Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Blizzard retconed a lot of stuff with bc, the entire Draenei race for example, it wasn't that bad though.

Brown is the original, green slightly tainted and red is tainted to the point they could be considered a different species.
    You have a very similar situation with the elves with felblood elves being fully corrupted.
    But when the orcs in the WC3 campaign drank the blood they immediately turned red. In Rise of the Horde they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Why are fel orcs red then? Never really understood that. WC3 kind of establishes that green is the original color, and red is the demon-corrupted version of them. Then TBC comes along and says nope, brown.
    Brown = Uncorrupted.
    Green = Slowly Corrupted by Fel Magic that saturated them during the rise of the Horde.
    Red = Drinking heavily from Pit Lord blood causing a temporary change, or infusing said blood directly into themselves using machines for a permanent change.

But when the orcs in the WC3 campaign drank the blood they immediately turned red. In Rise of the Horde they didn't.
    In Rise of the Horde, Gul'dan only let them drink a little bit from a goblet, enough to seal the deal but not enough to go all chaos orc. Mannoroth later corrupted an entire spring with his blood while Grom was in Ashenvale, and so Grom and his men drank heavily from the blood, as he had no restrictions.
    Last edited by Grocalis; 2012-11-26 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Q: Why do blood elves still have green eyes?
    A: Corruption from fel energies takes a long time to wear off. It's why most orcs are still green even though Mannoroth is dead.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372142
    Then blood elves will loose their green eyes when the orcs are brown again. I think the "long" here will be really long, and won't probably happen in WoW's timeline.

Q: How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be “horrified” if they knew the true extent of Kael’s dealings with Illidan.
    A: The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel’Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs’ skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489940501
    After reading that I got that after powering the rebuilding Quel'thalas with fel-distilled energy it got everywhere, It's like they painted it all with lead based paint and now all of them have lead poisoning.
    Last edited by TheDangerZone; 2012-11-26 at 05:52 PM.

They were already tainted they had drunk the blood before, so it was already their second great dosis, which transformed them further.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Then blood elves will loose their green eyes when the orcs are brown again. I think the "long" here will be really long.
    A few generation maybe,the light imbued sunwell might increase the pace, who knows.

After reading that I got that after powering the rebuilding Quel'thalas with fel-distilled energy it got everywhere, It's like they painted it all with lead based paint and now all of them have lead poisoning.
    Good thing is since the Sunwell has been restored they don't use it anymore.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2012-11-26 at 05:56 PM.

It's a pretty worthwhile commentary to read that story and look what became of those same elves in Eastern Plaguelands -- Wretched, every one of them. Has there even been some sort of handwave to explain why the elves in Stormwind and Dalaran never succumbed without the Sunwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    It's a pretty worthwhile commentary to read that story and look what became of those same elves in Eastern Plaguelands -- Wretched, every one of them. Has there even been some sort of handwave to explain why the elves in Stormwind and Dalaran never succumbed without the Sunwell?
    High elves meditate and feed their addictions through artifacts, magical addiction may not be lethal but it is damaging. Those particular High elves just took an artifact they couldn't handle.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10028

According to the top priests and medics on Azeroth, the only high elves who perished due to the Sunwell's loss were the very old, the very young, and elves who were already in poor health.

This is not to say, however, that withdrawal from magic would leave the elves unharmed. On the contrary, permanent mental or physical damage is possible.

I gotta admit, I don't get the "mana from living things" argument. I get the fel energy one, but what is ultimately the moral difference between nommin' the mana out of a mana worm vs. cooking up dragonhawk stirfry or making a fetching vest out of a prowler? All are dying so that their resources can nourish a dominant species. That it satisfies an addiction? Get a load of the Knights of the Ebon Blade, who have a far more severe addiction to something far less benign.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blood Elves will never ditch the Horde completely. However, recent events suggest the possibility of BElves becoming a neutral race where players choose their allegiance. These events include the return of High Elves to Quel'thalas, the decision to turn against Dalaran, the general direction Garrosh has taken the Horde, and a shared interest in archaeology with the Dwarves.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I gotta admit, I don't get the "mana from living things" argument. I get the fel energy one, but what is ultimately the moral difference between nommin' the mana out of a mana worm vs. cooking up dragonhawk stirfry or making a fetching vest out of a prowler? All are dying so that their resources can nourish a dominant species. That it satisfies an addiction? Get a load of the Knights of the Ebon Blade, who have a far more severe addiction to something far less benign.
    It was a line the high elves were unwilling to cross, the vast majority of the blood elven population never drained actively on fel power, but from manawyrms and the like.It seems the Quel'dorei were unwilling to kill in order sate their thirst. One can argus the high elves are the most stubborn elves, to survive the fall of Quel'thalas since they were absolutely unwilling to change their society, not even for their own survival.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Quel'lithien were doing okay until that moment of weakness, sad for them, but isn't that what addiction is all about? just a little taste, it wouldn't hurt... They were really isolated up there, it was rather tragic.

I think is the perceived superfluous quality of it. You can't live without eating, but you can learn to live a non-magical life. I don't really believe in it, but I do get that "you are destroying life only for power" could be an argument.

The Quel'lithien were doing okay until that moment of weakness, sad for them, but isn't that what addiction is all about? just a little taste, it wouldn't hurt... They were really isolated up there, it was rather tragic.
    There is only one problem with high elves in general nowadays, they have the sunwell back as well, but keep sitting on their moral horse.

If I have ever rationalized my choices using any other logic, I was certainly lying to myself. Hawkspear was right: I deal with the devil indeed, but the Sunwell may never have been restored had we not sunk to those levels. He and Aurora can sleep soundly, knowing they have never compromised their ethics, but if they deny that they prosper in the wake of those who have, then they delude themselves as much as I.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Lor'themar_Theron

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to forget at the time of Elf hating Garry, the human nations were still split. Garry was a part of Lordaeron, wich is far from the same as Stormwind, Kul'tiras, Dalaran, Stormwind or any of the other nations.

The lore was made to fit a MMO, face it, they were forced to write out of character, meaningless wierd and funky crap to make both faction have the same amount of races.
    If WoW was never made you'd probably have split factions all over the place, local wars for Lorderaon, Nelfs fighting Orcs in Ashenvale, not assisted by the other alliance races and whatnot..

In the end everything is written to suit a mmo, wich will always hurt the lore and make it shittier than could be. I'm still confused why the alliance had spies and infiltrators sent to Belf land in the first place. Unless I'm missing something the human faction in the alliance is mostly, if not only members of Stormwind and refugees from the third war. Wich had nothing against belfs..at the very least the night elves had no reason to care about whatever the belfs were upto, they've been separted for over 10,000 years..

I wish they'd just rewrite the whole pie, but that's never going to happen. Each expansion forced a new reason for races to join the faction they did, and for some reason you're bound by race, not by cause. Because there is no cause, it's just old hatred between humans and orcs..wich in the end is the Burning legion, but lawl lets kill eachother off cause race! Even the pandas joining the faction they do is hillarious shallow..

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one problem with high elves in general nowadays, they have the sunwell back as well, but keep sitting on their moral horse.

If I have ever rationalized my choices using any other logic, I was certainly lying to myself. Hawkspear was right: I deal with the devil indeed, but the Sunwell may never have been restored had we not sunk to those levels. He and Aurora can sleep soundly, knowing they have never compromised their ethics, but if they deny that they prosper in the wake of those who have, then they delude themselves as much as I.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Lor'themar_Theron
    That's one of the reasons why I love "In the Shadow of the sun" so much, it has great insight in the conflicts between the high elves and blood elves and manages to present their stances without defaulting to good or evil. Lor'themar greatly expresses the ultimate difference, the lengths of compromise they are willing to take in order to subsist. Even if I believe that the steps that the blood elves took in order to ensure their survival was a necessity, I can't blame the high elves for sticking to their ethics in a world where nothing else made sense.

At the end of the day, that's why I'm so passionate about the dichotomy between blood and high elves, their lore and conflict is just so complex and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    Glad someone pointed this out, I was about to come in and mention it. Garithos was the reason the Blood Elves became free-agents and were weary of the Alliance, but was not the reason they joined the Horde. That you can blame on the Alliance for attempting to sabotage and invade Blood Elf land during the starting quests.
    Considering the entire theme of BC, it was kind of fair to not trust the Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    Yeah since they went down with Kael'thas and did not rebel against him the moment they realized he was dealing with the burning legion.

Yeah since they went down with Kael'thas and did not rebel against him the moment they realized he was dealing with the burning legion.
    They kidnapped an Alien and sucked it dry without Kael Thas, so I wouldn't say they're innocent to say the least.
    I just don't care for the Blood Elves in general.

They felt abandoned by the Alliance when they didn't save them from the scourge, when before they hid from war when they felt it didn't concern them. They could have done some things with the purified Sunwell deal, but every time I see them in the game it just seems like same old same old.

They kidnapped an Alien and sucked it dry without Kael Thas, so I wouldn't say they're innocent to say the least.

They felt abandoned by the Alliance when they didn't save them from the scourge, when before they hid from war when they felt it didn't concern them. They could have done some things with the purified Sunwell deal, but every time I see them in the game it just seems like same old same old.
    You are rather quick to assume aren't you? Who said they were entirely innocent?

There are always two sides to the story, both parties are ultimately to blame for the escalation. The blood elven culture already changed a great deal after the Sunwell was restored, they don't use fel magic anymore for example. The hard facts are the elves owe nothing to the Alliance and vice versa, but both parties are to stubborn to budge from their position.

10+ Year Old Account

Then why waste time speaking of the nuanced themes, political relationships and conflicting ethics of a race you don't care about?

And considering what happened to the elves, it was fair for the Blood Elves to not really want to side with the Alliance.

You are rather quick to assume aren't you? Who said they were entirely innocent?
    I stated there was good reason to not trust them, and you retorted to that with Kael Thas. Hence, Muru.

There are always two sides to the story, both parties are ultimately to blame for the escalation. The blood elven culture already changed a great deal after the Sunwell was restored, they don't use fel magic anymore for example. The hard facts are the elves owe nothing to the Alliance and vice versa, but both parties are to stubborn to budge from their position.
    They don't use Fel Magic, but the mentality they used to snort it is still there. Hence why I still find them boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    And considering what happened to the elves, it was fair for the Blood Elves to not really want to side with the Alliance.
    If you're refering to the Sunwell being super charged, that was less to do with their brilliant Domestic Policy, and more of being lucky enough to get a being of pure light thrown in it.

Then why waste time speaking of the nuanced themes, political relationships and conflicting ethics of a race you don't care about?
    Because I found them more interesting once upon a time, but I still see the old habits they were supposed to grow out of.
    I suppose you'd be happier if I went with bland?
    Last edited by Stuffs; 2012-11-26 at 08:05 PM.