Cooling down graphic card.

What are some ways I can keep the temps down of my graphic card? I know it is not a dust problem, i've cleaned it out so it's not a dust problem. I am useing a GTX 550 Ti. I have never had a temp problem til recently, when i have settings on good or higher the temp goes up. I'm looking for some safe ways to keep the temp down.

Deleted
    Open a window, provide the card better airflow through cable management, better case fan placement or new fans and as a last resort replacing the thermal paste or HSF on the card should also work. Also when cleaning the dust did you remove the shroud on the card? Dust tends to hide under that.

Of course this only needs to be done if the GPU temps are a problem. If you're pushing the card harder (by using higher settings) then naturally it will get hotter, but they're not as delicate as you may think. What kind of problems are you experiencing other than the temperatures, and what are those temperatures you're worried about?
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2012-11-26 at 04:43 PM.

What kind of temps are we talking about? The 550Ti temp ceiling is more than 90C, as long as the card stays below this, it is fine.

Well when the temps reach about 77 or so celcius the graphics card will start to do a low sounidng hum. I have the side panel open on the tower so there is plenty of air flow. I'm interested in what you said about adding fans, how does that work exactly? I'm not very smart when it comes to computers so I have no idea what the shroud is on the card or the thermal paste. It's just I have never had a problem with temps on good settings or high settings even ultra until about last week, and i'm playing world of warcraft so I don't see why my graphics card temps are going up so much.

77C is more than fine for that GPU, the hum is the fans starting to spin faster... The higher the temp gets, the faster the fans will spin, but 77C is normal and therefore nothing to worry about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum bucket View Post
    Well when the temps reach about 77 or so celcius the graphics card will start to do a low sounidng hum. I have the side panel open on the tower so there is plenty of air flow. I'm interested in what you said about adding fans, how does that work exactly? I'm not very smart when it comes to computers so I have no idea what the shroud is on the card or the thermal paste. It's just I have never had a problem with temps on good settings or high settings even ultra until about last week, and i'm playing world of warcraft so I don't see why my graphics card temps are going up so much.
    As noteworthynerd said 77 Celcius is fine, though leaving the side panel open isn't always beneficial. By adding fans I meant to the case, and it would depend on whether you have the space inside for them, since I know nothing about your current setup I can't really advise anything. The shroud is the piece of plastic covering the metal heatsink on your graphics card, they can usually be taken off. Thermal paste is a viscous liquid that goes between some kind of processor and its heatsink in order to better facilitate heat transfer, too much or too little can both be bad for heat transfer, but you needn't worry about this for now.

This article might be useful for you too: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...nvestigation/1
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2012-11-27 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum bucket View Post
    What are some ways I can keep the temps down of my graphic card? I know it is not a dust problem, i've cleaned it out so it's not a dust problem. I am useing a GTX 550 Ti. I have never had a temp problem til recently, when i have settings on good or higher the temp goes up. I'm looking for some safe ways to keep the temp down.
    Just make sure that your case has sufficient airflow. One in the front and one in the back is usually good enough. But having a side fan that blows right on the gfx card helps too. Large fans are nice since they move a lot of air with creating a lot of noise. There are some good deals right now on cases at Newegg if you feel like your case is lacking on airflow.