Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    yes , i can care about world firsts.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's always fun to watch the top guilds struggle for world-firsts and it's way too fun to see how stupid raid comps get for them to get world firsts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Meh, it used to be exciting about 5 years ago, before all the guilds got to test all the mechanics on the PTR.
    This, so much. If none of the guilds had any clue what the fights would look like, what kind of mechanics would be involved, etc... If they just got thrown in there, "Here's the raid, GO!"... That would be exciting.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

It's fun to see who gets them. I root for the US guilds to pull through, especially Vodka, because I watch one of them stream and he's pretty cool.
    But I don't really care. I would never argue over the guilds themselves. Only that 10 man doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat, but not as much as before. Before it was more exciting, taking several weeks to down certain bosses. Now pretty much every encounter is defeated within a week or so, by multiple guilds at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrate View Post
    It's fun to see who gets them. I root for the US guilds to pull through, especially Vodka, because I watch one of them stream and he's pretty cool.
    But I don't really care. I would never argue over the guilds themselves. Only that 10 man doesn't matter.
    Irony in this post is mindblowing

You have a strange impression of other people's outlook on the world first race. Nobody actually idolizes any of the players, and if you're jealous about the attention that other guilds are getting, just wait a week and you won't hear anything more about them.

Also, how on earth does putting in more effort than everyone else diminish an achievement?

How these top guilds work is they clear all content get the gear they need, and most guilds slow down alot or stop playing all in general til the next raid comes out and they probably do some alt raids to gear to help with the next tier as much as possible. Honestly, i could careless who gets world first. Its cleared in the first week now, its not interesting to keep track of anymore. I remember waiting for someone to get H LK, that was exciting to wait for. Now its just who can raid more and put more attempts on the final boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjosel View Post
    Maybe only on their mains, sure (although I still would bet comfortably that they do). However, in a top end guild, every player has a score of alts, so that any crazy strategy thought up in the progression race can be attempted at any time. Not to mention all the time grinding professions on each toon so that every alt is as best represented as it can be. Farming for mats/money is something totally not uncommon, so every new tier players can gear up their toons on the AH immediately if need be. If one profession all the sudden outdoes another one after the patch, then it is time to regrind again. Etc.

As I said, I would bet most of them spend an inordinate amount of time playing WoW. If I recall, back during ICC with the limited attempts gating, Paragon used to run multiple 25 man alt raids to waste attempts to better understand the fights for their mains. Being in that competitive of a guild is not just some hobby.

Most of them probably still have jobs. They probably don't do much with their lives outside of those jobs though.
    I agree with all of that. I was more just trying to point out that after they clear a tier of content they raid less than a serious guild of lower skill level. People seem to forget about that when they talk about how they are probably spending 12+ hours a day raiding in the first week of a patch. This patch may be the exception to the rule simply because 16 bosses is brutal to clear, but back in FL/DS a farm clear was quite fast.

I too would expect that they would spend a great deal of time overall on WoW - I just get annoyed when people use the "they don't have jobs" argument as a retort for how they do it. They do it because they are skilled and sink in a lot of time, not because they got a free pass.

Nope. I hate competitions cause they change people. Also, getting world first only proves that I suffer from a lack of sleep and lack of social life. I would rather get a full night's rest after some outstanding "quality time' with my wife. Wake up in the morning, and then play some game rated T for Teen. Getting world's first is like a 4th grade spelling Bee prize. No one really cares except you and odds are it isn't gonna get you any action from the opposite sex.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had much interest in them.

Deleted
    Don't care, not even a little bit to be honest.

Yes, when it's on the front page here, I will have a quick skim through, but it doesn't effect me at all, so that's all it is