Poll: Do games have a negative effect on people?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Actually, many kids do end up shooting each other with loaded weapons. Not out of malice, however; but more because they don't understand what it really is.
    Well yes, I should have been more clear. The point I was trying to make is that even though kids will pretend to hurt and kill eachother they are rarely willing to do it for real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lashmoo View Post
    This. Video Games usually have a cathartic effect on people.

I won't say it has/will never happen, but in the vast majority of claims against video games and violence there is something else at cause. The media just likes to put a spin on Video Games being the sole factor, much like comic books in the past.
    You mean like the Anders Bevrik or whatever the guys name was? Yeah, that was totally caused by WoW, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say, from personal experience, that games trigger adrenaline in certain situations. COmbine that with the violence of the video games and the tendency for kids to be rambunctious, I would say it is Probable that kids can become violent with violent video games. This all depends, though, on the child. If they are out of control to begin with, then that is just one more reason for them to get out of hand.

By the time we are adults, most of us have the whole "reality vs fiction" thing worked out. Even as a child, I found WoW to be therapeutic because of the violence (and I was playing the most lore-sadistic combination in the game, undead lock.) But I think we should not be trying to pin it as "Video games cause violence." It is too black and white.

I'd say about as much as Looney Toons triggered kids to blow things up with dynamite.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.. I played GTA from a very early age and I don't go around shooting people and hijacking cars like the news seem to depict.

Deleted
    It's a pretty broad question to ask in your poll. Of course video games can have a negative effect on people, in many different ways. Being specific would not hurt when this kind of subject is brought up.

Do video games ruin the minds of people playing them?
    To define this, we first need to define "ruining someone's mind" in this context as that too can be pretty ambiguous, so I'll abstain comment.

Do they trigger violent, psychotic behaviour?
    Trigger? Sure. Cause? Nope. Been proven time and again.

Do they spread archaic, stereotypical views on women?
    I'll read "they" as "a considerable share of prominent AAA titles featuring female characters", and reply that yes, they do. Not necessarily by conscious choice, but nevertheless archaic stereotypes.

Deleted
    No but they could. A game that would claim it's historically accurate but instead is biased could ruin someone's perception on an event.

About violence and whatnot. Not that much, the game would mostly work as a trigger for something that already existed, the violence and such existed in the person from start, but the game just triggered. However if not explained, some things can create problems. If you don't explain that in real life some things are different, children might actually take a gun and shoot someone because... they'll respawn. I remember a story a while back with a child who jumped from a high building with a broom thinking he was Harry Potter. Same principle.

it only triggers it to some extent if there is already a underlining problem with the person, like anger issues or something along the lines of forgetting whats real and whats fake

otherwise video games do nothing to the person if they don't have something already wrong with them

Deleted
    Not really, if someone commits violent act and blames a video game, he is wrong and not sane, violent people (if not self defence) shoul be put up into hands of psychiatrists.

10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of agreeing in this thread is...INFURIATING!

Something.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a parent to limit the amount of violent content in games that their kids have access to. I don't think that means there is a direct line of causality between fake violence and real violence though. In adults almost certainly not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Fine.

Games make people go crazy and wacko! Especially that game where you walk your dog on the street, for DS, my god that one makes me want to punch people!

10+ Year Old Account
    I see what chu did there.

+1 internet

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    Precisely what RICH said.

I'm of the opinion that they actually quell violence in mentally stable people, as it provides catharsis for violent urges.
    yup pop in some postal 2 and start killing people lmao

"its not video games that make us violent....its your shitty ISP that makes us violent" lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

Honestly, if someone were to turn violent due to violent acts in a video game, there's a pretty good chance their mentality towards violence was already messed up to begin with.

Personally, I find it to be a good release after a stressful day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Fine.

Games make people go crazy and wacko! Especially that game where you walk your dog on the street, for DS, my god that one makes me want to punch people!
    You did that on purpose.

Really though, it annoys me that the media continues to report that video games are making us insane and violent and people still believe them.

Something.

Deleted
    You did that on purpose.

Really though, it annoys me that the media continues to report that video games are making us insane and violent and people still believe them.
    I did not!

Yeah, but the problem is that a lot of people just haven't played games and think that games actually make you go crazy. It's just a lot of people that are ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I did not!

Yeah, but the problem is that a lot of people just haven't played games and think that games actually make you go crazy. It's just a lot of people that are ignorant.
    Which sucks because the reason they haven't and won't play games is because the media tells them it's terrible, so they'll just keep believing the media, it's not like we can blame them, if I was told that something was going to make me a serial killer no matter what, I'd stay the hell away from it.

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played video games since I was 6, I'm 31 now. And as far as I can remember I haven't had any violent urges to harm anyone.

My impression is that no, video games does not make you violent. But it can provoke children and impressionate/feebleminded adults to do things they normally would that could be construed as related to violence. I've seen kids let violent video games shape the type of games they play with each other, and who here hasn't seen a video of some gamer nerd trashing his computer in a fit of rage when he's playing a FPS game?

But there's a huge difference between pretending as a kid, letting out "harmless" anger as an adult, and actually going to town with a machine gun with the intent to take out as many as you can before you greet Death. If you're unbalanced you'll take influence from where you can get it. Remove video games, movies and all written work, they'll still find something else to influence them, like a predator from nature, or something someone said at some point, or their imaginary friend telling them to wreak havoc.

I voted "No, but they could", since while the video games shouldn't be attributed to the violent behavior of unstable people, it still can trigger something that sets them off. Though, anything can trigger that, but it does include video games. Replace "games" with "your image in the mirror" in the topic, and it's still possible that it can trigger violence in an unstable person, but that doesn't mean we should ban mirrors, or that they should be credited for violent behavior in psychotic people.