Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lost my mobile authenticator, might this work?

Last night I was levelling my monk and my computer froze in the middle of a EOTS game so when it rebooted, I guess the IP address got reset and I realized I didn't have my cell phone and I still don't. I sent blizzard an email explaining to them that I was on my monk, etc.. which toons I had logged onto during the day, which toons I have on my account and I never changed ip addresses. I don't have any suitable ID that I can send them so might this work? :\

Why don't you have your phone?

call them. theyve done it for me a few times
    Bane

Quote Originally Posted by ironfists View Post
    call them. theyve done it for me a few times
    I would if I had my phone lol.. No landline

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asur View Post
    Why don't you have your phone?
    Might have forgotten it at work. I work in a hospital pharmacy and might have slipped it into the wrong lab coat where they were all hanging

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get your phone. It doesn't matter where it is, it will still be faster to go and get it than it will be to wait for Blizz to answer your email.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Just get your phone. It doesn't matter where it is, it will still be faster to go and get it than it will be to wait for Blizz to answer your email.
    If I knew where it is, I would have gotten it by now..

Removal of an authenticator requires either photo ID or the authenticator's serial key + your secret question.
    You can't get it removed just by giving them other BS like your character names or IP or anything. Anyone can get that information.

They need solid proof it's the owner of the account making the request.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Well then... you'll probably have to:

A) Find your lost phone (or hope someone found it for you and is nice enough to report it)
    B) Get a new phone and call up blizz with your original boxset serials, account info and potentially mailing them a copy of your id to confirm your identity.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 12:03 PM ----------

On another note, try calling your old phone, maybe someone will pickup and hopefully be able to return it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Roia View Post
    Well then... you'll probably have to:

A) Find your lost phone (or hope someone found it for you and is nice enough to report it)
    B) Get a new phone and call up blizz with your original boxset serials, account info and potentially mailing them a copy of your id to confirm your identity.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 12:03 PM ----------

On another note, try calling your old phone, maybe someone will pickup and hopefully be able to return it to you?
    What if I bought the game online?

This is why my keyfob hasn't left this little spot under my monitor for almost 3 years now, while in that time I've gone through at least 3 or 4 phones.

B) Get a new phone and call up blizz with your original boxset serials, account info and potentially mailing them a copy of your id to confirm your identity
    Box serials are keyloggable and sharable with no real consequences. ID is asked as you generally don't want to give other people proof of your identity.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Quote Originally Posted by dalliah1 View Post
    Then you have a serial key in your email. Which is not solid enough to get your authenticator removed.

Deleted
    The strangest thing is..

How can you not have a valid ID, driver's license or passport?

Or is it not your account originally? Ie, given from a friend who quit etc.

In that case, you're pretty much out of luck unless he/she can help you with that.
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2012-11-25 at 05:13 PM.

This is one reason why I went with physical authenticator rather than mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Duke View Post
    Box serials are keyloggable and sharable with no real consequences. ID is asked as you generally don't want to give other people proof of your identity.
    Probably depends on the account, but if they asked me for my vanilla serial, the only time I typed that in on a computer was over 8 years ago, and noone could possibly know that information unless they had physical access to my house. I could also verify every expansion after that, so good luck keylogging me every 2 years for the past 8 :/ On the other hand if you've been only playing wow for less than a year or bought it online, pretty sure its not even something the rep would even ask for. They usually ask for at least 2 different ways of verifying who you are, a box serial is just one of those methods, and with my account, it was plenty enough to go on when I needed them to remove my bugged authenticator.

As people have said, if you can't get your phone to either just use the auth or get the serial, then you need to get some form of govt ID (passport, driver's license, birth cert, national ID card in some countries) and send it to them by pressing the 'Cant log in?' button on the site on the login page.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 05:20 PM ----------

Probably depends on the account, but if they asked me for my vanilla serial, the only time I typed that in on a computer was over 8 years ago, and noone could possibly know that information unless they had physical access to my house. I could also verify every expansion after that, so good luck keylogging me every 2 years for the past 8 :/ On the other hand if you've been only playing wow for less than a year or bought it online, pretty sure its not even something the rep would even ask for. They usually ask for at least 2 different ways of verifying who you are, a box serial is just one of those methods, and with my account, it was plenty enough to go on when I needed them to remove my bugged authenticator.
    CD keys are sharable, keyloggable, and generally lose-able. They are not any evidence that you are the owner of the account, only that you are a person who knows the CD key.

To give a practical example - I sell you my account. I give you the CD key. Only accepting hard forms of identification for high-risk changes to an account prevents people like an account buyer making changes.
    Another example - I am your little brother and want to prank you but you have an authenticator. I can't just get your CD box and remove your authenticator.

Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    This is one reason why I went with physical authenticator rather than mobile.
    Those fail too, or get out of sync after awhile. This is one reason why I went with the mobile version, its also convenient for when I need to login at work or something

Don't you get an email with the key when you buy online?

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    The strangest thing is..

How can you not have a valid ID, driver's license or passport?

Or is it not your account originally? Ie, given from a friend who quit etc.

In that case, you're pretty much out of luck unless he/she can help you with that.

It's my account but i'm an idiot that decided to put US as a country rather than Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Duke View Post
    As people have said, if you can't get your phone to either just use the auth or get the serial, then you need to get some form of govt ID (passport, driver's license, birth cert, national ID card in some countries) and send it to them by pressing the 'Cant log in?' button on the site on the login page.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 05:20 PM ----------

CD keys are sharable, keyloggable, and generally lose-able. They are not any evidence that you are the owner of the account, only that you are a person who knows the CD key.

To give a practical example - I sell you my account. I give you the CD key. Only accepting hard forms of identification for high-risk changes to an account prevents people like an account buyer making changes.
    Another example - I am your little brother and want to prank you but you have an authenticator. I can't just get your CD box and remove your authenticator.
    CD keys are NOT shareable, they are a one-time use type thing, on a resold account though, that is a whole different can of worms. Keyloggable? really? That is extremely unlikely on older accounts, like the situation I described above. And yes, they would be evidence you are most likely the owner or at least someone who knows the owner. Like I had said above though, it won't be the ONLY thing they ask you, but its one thing that will help your case where you won't have to snail mail your driver's license.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 12:37 PM ----------

It's my account but i'm an idiot that decided to put US as a country rather than Canada
    Well... people do move from country to country. As long as the name on the account matches your ID (which I'm assuming you do have), blizzard should be able to correct the address for you in the process. But it sounds like your only option to get the account back if you lost your phone, will be to mail them a copy of your id.