Min/Maxing Ele dps racial question

Hey folks,

So I know in the guide troll is listed as slightly above orc which is above panda in terms of the top racials, however I'm looking for a little more in depth analysis. I'm looking at race changing out of Panda for the theoretical dps increase, but i'm having trouble justifying the benefits of troll and orc when looking at this in a more practical manner.

For troll, the optimal time to pop berserking would be with ascendance, but on fights where my guild uses lust on the start i would have to waste berserking (because i'm already hitting the haste cap on LvB) in order to keep it timed with ascendance. Waiting to pop berserking after lust would push back my ascendance by the duration of lust.

For orc, having blood fury on a 2 minute CD would mean delaying its use by 1 minute in order to time it with my second ascendance at the 3 minute mark of the fight, and then again to hit ascendance at the 6 minute mark. alternately I use it on CD and don't have it up for the second ascendance.

The only drawback for Panda is that if you die and ank/get a brez, you lose the food buff altogether and waste the racial completely.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Any considerations to swing my vote in a specific direction? Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Compromise and go with Goblin. The 1% haste isn't bad at all, and the rocket jump is situationally invaluable. I can't tell you how many times it's saved my ass where I would have died, likely causing a wipe. It's also amazing for covering ground quickly when you want to get back to DPSing ASAP.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

I've honestly been wondering the same thing myself. Like you outlined above, to make orc and troll work to their fullest, there are times when you'll have to delay your racials and times when they won't line up with ascendance. I'm curious if orc/troll were modeled in the typical tank n spank type of fight. Also, on top of delaying it, there are some fights where depending on the mechanics you may delay your cd's even more and if you're already delaying them due to aligning them with racials, I fear you could almost miss out on one CD during the duration of the fight. Now I know if that's the case, you wouldn't delay your CD at all, but isn't that the point the OP is trying to make, that in practice orc/troll may not be the best??

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why Goblin is a better choice, in my opinion. You're both absolutely right that Orc and Troll have awkward cooldowns to align with our base CDs, and Pandaren is a big risk, in that a death completely negates their racial. Goblin's racial is always active and the only time it loses its effectiveness is when you're GCD capped because of haste procs (not all that common). But like I said earlier, their real strength is rocket jump. No other race has a racial that can save wipes as often as that one can (Pandaren's bouncy could very rarely, and a correctly timed rocket jump would save you in the same situation).

Pandaren are considered to be the best race period. (I haven't done the math myself, just what I've read and heard from other raiders) The reason being is the food buffs racial. You can get +250, 275, or 300 of any stat in the game, including primary stats. The downside is you lose that buff every time you die...

For ele, I would go Goblin, you can reforge off 1% of your haste into Mastery and done.

a little off topic, if you think about going Enhance, Orc wins by far

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocsCall View Post

a little off topic, if you think about going Enhance, Orc wins by far
    Does Orc Racial affect Wolves and Fire Elemental/Earth Elemental? Curiously ... I think most logs and stuff count Searing Totem as a Pet, would that count? Or is it a Spell?

And considering how much better haste has become for us, would the attack speed increase from Berserking not be better than Blood Fury?

I love my troll for Enhance, and hate Pandaren so fuck that noise, but I have been toying with the idea of Orc to try and push my limits slightly...

I believe only wolves, and Primal elementals are affected, but seeing as how Blizz made all totems spells now, I don't know how that will work now. To be honest, I'm not sure wolves are affected anymore since you don't get a "pet bar" with them.

The beserking buff is nice, but orcs have 1% expertise with axes and fists (That's 340 free expertise) AND Blood fury (increasing attack power by 4,514 and Spell power by 2,257)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocsCall View Post
    I believe only wolves, and Primal elementals are affected, but seeing as how Blizz made all totems spells now, I don't know how that will work now. To be honest, I'm not sure wolves are affected anymore since you don't get a "pet bar" with them.

The beserking buff is nice, but orcs have 1% expertise with axes and fists (That's 340 free expertise) AND Blood fury (increasing attack power by 4,514 and Spell power by 2,257)

I had no idea their expertise effected Fists!

10+ Year Old Account
    The expertise also gets converted to hit rating on casters, although it's really rare to get caster axes/fists anymore. The last one I remember was firelands, and before that... Naxx? I was really hopeful about this tier because there were a ton of questing caster axes, but no such luck.
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2012-11-29 at 05:07 AM.

Deleted
    On my Last sims int was about Three times as good as any secondary stat , which would make panda a nobrainer. Though my gear is pretty Bad so the value will change in favor of the offstats the better your gear becomes.
    Last edited by mmoc2e9ed64cdd; 2012-11-29 at 11:45 AM.