Thread: Levelling Spec?

Deleted

Levelling Spec?

Hey guys

I am levelling a paladin to play Holy in PvP when i get to 90.

At the moment i am lvl 50 and have been ret so far, is it best to stay in the DPS spec all the way through to 90?

I was thinking prot might be better closer to 90 as mobs hit harder?

Thanks for any tips!

Deleted
    Stay retribution, faster levelling, levelling as protection is painful as you just don't have the damage.

I think all specs works fine when leveling. I haven't tried Retribution after 5.0 but Protection works great for me. Even at the higher levels you can easily take 4-5 mobs at a time with only green quest gear, especially if you pick the Eternal Flame talent.

Deleted
    ill stick with ret and try prot after 85 then if i have problems!

Is Seal of truth the one to be using for general questing?

Prot was good cause you can gather more mobs up but you need to watch your CD's

If you're tunnelling down mobs quickly, use SoR for the instant damage to help burst. If you're dying and mobs aren't dying fast, swap between SoT and SoI.

Deleted
    Imo SoI since allows you to pull more.

If you are not using SoI your not pulling enough
    Very easy to pull 10-20 mobs, especially as prot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightcaller View Post
    I think all specs works fine when leveling. I haven't tried Retribution after 5.0 but Protection works great for me. Even at the higher levels you can easily take 4-5 mobs at a time with only green quest gear, especially if you pick the Eternal Flame talent.
    You think Holy works fine when leveling? My main is Holy as MS, but I went retri to level up. You get good free heals to keep yourself alive, and your damage is good. Prot gives you heals and survivability, but you won't be able to kill -that- fast as retri. Surely you could take some extra enemies on, but in the end, you will fall short due the low dmg compared to retri.

Idk if it's been adjusted but if you continue lvling as ret I suggest picking up Glyph of Last Word and using Word of Glory as a 3HP finisher over TV atleast until you unlock Mastery.

if you're not planning on tanking at 90, there's no huge advantage to leveling as prot

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    if you're not planning on tanking at 90, there's no huge advantage to leveling as prot
    this is not true. because if you lvl as ret you will get retri gear. this means when you start doing heroics you have atleast somewhat the gear you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ret is the way togo and prot is kinda fun chain pulling etc
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
    Hey guys

At the moment i am lvl 50 and have been ret so far, is it best to stay in the DPS spec all the way through to 90?

Thanks for any tips!
    If you want to chain pull 5, 6, 7 even 8 mobs without dying, stay Prot. And yes, i'm talking about lvl 85+ mobs. From the pesky initial monkeys to the tough guys. Even elite mobs are a joke.

If you want to forget about healing pots, bandages and resting (resting?, what's that?), stay Prot. WoG heals are the only thing you'll need.

If you want to be nearly unkillable, stay Prot.

Deleted
    For up to the Outlands I'd say ret because there just aren't enough mobs for you to pull. Outlands and Northrend have a lot higher mob density on average, meaning prot would be my choice here. For Cataclysm it's kind of a tough call, the further we go on the levels the worse tank damage scaling becomes, I'd probably still stay prot here. Mists of Pandaria though, you really want to go with ret, especially if you can your hands on the megaweapon that you can grab from the ocean in the Dread Wastes.

When leveling, I like to watch some series or some Starcraft 2 on my second screen though, so to be able to be completely braindead while leveling I often choose the tankier spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    this is not true. because if you lvl as ret you will get retri gear. this means when you start doing heroics you have atleast somewhat the gear you need.
    How is what the person you quoted said not true then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    The only DPS stat that Prot doesn't get much mileage out of is crit rating, so using Ret gear (with decent amounts of mastery and haste) wouldn't be too much of a problem when you first start tanking at 90.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
    Hey guys

Thanks for any tips!
    Stay ret until 90. Have a Holy offspec for dungeons while leveling. Once you reach 88 and go to Townlong Steps, start taking Holy gear from quest rewards instead of ret gear. You can quest as ret just fine in what you'll be wearing at the time until 90, but you want to make sure you have a serviceable set of Holy gear from 88-90 and also once you hit 90 to use in healing dungeons.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Deleted
    hey guys

Im 63 now still ret.

I dont do dungeons or any end game pve, pvp only, so ill probably stay ret to 90 then go holy and grind all holy pvp gear and leave it at that