Blade Lord Ta'Yak 10N advice needed

Hey All,

I'm a raid leader in a casual 10m guild and we've been slowly progressing through T14 but recently have hit a wall on Blade Lord Ta'Yak. We attempted him last night and our first attempt went okay, we got to phase 2 and didn't wait to be healed up and too many people died on the run to him. Okay, no prob, we'll hang back abit or pop healing CDs to heal up before running through the tornado gauntlet. Unfortunately after that first attempt we didn't get back to phase 2 all night.

I think we all understand the mechanics and know what to do. There were definitely some unlucky things where everyone would be stacked up but only 3 people would get hit for some reason, we also had some attempts where multiple people got a tornado on them just as we needed to stack up. While those things are frustrating I think our biggest challenge is that our tanks take a TON of damage. We've never had a tank damage/healng issue so severe before. The tanks are taunting at 2 stacks but sometimes the MT(a Prot Paladin) gets one shot by the damage. Healers have zero time to react, the tank goes from 95% to dead from Overwhelming Assault. I know our tank's gear isn't amazing, he's been kinda unlucky compared to some of us, but we've never had such insane damage on him before, it almost seems like we're doing something wrong.

We've tried both 2 and 3 healing, hoping the phase wouldn't last as long with 2 healers, but most of the time it didn't matter due to tank death.

Here's a log from last night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=63664

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Every 60 seconds, Ta'yak gains a stack of Intensify, which increases his damage done and haste by 5% per stack. This is a soft enrage mechanic and if your dps is too slow he will start one shotting the tanks on the second Overwhelming Assault. Around 20% extra damage and haste you will want to have tank using CDs for the overwhelming assault. External CD's (Pain suppression, barrier, sacrifice etc and even PW:shield can make a difference on those big hits).

Hope this helps!

As far as OA goes, have your tanks pop their CD a couple seconds prior to the 2nd stack of OA going out and if they feel so inclined have them call out for an external although i don't think its super necessary as long as they're managing their internals properly. It's not so much the OA that's killing the tank it's the melee swings.

Tornados have a tendency to line up right as unseen strike is going out so your raid just needs to be aware of that and not move in too quickly. Also I'm guessing the reason some people aren't getting hit when you're stacked is that the person with unseen strike is not facing the right direction. The knockback will come out in accordance to where the person is standing so ideally everyone should be facing the same direction to get knocked back in the same way which will ultimately help you control tornado spawning.

In all fairness it looks like you guys got into p2 a couple of times so yea its probably mismanagement of CDs o n your tanks part but the positioning of the raid when unseenn strike comes out will help clean up p1 for you.

GL and may all your drops be EPIC!
    Last edited by Armwack; 2012-11-26 at 05:11 PM.

Another thing to note is your dps wich i think is a bit low. Your raid dps seems to be around 265k. My guild is pretty casual aswell, and we just managed to kill this boss last night. Our raid dps was just over 300k, and we killed it within 8:03 (according to WOL) and the enrage is 8:00

One thing that gave us a boost that we popped lust at the start with everyone prepotting and just tanked him where he was standing, this boosted our dps a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hviske10ske View Post

One thing that gave us a boost that we popped lust at the start with everyone prepotting and just tanked him where he was standing, this boosted our dps a great deal.
    This a million times. I know it's tempting to lust in p2 but the quicker you phase him the more time you'll have to compensate for mistakes in p2, plus at the start is when most likely everyone will be alive. My guild tried lusting in p2 to compensate for the dead derp and the numbers just weren't lining up.

You have to hero off the pull pre-potted if you are casual, help yourselves. 300 food is huge as well. Every bit counts.

As for your tanks, the first tank pulls, then when he hits one stack you swap. Then you swap at 2 pulls every time after. Your tanks have to be quick and in position to taunt asap. Also tanks have cds, tell them to use them. Tank dmg is intense at two stacks, tanks need to be tanks and use cds, not melee dps with dodge and parry gear.

We do 2 heal it or the intensity stacks get too high at the end.

Finally when someone gets the unseen strike on them tell them to stop dancing the heck around. Stand still, we come to you and stack on you, if they screw around you won't know which way the boss will be facing and people won't be in position to soak. Also don't be 40 yards away and in a tornado please.

Quote Originally Posted by Armwack View Post
    As far as OA goes, have your tanks pop their CD a couple seconds prior to the 2nd stack of OA going out and if they feel so inclined have them call out for an external although i don't think its super necessary as long as they're managing their internals properly. It's not so much the OA that's killing the tank it's the melee swings.
    Yeah, I noticed sometimes it would overkill on OA and sometimes it would be something else within the same second on top of the OA. Either way it was causing our healers to just be dumbfounded on why they weren't able to keep the tank up. I'll definitely suggest(and be looking out for) the tank to pop more personal cooldowns more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Armwack View Post
    Tornados have a tendency to line up right as unseen strike is going out so your raid just needs to be aware of that and not move in too quickly. Also I'm guessing the reason some people aren't getting hit when you're stacked is that the person with unseen strike is not facing the right direction. The knockback will come out in accordance to where the person is standing so ideally everyone should be facing the same direction to get knocked back in the same way which will ultimately help you control tornado spawning.
    Ah, I did not know facing the same direction is what determined the knockback. I was thinking it was based on people not standing exactly dead center on the person. We'll make sure to face the same way and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hviske10ske View Post
    Another thing to note is your dps wich i think is a bit low. Your raid dps seems to be around 265k. My guild is pretty casual aswell, and we just managed to kill this boss last night. Our raid dps was just over 300k, and we killed it within 8:03 (according to WOL) and the enrage is 8:00

Yeah, there are some people alittle lower than I'd like. I was surprised how much of a DPS check this fight is, I thought after getting Gara'jal so far ahead of the Enrage timer we were doing okay, but I definitely see room for improvement. One question about your raid DPS, were you 2 or 3 healing? I think in the logs listed we only 2 healed once or twice. If the tanks can manage surviving abit better personally I don't see any reason to not 2 heal it.

We're also popping CDs early, but not right at the pull, we were doing it just after the first Unseen Strike, but we will try right at the pull, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffon23 View Post

Yeah, I noticed sometimes it would overkill on OA and sometimes it would be something else within the same second on top of the OA. Either way it was causing our healers to just be dumbfounded on why they weren't able to keep the tank up. I'll definitely suggest(and be looking out for) the tank to pop more personal cooldowns more often.
    The important thing is make sure they time it a couple seconds prior to the 2nd stack of OA going out.

Your dps is really low. Your tanks aren't using CD's properly. As some others have said, use defensives before the second application hits. For the Unseen strike, your raid should be looking for the boss to appear slightly before it hits and be stacking in front. He looks almost like a camoflagued hunter.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7895&e=8271 our kill. About 120k more raid wide dps, but we killed it with almost two minutes to spare. You should be aiming for around 320k raid wide.

Also, a little trick that we use during the tornado alley phase: the boss changes side at the 10.5% mark. Your raid should make use of the airflow current on the outside edge of the alley to run quickly to the other side around 11.5%. Keep a tank and a dps on the boss to push the final 1%. Your raid will be waiting ready to finish off the last 10% without having to run through the tornado alley again.

Your healers need to watch the Overwhelming Assault timers too. Tanks have to be topped off before the next OA if they have 2 stacks of the debuff.

Your tanks need to be better at using CDs. Your Paladin should rotate Guardian of Ancient Kings and Ardent Defender for each OA at 2 stacks. They can even use Lay on Hands to top themselves off before OA. Your bear tank should be topped off and have Barkskin up for each OA at 2 stacks

My question is in regards to stacking for Unseen Strikes.

Is the targeted player suppose to be facing the direction of where the boss vanished when he cast US? Is the raid suppose to be directly on top of the targeted raid member or slightly behind him? We had several occurrences where it looked like we stacked correctly and then the boss's attack hit from the opposite side. Other times, he seemed to come at an angle to the raid instead of head on.
    Last edited by Kioga; 2012-11-29 at 03:52 PM.