Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ah, Simca. hehe

Somehow I can't picture Intel doing this though, but then again I am one to assume the best from people and companies. =/
    Read up on Intel's history of anti-consumer activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    My biggest concern with this sort of progress is that 'non-standard' builds will be harder. Mini-ITX with a high-end processor would be quite rare I imagine...
    What I'm thinking is, now you have like 20 z77 models from each manufacturer but for the haswell chipset they will limit the boards to 5 models orsomething in total per manufacturer in total

Broadwell is the die shrink of Haswell... If it's anything like Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge, you may end up skipping Broadwell entirely. The article also mentions that the successor Sky Lake will revert back to the socket system too.
    Maybe they reckon that most of the customers likely to want an LGA CPU upgrade only every second generation, so they might alternate BGA/LGA releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    What I'm thinking is, now you have like 20 z77 models from each manufacturer but for the haswell chipset they will limit the boards to 5 models orsomething in total per manufacturer in total
    Imo you'll see very few variations in each motherboard. Take Asus for example. I imagine that their Rampage or Maximus e-ATX motherboard will use the 3570k/3770k equivalents; any other variations are probably not going to exist at all for that motherboard.

Basically, you're probably going to see motherboards made to 'fit' the processors; you won't see each existing motherboard 'made to fit' to every damn model, and it's damn right naive if you ask me to expect more than a total of three variations of the same motherboard at most.

EDIT: Realize I misread. Fixed stuff.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-11-28 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You seriously believe they're gonna make a heap of models for the individual models of the processors? Imo you'll see very few variations in each motherboard. Take Asus for example. I imagine that their Rampage or Maximus e-ATX motherboard will use the 3570k/3770k equivalents; any other variations are probably not going to exist at all for that motherboard.

Basically, you're probably going to see motherboards made to 'fit' the processors; you won't see each existing motherboard 'made to fit' to every damn model, and it's damn right naive if you ask me to expect more than a total of three variations of the same motherboard at most.
    Yeah, you'll probably see something along the lines of:

The H77, Z75, B75 chipsets would have ranging from the G2120 to the i3 3220, maybe lower tier i5 like the 3330
    P8Z77-V LX + i5 3330-3450
    P8Z77-V LK + i5 3450-3550
    P8Z77-V LE + i5 3570 or i7 3770
    P8Z77-V, -V Pro, -V deluxe, -V Premium, Sabertooth, RoG + i5 3570K or i7 3770K

They might be nice and give the P8Z77-I Deluxe a 3570K/3770K, given that they went to the trouble of building a secondary PCB for VRM components.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-11-28 at 12:57 AM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I doubt that. I think a lot of people want to choose their own boards etc. And with AMDs track record, they wont have to replace their mobo when the cpu breaks down or stuff like that.

I mean if the differences are than, as they are now. And pricing is the same, i would go for AMD. I would gladly give up some gaming performance for free choice of parts.
    And intel will probably ask a premium for their stuff. And if for instance MSI/ASUS have to buy cpu's from intel for their boards, their prices might get a bump as well.
    lets put it in todays terms, if you could buy a i5-3570k presoldered on a decent mobo for 300, or a fx 8150 with whatever mobo you want for right around 300$ as well what would you do? i would certainly get the i5..if its your choice to get it the amd then so be it(not saying i support this idea at all though, i just want the best money can buy for the dollar)
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    lets put it in todays terms, if you could buy a i5-3570k presoldered on a decent mobo for 300, or a fx 8150 with whatever mobo you want for right around 300$ as well what would you do?
    Doubt pricing will be like that tho, that is about 80-100 dollar for a mobo. Thats quite low end, for me anyway. And lets compare it with the 8350 atleast :P But ye i would prob still go for AMD. I get your point tho, i think you are a bit to positive in the pricing on that one. But we just have to wait 2-3 years to see if it actually happens.

lets put it in todays terms, if you could buy a i5-3570k presoldered on a decent mobo for 300, or a fx 8150 with whatever mobo you want for right around 300$ as well what would you do? i would certainly get the i5..if its your choice to get it the amd then so be it(not saying i support this idea at all though, i just want the best money can buy for the dollar)
    If it were an 8150? No. An 8350 on the other hand? I definitely consider it.

Considering the 8350 is on par with the 2600k even in multi-threaded tasks, you can bet your ass that many (informed) users would go that route over this shit that Intel is trying to pull. I'd rather lose 5% performance and gain a ton of customization.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    That's the whole point from Intel. They sell more.
    They will never get past governmental agencies with it - this is simply not environmentally sound. For consumer laptops, I am all for pre-soldered stuff, as it decreases the size, cost and also arguably increases reliability; and there is no real reason to ever upgrade it provided the initial configuration is meaningful. But for professional grade computers like workstations and servers, individual parts must be replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Considering the 8350 is on par with the 2600k even in multi-threaded tasks
    But nowhere nearly on par with single threaded tasks.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    They will never get past governmental agencies with it - this is simply not environmentally sound. For consumer laptops, I am all for pre-soldered stuff, as it decreases the size, cost and also arguably increases reliability; and there is no real reason to ever upgrade it provided the initial configuration is meaningful. But for professional grade computers like workstations and servers, individual parts must be replaceable.
    How do you think Apple got their 2012 MacBook Pro through?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    How do you think Apple got their 2012 MacBook Pro through?
    Its a fairly niche laptop, not a mainstream professional workstation. Again, I fully support designs like the 2012 MBP, although I wish the SSD used a standard slot (like mSATA or PCI-E mini).

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be bga only because maybe they're not considering to release broadwell onto desktops at all. After all it's just pretty much a die shrink and they're certainly not in a hurry to release the current shrink, ivy bridge, to the LGA2011 platform. Next time they might feel it's not even worth it for desktops at all.

Indeed. A single psych core from SB is like twice as fast as a single FX core. Forget the virtual cores now.

Both @ 5GHz, used psych cores only
    1. 2600K 1core enabled, GPU usage 14% & 8FPS - http://i.imgur.com/aSjG6.jpg
    2. 2600K 2cores enabled, GPU usage 54% & 35fps - http://i.imgur.com/Y5EVK.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if that 8350 is going to hold it.

10-15% differences at best aren't really huge gaps.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Indeed. A single psych core from SB is like twice as fast as a single FX core. Forget the virtual cores now.

Both @ 5GHz, used psych cores only
    1. 2600K 1core enabled, GPU usage 14% & 8FPS - http://i.imgur.com/aSjG6.jpg
    2. 2600K 2cores enabled, GPU usage 54% & 35fps - http://i.imgur.com/Y5EVK.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if that 8350 is going to hold it.
    No, they aren't "twice as fast". Read reviews please. Also, there's no such thing as a "psych core".
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 08:32 AM ----------

No, they aren't "twice as fast". Read reviews please. Also, there's no such thing as a "psych core".
    physical cores vs virtual ones im assuming. (HT for intel pretty much)
    10% performance can be hitting that 60fps or not in wow pretty easy.......

10-15% differences at best aren't really huge gaps.[COLOR="red"]
    10-15% is the difference between CPU generations. This is absolutely 'huge'.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    10-15% is the difference between CPU generations. This is absolutely 'huge'.
    If by the word generation you mean die shrinks, sure. If by generation you mean -actual- architecture changes, then no. 10-15% would be horrendous.

Regardless, Vishera is fine. The 8320/4300/6300 absolutely dominate Intel at the $200 and below segment. Majority of the nonsensical bashing of them stems from people that have only been following building and components for less than 2 years. AMD has dominated a handful of generations at every price point, so has Intel. It goes back and forth.

build pics

You couldn't be more wrong. Intel really is nearly twice as fast on single thread performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...s=551&i=38.344

This is why AMD processors suck donkey balls on games.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.