Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What happened to good old books?
    *No built in dictionary
    *You need two hands to turn the page (after you see how easy it is on a Kindle you'll never go back)
    *Being far at the end on either side of the book can make for uncomfortable reading.
    *So big.

You can literally have thousands of books on a Kindle.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

What the hell is a Kindle anyway?

Googled it. Next question: why on earth would anyone invent or pay money for such a thing?

Deleted
    Takes up too much space and much more expensive to buy. Although I prefer reading a paper copy over using my ebook reader, the reader is so handy I cannot do without it now. I have 800+ books on it that take up the same storage space as 2 smart phones.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post

Googled it. Next question: why on earth would anyone invent or pay money for such a thing?
    Why the hell wouldn't you?

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Why on earth would people want texting on an e-book?

The last thing I want when reading is to be disturbed by someone bothering me.

isnt the kindle fire more of a tablet like the ipad than an e-book reader?

anyway, as usual my family won't really do anything for presents, probably some chocolate / sweets. and a big family meal

Deleted

Unlimited books all on one device? You are right, daft idea.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    over a hundred books when I could go to the bookstore and get a 7 buck book, or to the library fo free.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Takes up too much space and much more expensive to buy. Although I prefer reading a paper copy over using my ebook reader, the reader is so handy I cannot do without it now. I have 800+ books on it that take up the same storage space as 2 smart phones.

yeah incredibly handy, espeically when traveling / going on holiday. its quite small, light and a very long battery life. and pretty cheap. talking about the original kindle, not the fire btw. for anyone who loves reading its a must have really.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you say electric scooter, do you mean one of these?

Because if so, 10 years old is probably exactly the right age for it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

over a hundred books when I could go to the bookstore and get a 7 buck book, or to the library fo free.
    My Kindle cost me $89. Now I never have to worry about getting my pages wet, lugging around heavy books, finding a dictionary/highlighting a word so that I remember to look it up, or finding a light when it gets dark. I can also read in very comfortable positions since I just have to hold and turn pages with one hand, which can be hard on a book.

There are also thousands of decent books out there for .99cents-$2.99 that you can only buy if you have an e-reader.

Deleted
    A hundred paper books would be $700 to buy then, you can get a good ebook reader for less than $100.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like not having to schlep myself over to a bookstore when I finish a book in a series before I get to read the next one. My Kindle works just as well as a paper book (better in some ways), and means I don't have to carry multiple books if I'm going away on an extended holiday somewhere. The one disadvantage to the Kindle is that it doesn't have that awesome book smell.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 05:38 PM ----------

You can borrow books from the library on your Kindle too for free.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 05:39 PM ----------

My Kindle cost me $89. Now I never have to worry about getting my pages wet, lugging around heavy books, finding a dictionary/highlighting a word so that I remember to look it up, or finding a light when it gets dark. I can also read in very comfortable positions since I just have to hold and turn pages with one hand, which can be hard on a book.

There are also thousands of decent books out there for .99cents-$2.99 that you can only buy if you have an e-reader.
    Not to mention all the books in the public domain. Feel like reading Mark Twain or Charles Dickens? It's free with an e-reader!

Because it's pretty much the most idiotic thing in the world to hold something else than a book in your hand when you want to read a book. Yes, it's THAT nonsensical and unneccessary.

The new text message function is another pinnacle of idiocy. Right on, I always wanted people to babble me up while I'm trying to read. My God.

Too bad we don't have digital toilet paper yet. I'm sure a lot of people would switch immediately. Like, hey dude, stick your tablet up your ... you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Unlimited books all on one device? You are right, daft idea.
    Well, yes indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    When you say electric scooter, do you mean one of these?

Because if so, 10 years old is probably exactly the right age for it.
    She didn't go into details but I sure hope that's what she is talking about. No way would I let him drive around on one of the highway ones.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Because it's pretty much the most idiotic thing in the world to hold something else than a book in your hand when you want to read a book. Yes, it's THAT nonsensical and unneccessary.

The new text message function is another pinnacle of idiocy. Right on, I always wanted people to babble me up while I'm trying to read. My God.

Too bad we don't have digital toilet paper yet. I'm sure a lot of people would switch immediately. Like, hey dude, stick your tablet up your ... you get the picture.

Well, yes indeed.
    You really haven't pointed out a real reason other than "it's not a book!"

You really haven't pointed out a real reason other than "it's not a book!"
    Isn't it self-explanatory? And aren't people who need it explained already lost and beyond any hope?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it self-explanatory? And aren't people who need it explained already lost and beyond any hope?
    Well since there are a lot of people in this thread that love their Kindles, no it's not self-explanatory, and no, we aren't already lost and beyond any hope.

Deleted
    Yet here you are using a modern PC, what the hell was wrong with using a pen and paper?

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account

What is wrong with you? What are you even talking about?

I really don't understand your aversion to this. If it's so self-explanatory please explain it... What are books made of? Words. Putting the words on a device that is more convenient than a book doesn't stop it from being what it is. Not to mention that a Kindle screen is perfect for reading; it's not like a computer screen, it looks like paper.