Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Were Worgen originally going to be a new Horde race?

I read this somewhere (and goblins going to Alliance) but i can't think where, does anyone know if it's true?

and if so, do you think they made the right choice putting worgen on the Alliance?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think so.

Worgen were chosen for the Alliance because they felt they needed a more "monster like" race
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With that being said worgen were already connected via Gilneas and the night elf ties with them.

Deleted
    Yes.
    At the beginning of Cata alpha (and beta), if you died in an "unknown zone" (a zone where the server doesn't "know" where you are, you are out of bonds, like in the Deadmines' secret Outland testing zone), you would be ported in the Crossroads' graveyard, which is the Horde "default" graveyard, while the Alliance has Westfall

Which means that for the server, you were a Horde character. This lasted at least 3 or 4 months (remember, Cata alpha began at the beginning of May 2010 ^^)

Deleted
    Goblins for alliance ?! That would have made as much sense as Alliance getting ogres.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't believe so, since the current worgen was humans, and the original worgens was once Night Elves. And well, Goblin has mostly been in the waved area, since most just works for highest price. And well, the ones we have got saved and thought they needed to repay by joining. (If I remember right)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Goblins were originally going to be a "Dual-Faction" race like the Pandaren were during Cataclysm development, then they were given exclusively to the Horde and the Alliance got Worgen instead. The rushed job of the Worgen being added late to the party really does show in how they basically vanish after Gilneas and are never heard from again.

Gilneas was one of the human kingdoms that was opposed to the internment camps and wanted the (Old) Horde executed outright. So no, it wouldn't make much sense for them to join up, especially right after decades of being isolated. Then again you could say the same with Blood Elves and look how that turned out.

Goblins were orignally going to be an Alliance race in vanilla, but they were replaced by gnomes. pandaren were originally going to be an Alliance race in TBC, but they were replaced by draenei.

Worgens in the hord...

Goblins in the alliance? no
    Ogres in the alliance? no
    Nagas in the alliance? no
    (Insert x race here) in the alliance? no

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Goblins were originally going to be a "Dual-Faction" race like the Pandaren were during Cataclysm development, then they were given exclusively to the Horde and the Alliance got Worgen instead. The rushed job of the Worgen being added late to the party really does show in how they basically vanish after Gilneas and are never heard from again.

Gilneas was one of the human kingdoms that was opposed to the internment camps and wanted the (Old) Horde executed outright. So no, it wouldn't make much sense for them to join up, especially right after decades of being isolated. Then again you could say the same with Blood Elves and look how that turned out.
    Not to mention filled with visual glitches the worgen models are. Eeeww. I wanted to play a worgen and race changed to one in the 1st day of Cata, the started to notice things like arms going through shoulders, hair going through helms, making some weird hairy helms, etc etc, rushed crap.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    You might have read it in a forum, people tend so say things that are (mostly) made up, even lore wise i dont think worgen would join a horde that has the forsaken, and i dont see any ties for the goblins to the alliance (maybe money?) but thats just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Though, wouldn't mind Worgen Paladins *nods*
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosege View Post
    I read this somewhere (and goblins going to Alliance) but i can't think where, does anyone know if it's true?

and if so, do you think they made the right choice putting worgen on the Alliance?
    As i understood it. It was the plan to make Goblins the first neutral race, like Pandarens are now. But the their lore didn;t fit well inside the Cataclysm storyline. So they decided the add Worgen as a race too. Then they figured out that Alliance needed the Worgen because they are monstrous (alliance didn't have such a race yet). So Goblins remained for Horde.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baneador View Post
    Worgens in the hord...

Goblins in the alliance? no
    Ogres in the alliance? no
    Nagas in the alliance? no
    (Insert x race here) in the alliance? no
    You're right, Blizzard would never give a race that is bonded with a faction to the other. I mean look at blood elves, a race that belonged to the Alliance, went to the Alliance and... wait...

And Naga fit in the alliance better then the Horde.
    Worgens were made for the Alliance.

If blizzards intention with putting worgen in the Alliance was to give a "monstrous and ferocious" race to the Alliance they failed miserably with them in terms of lore. But they've failed miserably with other Alliance races living up to what they were introduced as so no surprise.

Deleted
    The Night Elf connection was somewhat established back in original WoW's Duskwood quests, but the Worgen seemed even wilder and eviller then - not some backfired nature curse more the vibe of something very sinister and wrong. That would certainly fit the theme of other cursed Horde races - Forsaken, Orcs, Blood Elves. I heard originally Pandaren were originally planned to be introduced around BC, so who knows how things could have turned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say I've ever heard anything official during the Beta/Alpha about such a thing. I hear players mention it because they're bestial, but that's about it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Goblins for alliance ?! That would have made as much sense as Alliance getting ogres.
    Not really. They've always for the most part been neutral. You can scoff at the idea of them being Alliance because of the aid they gave the Horde during the Second War, but that same logic can be applied to the High/Blood Elves, and look which faction they're a part of.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-11-24 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Or the Horde getting Elves? (Before they came up wit all the daft lore for it anyway)

Worgen and Gilneas have always been very tied to Alliance. That said Panderen WERE going to be an Ali race in BC, but Bliz decided on Space Goats instead because they felt they had a richer history and could be used a lot more in lore...
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Or the Horde getting Elves? (Before they came up wit all the daft lore for it anyway)
    I never understood why the Alliance sabotaged Que'thelas, it came across as far too brash and without reason. It always came a across as a poor excuse to vilify the Alliance and push them into the Horde.

Worgen and Gilneas have always been very tied to Alliance. That said Panderen WERE going to be an Ali race in BC, but Bliz decided on Space Goats instead because they felt they had a richer history and could be used a lot more in lore...
    ....to progress and redeem the Blood Elves rather than Alliance .

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    , but Bliz decided on Space Goats instead because they felt they had a richer history and could be used a lot more in lore...
    Well Space Goats have a better vibe with the theme of Burning Crusade, with it having a lot of cosmic weird ass space stuff going on
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"