Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I just that their thinking that GW2 should always have a good or decent build is flawed. If they wanted to change it up for GW2 they should have at least gone the route that TSW has with their skill deck. If someone has a shitty build, so what.

Also I feel that the utility skills have too long of cooldowns. They don't feel a part of the active combat. In GW1 almost every build was taken into consideration of the elite skill. Here the elite skills feel superfluous. I love the active combat of GW2, if only the GW1 deck building could have been a part of it. Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I just that their thinking that GW2 should always have a good or decent build is flawed. If they wanted to change it up for GW2 they should have at least gone the route that TSW has with their skill deck. If someone has a shitty build, so what.

Also I feel that the utility skills have too long of cooldowns. They don't feel a part of the active combat. In GW1 almost every build was taken into consideration of the elite skill. Here the elite skills feel superfluous. I love the active combat of GW2, if only the GW1 deck building could have been a part of it. Just my opinion of course.
    One day, they shall make an MMO for us.

All my "yesssssssssssssssss'", Doozerjun. All of them.

I have long said that Secret World would be near my ideal MMO if the combat wasn't so... well, terrible. To be frank.

10+ Year Old Account

Personally, I'm fine with how GW2 is, however, if they make the skill system into a sort of deck building system like TSW or GW1 I'd be fucking ecstatic, I liked being able to fight how I wanted with wha I wanted and then completely cha he how I played without changing a single weapon or pet or w/e

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

I have long said that Secret World would be near my ideal MMO if the combat wasn't so... well, terrible. To be frank.
    Huh, my issue was the sub fee lol
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Elites in GW2 are basically what dervish forms were at release of nightfall. Retardedly overpowered game changers with hilariously long cooldowns. Only they nerfed them on actual power. Funnily they moved away from this design in GW1, because it was terrible design.

And then they incorporated it as baseline feature into GW2. Everyone has their "little moment of overpoweredness" followed by a long cooldown. Except that they nerfed the "overpowerednless" factor so much, that it ceased to matter in many cases, and when it did matter, it usually didn't last long enough.

I'll take my eviscerate/bull's charge/backbreaker (my olden GvG choices for axe/sword/hammer respectively) any day over GW2 elites. Or classic energy surge. These changed my gameplay style. They didn't just work as add-ons on top of it.

Well again, elites are usually what you built around in GW1, in GW2 they are just ancillary.

And on another note, if my "just like WoW" comparison on basis of "designing with easy to pick up, hard to master" aspect of games, essentially all modern blizzard games, and many others use this particular formula to create long term success for their games.

Starcrafts, Diablos, WoW, pretty much entire MOBA scene, competitive FPS scene, all of these require the game to adhere to this formula. They would not be successful for years after release without it. I suspect the reason why WoW was built on the formula was because success of it was widely established by original starcraft and two original diablo games before it. It's probably the same reason why arenanet chose to base GW1 on the same concept, and it worked.

Then they decided to chase the "casual" crowd, focused on bling and relative ease of access. And we got GW2. Which they were forced to market as "successor of GW1" for obvious marketing reasons, even though it was anything but.

And for the record, GW2 is in fact fairly hard for a new player to get into as compared to most of the competition, such as GW1 or WoW. Disregarding the "chaos" model over traditional threat (and heal/tank/dps trinity) model largely borrowed from GW1, new players must learn that their most important baseline skill is knowing how to move and kite. Most games do not require that just to get playing properly, GW2 does beyond first couple of tens of levels. Unless you're playing a warrior or a guardian of course. Games like GW1 and WoW did not require this knowledge for basic gameplay such as questing and finishing the "main storyline quest/hitting max level". GW2 does, it essentially requires you to adopt a mix of FPS "strafe and nuke" and MMO "snare and run" approach.

It's kind of why I like the combat, Lucky. I enjoy the action combat and I come from an FPS background so it comes naturally to me. If someone came from strictly mmos then I can see them struggling with it at first but it's not that hard to pick up in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

It was originally designed for action combat but for some reason things got too "messy" and it had to be cut. They added it now but tbh it's just not as good as Tera because Tera was designed for action combat so the mobs are designed that way. TSW mobs are not. You still just stand there and just point a cursor now it's not really action combat.

If they just sucked it up and stuck with their original plan things would of been a lot better for TSW. Probably would of blown Tera and GW2 out the window but alas they did not.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of why I like the combat, Lucky. I enjoy the action combat and I come from an FPS background so it comes naturally to me. If someone came from strictly mmos then I can see them struggling with it at first but it's not that hard to pick up in my opinion.
    This, except replace FPS with hack and slash/RPG background..

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Elites in GW2 are basically what dervish forms were at release of nightfall. Retardedly overpowered game changers with hilariously long cooldowns. Only they nerfed them on actual power. Funnily they moved away from this design in GW1, because it was terrible design.

And then they incorporated it as baseline feature into GW2. Everyone has their "little moment of overpoweredness" followed by a long cooldown. Except that they nerfed the "overpowerednless" factor so much, that it ceased to matter in many cases, and when it did matter, it usually didn't last long enough.

I'll take my eviscerate/bull's charge/backbreaker (my olden GvG choices for axe/sword/hammer respectively) any day over GW2 elites. Or classic energy surge. These changed my gameplay style. They didn't just work as add-ons on top of it.
    I really miss Lyssas Aura, and the old Signet of Illusion... Not to mention Crippling Anguish... Oh god how I miss Crippling Anguish!!

I gotta say I really do miss the elites that the build was built around... Well especially on my ranger, cause you know... Famine, Enranged Lunge, Strike as One oh how I miss thee... Well I don't -miss- them because I played GW1 fairly recently but you get what I mean!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.