Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

3D printing & America

So with the upcoming fad of 3D printing i came across an article about an American company.

Defense Distributed http://defensedistributed.com/

It stuns me (once again) to see that America prefers to print guns over, well lets say something like.. healthy food, Pacemakers, things-that-matter and better the living conditions of millions.

Im not out to bash America or nothing, i'm just curious how its justified by the American population. Isn't it about time the American people stood up and went like: "Srsly.. wtf?". The theory of "We could save millions and better their living standards, but we choose to create weapons." is beyond me.

Anyone care to explain? Please solve this mystery. And don't bash Americans in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    It stuns me (once again) to see that America prefers to print guns over, well lets say something like.. healthy food, Pacemakers, things-that-matter and better the living conditions of millions.
    You got this from 1 company preferring to print guns? I know a lot of other 3D companys that do pretty much everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    So with the upcoming fad of 3D printing i came across an article about an American company.

Im not out to bash America or nothing, i'm just curious how its justified by the American population. Isn't it about time the American people stood up and went like: "Srsly.. wtf?". The theory of "We could save millions and better their living standards, but we choose to create weapons." is beyond me.

Anyone care to explain? Please solve this mystery. And don't bash Americans in the process.
    It's not an either-or scenario. We can do many things with the same technology sometimes.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mutually exclusive?
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    The weapons that are being printed are not safe, use only if you hate your fingers.

Please don't make the assumption that since one company does it every single 3D printing company in the USA does.

well lets say something like.. healthy food
    If you 3d print guns out of the same material you 3d print healthly food you have some serious issues. Not the same resources being consumed. Not mutually exclusive.

Also wtf do you need to 3d print healthly food for? Healthly food is grown in the ground. It 3d prints itself. You would have to process any healthly food, to the point that it was probably no longer healthly, for that food to be a reliable medium to 3d print with.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-11-27 at 03:55 PM.

how would one print healthy food? and couldnt you save save time by eating whatever you stuck into the machine instead of using it to print? pacemakers? they can print reliable electronics?

you're reaching tbh. one company is doing something that is currently possible, not every american, and not things that are not currently possible

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Please don't make the assumption that since one company does it every single 3D printing company in the USA does.
    OP: "but...but I thought it was both fun and permitted to point out how Americans are neobarbs on this forum. I thought bashing the murderous americans would be a popular thread!
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Print healthy food......Lol. It is not a replicator from Star trek.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    this is how we will have twinkies in the future. i am saving a pack for a pattern when the replicator is invented. if it takes a hundred or 2 years, it's ok, i'll bequeath the pack of twinkies to my children, the twinkies will keep

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    this is how we will have twinkies in the future. i am saving a pack for a pattern when the replicator is invented. if it takes a hundred or 2 years, it's ok, i'll bequeath the pack of twinkies to my children, the twinkies will keep
    I am still waiting for the dumbass that tries to sue the company because he lost all of his teeth trying to eat a "printed" apple.

How about instead of just a gun, an entire line-up of replacement household products, that could save me thousands of dollars in the long-run?

No offense to Americans, but a lot of great ideas that come out of the U.S. get washed over with 2nd Amendment overtones and end up losing broad support. I fail to see how this one is going to be different, considering it's already starting out that way.

Like for example, Libertarianism has been cheapened to the 'guns and weed' movement by so many people that I refuse to call myself libertarian anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Computer: Hot chocolate with whipped creme.

*bzzzzzt*

Why the fuck does this taste like a polymer?
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-11-27 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Because wars make money for "Defense Units" by trading lives with bullets. It's just the way the world works. Healthy food makes money for farmers, but that money doesn't serve the bigger picture of making the rich richer.
    I can't believe a moderator would say something this flameworthy. The healthy food suggestion is asinine. To make a gun as these guys did, you need one material. replicated throughout the device. To make healthy food, or shitty food for that matter. You would need a material that is ALREADY FOOD. This wouldn't make money for farmers, they sell raw food, they wouldn't be the ones using these printers.

I make 3D models of hospitals in my program here at school. Not everyone makes guns, in fact I would say the majority of uses for 3D printers have to do with prototyping and construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    How about instead of just a gun, an entire line-up of replacement household products, that could save me thousands of dollars in the long-run?
    oh god this. if i had one id have a gazillion programs for it for any number of items, none of which would be a gun or any other weapon

hahaha that made my day :'D

'merica!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Computer: Hot chocolate with whipped creme.

*bzzzzzt*

Why the fuck does this taste like a polymer?
    Proteins are polymers, as is DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    oh god this. if i had one id have a gazillion programs for it for any number of items, none of which would be a gun or any other weapon
    Yeah, like when you go to make some eggs, and your spatula just goes *snap*. Suddenly you're down 10 bucks for a new spatula, plus gas or bus fare to get to the store, plus half an hour in line to pay for the damn thing.

Be nice to just go to the computer and for a couple of dollars worth of power and materials have a brand new one.