Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSoup View Post
    So correct what I said then, since you know so very much apparently
    To put it clear again (even though I'm not the one addressed here): when you refresh a dot, it takes over the stats that you have at that very moment, buffs the dot on the target had (or didn't have) do not count anymore. That's about it.
    That is why affdots is such a powerful tool (given it works correctly), you just know when you'd waste your time or when it would be beneficial to refresh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Too lazy to make a macro?
    Yeah but if you're going to macro your on use trinket you might as well just get a proc one, cause it's the same thing then: an uncontrolled burst of damage you need to take advantage of. It's better to have the proc trinket then cause they tend to be better results for their ilevel then on-use ones. ( Case in point the LotC compared to the on use faction trinket: 5 seconds of proc time more. That is pretty damn HUGE.)

At minimum, put you on-use trinket with your DarkSoul. It won't be supper-effective but if you are just bad at remembering trinket and stuff, then it's still something...

About MrSoup, I think he's refering to the Pandemic Smoothing bug. It will be fixed in 5.1 so trying to learn how to cheat your way is just too late.

But I can be wrong about him.
    Last edited by Shauni; 2012-11-27 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah but if you're going to macro your on use trinket you might as well just get a proc one, cause it's the same thing then: an uncontrolled burst of damage you need to take advantage of.
    Thats just the thing, its not uncontrolled. Its macro'd to SB:SS which I use to refresh dots in the pandemic window automatically making my dots use the trinket effect. It also requires a lot less reacting to procs thus gives the player more time to focus on other stuff. Its all up to personal preference ofc but I've tried running with two proc trinkets a lot of times and it just doesnt feel as smooth. I am really happy to see the other on use trinket in 5.1. Only a one minute cd thats the best part

I wish fel flame will update or extend agony aswell, what i do is fel flame and refresh agony manually everytime i gain at least 2 procs and/or i activate DS.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    I wish fel flame will update or extend agony aswell, what i do is fel flame and refresh agony manually everytime i gain at least 2 procs and/or i activate DS.
    Totally. Agony really feels awkward right now, as you constantly need to clip it.

I agree that it would be a very nice quality of life improvement, but don't let FelFlame find it's way. Even if it "refresh" corru and unstable, it's still a spell you want to use as little as possible.

Deleted
    Get the addon affdots It does this thinking, on the live, for you.
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots

Anyone else still using the 463 Flashfrozen rezin on use Intellect trinket? It gives 4k intellect for 25 seconds every 2.5 minutes.
    I have the DMC trinket in my second slot. I also have the Light of the Cosmos trinket but I just leave it in my bags
    Light of the Cosmos is approximately a trillion times better than Flashfrozen Resin Globule. Just saying.

It's complicated.
    Haste buff applies only to dots that are on target when it falls off, draining (=additional dot ticks) gets slower and does not receive any benefit.
    Intellect buff applies to both dots on target and draining after it falls off.
    Don't have any math, just a thing I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    Light of the Cosmos is approximately a trillion times better than Flashfrozen Resin Globule. Just saying.
    Ye you would think so and I have it in the bank. Simwise it will probably be a lot better. But gameplay wise I prefer on use trinkets. I've tested it extensively just because simwise its so much better. Still I get higher dps using the Flashfrozen Resin Globule.

in the short burst maybe, but you need to test it over time. Cosmos has a much higher uptime due to its low internal cooldown.

Do a long block of like 10 minutes on a dummy and youll see your dps improve. dont worry about timing your casts to coincide with trinkets or procs, just refresh at minimum internals, pop DI as soon as it is available no matter what your in the middle of doing. Thats what simcraft does, it doesnt wait for the best time, it just clicks any on-use as soon as they are available.

Ye you would think so and I have it in the bank. Simwise it will probably be a lot better. But gameplay wise I prefer on use trinkets. I've tested it extensively just because simwise its so much better. Still I get higher dps using the Flashfrozen Resin Globule.
    I don't know how... light of the cosmos yields much better results. Especially if you're macro'ing into dark soul (since globule has a 2.30sec cd) or even if it's macro'd into sb:sw not only are you using a trinket that isn't as good. Your neglecting uptime on the trinket that isn't so good.

Deleted
    My very simple math tells me that the breakpoint in where it´s better to not refresh should be where they are about 3% stronger with GOS. What number of int this translates to i´m not really sure.

Int procced dmg (only casting MG) = (0.75 * ("average dot tick" * x) * 3 * 2) + 3("average dot tick" * x)" = 7.5 * x * "average dot tick"
    DS procced dmg (only casting MG) = (0.75 * "average dot tick" * 3 * 2) + 3(1.2 * ("average dot tick") = 8.1 * "average dot tick"

This gives an x of 1.08 which translates into it needing to be 8% stronger for it to be a higher value. All other stats are the same in this calculation so they should not matter. If your dots are ticking for an average of 10k (which is slightly low i´m guessing) they need to tick for 800 more dmg because of the buff for it might not be the best choice to instantly refresh them when dark soul is popped. It is better to just continue to channel MG.

Disclaimer: The initial math was very wrong. I would think that 8% is the correct value with GOS, without it the threshold will be at 10% which seems reasonable considering MG then does the same amount of dmg that the dots themselves do over time.
    Last edited by mmoc605360fbde; 2012-11-30 at 08:57 AM.

You're letting the amount of int on flashfrozen fool you. Yeah, it's 4k int. But it is also on a lifetime of a cd. Where as LotC is only on a 45 sec cd. There is no way humanly possible that FFG is going to give you better results.

A few things are probably going wrong with your testing. FFG has 800+ hit on it. So you're swapping out FFG with LotC, and forgetting about the hit which will leave you lacking. And you probably aren't tracking your procs, so you're getting only a small part of what you could be getting out of Light by refreshing dots when it procs. FFG just isn't good. Your testing is going wrong somewhere.

Ok, thread got kinda derailed and there doesn't seem to be a solid response to the original question: dots are fully refreshed just before dark soul expires, then a couple seconds after dark soul expires three int buffs proc -- should we refresh or not ?

I suppose the answer could be figured out by using that AffDots addon and doing a few dummy tests ... assuming its maths are correct ... but if you already have timers/trackers/whatever set up, you would just need to know the relative strengths of each to determine what has higher value ...

Without knowing for sure myself, I've been treating DS as certainly stronger than any given int proc, but certainly weaker than if I have four (the three OP mentioned plus tailoring cape enchant) ... when it's two or three it really depends on what they are ...

hrm, maybe i could try affdots out just long enough to figure this out ... unless someone can chime in definitively
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

The answer is obviously "it depends". It depends on gear level, for one: DS is a multiplicative haste buff, so it will always have the same relative strength no matter what your gear level is, while intellect buffs decrease in relative strength as your gear improves. It also depends on whether you're going to be channeling MG on the target for the duration of these dots or not. Ensuring that intellect procs affect the dots will also increase the damage of the MG-triggered dot "ticks", while the haste from DS will not affect those extra ticks at all. Because of this, in a 100% single target situation, refreshing with a full set of intellect procs is clearly better than with DS.

But you also have to take into account the GCD and shard you spend refreshing the dots. I'm personally very reluctant to decrease my haunt uptime by using a shard in this way, and I probably wouldn't do it if the dots already up are affected by a DS which has since faded. Especially if the duration remaining on the dots is long enough for a large part of the pandemic-refreshed duration to be wasted due to the 150% base duration cap.
    http://wowupgrade.com/ - instant gear comparison for all classes / specs

In the context of the original question, there's no reason to refresh. If you can tell it's stronger via AffDots (and it won't be that much stronger) you can think about Fel Flaming, but if you just refreshed via DS no trinket proc is short enough that you can't just wait 10 seconds (god forbid you're still using Mithril Wristwatch), 12, or 15 seconds and then consider again. At that point, refreshing via shard will probably be worth it.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.