A Few Questions RE: Spriests (PVE)

Hi there,

Relatively new to the caster raiding scene (Warrior from vanilla - cata) and had a few questions i cant seem to find answeres from guides or help.

- Sometimes in my rotation my MB is about .5-1 second off cooldown and my GCD has just come back up. I am currently using the filler to time to get 2 ticks of MF in before recasting MB again, is this correct? Should i just not cast MF at all and prioritize the MB? I know that our priority system MF is on the bottom and just a filler but isnt it better to be casting something all the time rather than just waiting for a cooldown?

- Do i need to recast VT and SWP when ToF procs? What about with on-use intellect trinkets?

- Does our 4pc make Shadow Word: Insanity any good? or is it still terrible?

- If VT and SWP are about to expire and MB has just come off cooldown, which one do we prioritize?

Thanks in advance.

I do not know the theorycrafted answer to this exactly at the current gear and scaling, but general rule of thumb used to be to try to get as many MB per unit time as possible.

Ticks of MF do add up to be a lot if you manage to squeeze more in (its one of the skill-cap things about SP's that make them fun), but ending up casting every MB .5-1 sec LATE i dont think will end up being worth it.

Others with more current raiding knowledge and practice can give you a definitive answer on that, but in general I seem to always be short on GCD's when MB is up as opposed to out of them waiting for it. Prioritize VT in my eyes always because with the spec I run, the mind spike procs end up being a huge help during movement and as filler (not to mention how VT is our highest damage per cast skill [yes? still?])

You used to have to recast dots when getting intellect or damage % buffs, not sure about now--I would also like to know this because I tend to recast out of habit when getting short term buffs like hero/lust, on use trinkets, or PI. old habits die hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Do i need to recast VT and SWP when ToF procs? What about with on-use intellect trinkets?
    Simple thing to test: Go to a dummy, cast a dot and mf till trinket procs. See the dot damage change? No? Recast.
    If I'm not mistaken you have to recast the dot every time you get a new buff.

- If VT and SWP are about to expire and MB has just come off cooldown, which one do we prioritize?
    You can recast DoTs as early as 3 or 4 seconds before expiring w/o losing ticks. (Clipping is no more)

That makes it easy enough to avoid the quoted scenario.

ToF is a static damage increase and should effect all damage being done the moment it procs and while its active. Trinkets on the other hand that increase int/sp will not effect your dots unless you re-apply them while the procs are active.

I like to re-app dots early if I have 2 or more good procs up.

I set an audio que that pings 1 second before MB is off cooldown. It helps me squeeze in more MB by limiting GCD overlaps into the MB cooldown, and alerts me to check my MF ticks to clip appropriately. Typically, when I hear the ping, I prioritize spamming my MB keybind, sometimes allowing for a split second delay to clip MF right after a tick.

I may get rid of it eventually, but its really helping alot right now.

2-night progression raiding: http://www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Shadow-Raid Blog: http://shadow-raid.blogspot.com/

ToF is a static damage increase and should effect all damage being done the moment it procs and while its active. Trinkets on the other hand that increase int/sp will not effect your dots unless you re-apply them while the procs are active.
    Unless I misunderstood you, the ToF part isn't true for DoTs. ToF (and actually, other static damage increase effects as well now that I think about it) doesn't affect DoTs unless you re-apply them.

You are actually right... I think, but I'm going to test to be sure. I could swear the effect is applied to all damage, even existing dots. I see a few people saying dot refreshes are required, but none of them list a source or mention anything about testing it.

2-night progression raiding: http://www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Shadow-Raid Blog: http://shadow-raid.blogspot.com/

DoTs snapshot when cast, so if you get a proc/buff you need to reapply them. Channeled spells (MF, MSear) and Shadowfiend/Mindbender update dynamically.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure Mind Flay doesn't update dynamically. Mind Sear does, but it's weird in that every time it ticks, it gets cast on everyone in range. There is something fundamentally different about Mind Sear's mechanics.
    {[( )]}

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You can recast DoTs as early as 3 or 4 seconds before expiring w/o losing ticks. (Clipping is no more)

That makes it easy enough to avoid the quoted scenario.
    I'm pretty sure you only keep 1 tick at most. Warlocks lucked out this expansion and got Pandemic, but we still need to refresh in the last tick, or we're clipping.

Always MB on cooldown, nothing is more important than getting Shadow Orbs. This scenario is rare enough that what you do shouldn't matter, but some quick math suggests that the best thing to do is to never clip your DoTs, even if it means letting them fall off when MB is also up.

Someone could correct me though.