Quote Originally Posted by Baltasar View Post
    I would not kill em,i would cut off theire legs with a chainsaw so they cant rob people anymore.
    You sound like that Egyptian guy on this forum who was in medical school and when he saw a looter cut the tendons in his knees. Oh you both are class acts.

From what it sounds like this went far beyond self defense and protection of his home and property. Maybe he was in a panicked state, or angry at the two for trying to rob him, we do not know. The fact that he shot and killed them after they were no longer a threat makes this a self defense turned into an execution, which he should be held accountable for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    What part of the rest of the world? The largest mass murder of people with guns didn't even occur in the US.
    Like others said, irrelevant... But we can make a relevancy if you ask for it.....
    You referring to the incident in Norway, right?
    Okay.. I'm game..
    Go, find the numbers of any such case starting with 5+ people killed in Norway, and in the USA. Use the last 25 year. I don't want to overstress you.
    Find every mall shooting, school shooting, movies shooting etc.
    Then give us the numbers and we talk again, okay?

Btw; I say 5+ just to be fair and give you somewhat of a chance that you could find a pro-US result.
    You won't tho..

Quote Originally Posted by Alkin View Post
    But keep in mind, when i say crime prevention i don't necessarily mean locks or security systems or bunkers. I'm talking about educational reforms minimizing criminal activity in youth, limiting or restricting access to lethal arms, situation crime prevention like increasing patrols in high crime areas. Stuff like that. Giving someone a gun does nothing to structurally correct the issue at hand.
    America isn't about "correcting"

You've done bad and we "could" rehabilitate you? Ah fuck it into jail with you no rehabilitation you were a criminal so we have to show you how cruel the world is and punish you!!! You piece of scum should just be killed off for making mistakes in life that can be easily corrected with some rehabilitation.

There's crime? Oh just get a gun, so you can shoot everyone who poses a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yeah but when you have a security system with alarms and all that, it is a clear deterrent. This guy kept getting broken into and decided to straight kill them. Every time he got broken into there wasn't a threat to his life, and they didn't have weapons, so exactly why did he decide to kill them? It merely wasn't self defense.
    He didn't know if they had weapons or not, and he shouldn't have to wait to find out.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Everyone needs to read Minnesota Statue 609.065 before commenting again.

There's no "reasonable belief" that a teenager that has been shot and lying on the floor is in any way going to inflict any harm or commit a felony. This was murder the instant he fired again.
    609.06 AUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE.
    Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other's consent when the following circumstances exist or the actor reasonably believes them to exist:
    (3) when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person

10+ Year Old Account
    He has the right to defend his home.... but yeahhh he went to far. The kids were dumb for breaking into his house but they shouldn't have been killed...
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Yeah but when you have a security system with alarms and all that, it is a clear deterrent. This guy kept getting broken into and decided to straight kill them. Every time he got broken into there wasn't a threat to his life, and they didn't have weapons, so exactly why did he decide to kill them? It merely wasn't self defense.
    there was defense of property though. i think the dude very clearly crossed the line, but i personally believe in one's right to defend one's home. i have a 2 year old, if someone breaks into my home im not going to try to guess what the person's motives are, there is way too much at stake. that said, i dont have a gun or even want one. i have no problem with responsible gun ownership, or even responsible gun use. when someone is reckless or malicious they need to be prosecuted, as is happening here

America isn't about "correcting"

You've done bad and we "could" rehabilitate you? Ah fuck it into jail with you no rehabilitation you were a criminal so we have to show you how cruel the world is and punish you!!! You piece of scum should just be killed off for making mistakes in life that can be easily corrected with some rehabilitation.

There's crime? Oh just get a gun, so you can shoot everyone who poses a threat.
    Exactly man, the country has a huge issue if people need to hold weapons to feel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Like others said, irrelevant... But we can make a relevancy if you ask for it.....
    You referring to the incident in Norway, right?
    Okay.. I'm game..
    Go, find the numbers of any such case starting with 5+ people killed in Norway, and in the USA. Use the last 25 year. I don't want to overstress you.
    Find every mall shooting, school shooting, movies shooting etc.
    Then give us the numbers and we talk again, okay?

Btw; I say 5+ just to be fair and give you somewhat of a chance that you could find a pro-US result.
    You won't tho..
    25 years lol. 5+ in like 10 honestly.

Would you count public strip mall shootings into shootings? We've had in the past what 12-13 years at least AT LEAST 7 school shootings, it's much higher than that, but those are the big ones I remember. Then you have the kid who killed his gay class mate because he hit on him. The kid who killed his friend in school just because he wanted to kill

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    What part of the rest of the world? The largest mass murder of people with guns didn't even occur in the US.
    I have so many trollish comments to that, but i think i just stick to being nice.
    It doesn't matter that a single case wasn't at you. If you had all the school-shootings that ever happened at you, except one, that wsa the biggerst killing, would you then use that as argument for not having a problem?

Norway got their insane massmurderer, but overall they're a very peacefull country, that havn't responded with more violence to the shooting at utöya.

I'dd rather have one very succesfull criminal, than the entire population supporting it on a smaller basis.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly man, the country has a huge issue if people need to hold weapons to feel safe.

Maybe, or maybe Americans see it as their responsibility to be accountable for their own lives, rather than to have it dictated to them by their government or criminals, and in some cases one in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    609.06 AUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE.
    Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other's consent when the following circumstances exist or the actor reasonably believes them to exist:
    (3) when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person
    You should read the statue I linked again pal.

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06,

Quote Originally Posted by Vrealiabronze View Post
    you break into someones house, you dont deserve sympathy, yes the guy didn't need to shoot them multiple times and should have called the police after they were shot, where the kids armed?,i believe in defending your home and valuables and robbers need to be taught a big lesson and a message needs to be sent so others will think twice
    notice how the link they are saying how good these kids were and how they shouldn't be demonized, its their faults for robbing
    But you need to look at the situation. The old man was robbed a lot in the past year and when he saw the boy he shot him and he sure was angry because as a lot of people think they probably are the same ones that robbed him in the past. As the girl came down to look what happened to the boy he shot her and what did she do? She laughed at him and I bet everyone would get even angrier than before.

So I can understand why he did what he did and keep in mind that being robbed is an extreme situation where you will do extreme things. Just saying he should have done this and that is unrealistic because in an extreme situation you do what you think is right at the moment even if you later on think that it was wrong.

I think he did the wrong thing by killing them both but I wouldn't punish him for doing it because it was an extreme situation and as he said himself it was wrong what he did.

There is also another issue that hasn't really been addressed. If you issue is safety and protecting your family, i guess that is understandable. But would you really feel safe if you lived near this guys neighbour? If you were a parent living near the guy, knowing that if you young child strays too far into the guys property, maybe trying to find a lost ball or something, the guy could react in an incredibly violent manner, as he has shown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The article never states those two were the ones that robbed him previously.
    "His brother, Bruce Smith, said that this was the latest of eight burglaries in recent years.
    Byron Smith said that he suspected that the two had been responsible for at least some of those past robberies."

lol my favorite part. HELL YEAH THEY DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY ROT IN HELL!

'Smith described it as "a good clean finishing shot",'

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggve View Post
    "His brother, Bruce Smith, said that this was the latest of eight burglaries in recent years.
    Byron Smith said that he suspected that the two had been responsible for at least some of those past robberies."
    Last I heard a suspicion is not a conviction.

I wouldn't personally do anything, because this sort of thing is fixed on a larger format than in my personal life. But how many stories of this nature come from Australia? You could find MAYBE one or two, but you would be hard pressed to even do that. It is a structural change to the legal system which helps to prevent homicidal outcomes of minor crimes and it works.
    How would have you prevented:
    29 January 2012 - Giovanni Focarelli, son of Comancheros gang member Vincenzo Focarelli, was shot dead whilst Vincenzo survived the fourth attempt on his life.[60]
    28 April 2012 - A man opened fire in a busy shopping mall in Robina on the Gold Coast shooting Bandidos bikie Jacques Teamo. A woman who was an innocent bystander was also injured from a shotgun blast to the leg. Neither of the victims died, but the incident highlighted the recent increase in gun crime across major Australian cities including Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.
    22 May 2012 - A man and two young children were found dead by police in a house in Leanyer, Northern Territory. The 23-year-old man was the father and stepfather of the two children, a boy and a girl, aged 4 and 8.
    22 September 2012 - Radio producer Jill Meagher was raped and killed by convicted criminal Adrian Bayley. She was abducted while walking approximately five minutes to her home from Bar Etiquette on Sydney Road in Brunswick, a suburb north of Melbourne. Her body was buried in a shallow grave along the road verge of Blackhill Road, South Gisborne.

Those are all from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Maybe, or maybe Americans see it as their responsibility to be accountable for their own lives, rather than to have it dictated to them by their government or criminals, and in some cases one in the same.
    I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible for their own safety, just that the government should do everything in it's power to improve the living standards of its people. Because you know... That literally is it's purpose.