaded weapons. Not out of malice, however; but more because they don't understand what it really is.
    Well that's an education and a societal problem, not a video game problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.