Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by tibbee View Post
    2. There's no such thing as a mastery breakpoint. Why do people keep saying that? Mastery holds a linear value no matter how much mastery rating you add. You can in theory go above 100% mastery and still gain the same value, because it would just add more than 100% scaling healing.
    I don't think anyone in this thread made mention of a "mastery breakpoint". Most people just have a goal to stay around 50% mastery, not that it loses value or diminishes. However, 50% is just a nice number to have so that you're not gimping your other stats. Other people could easily decide they want to shoot for 60%.

Umm so unless Simcraft is wrong, in BiS Elemental gear with Elemental Blast and Echo of Elements the scale factors for crit and mastery are 1.49 and 1.50 respectively with haste being at 1.38 and int 3.97. However this is a lot different with worse gear (crit is behind significantly), but at least you can then look forward to your crit value improving as your gear improves.

As for Resto, crit is also pretty good as mentioned.

Crit has always been overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread made mention of a "mastery breakpoint". Most people just have a goal to stay around 50% mastery, not that it loses value or diminishes. However, 50% is just a nice number to have so that you're not gimping your other stats. Other people could easily decide they want to shoot for 60%.
    The issue that I have with that is saying that you "want to stay around 50% mastery" is an arbitrary goal that holds no logic. Either Mastery or Crit is going to be a better throughput stat for you, depending on the average HP that your raid sits at during a boss fight. If Crit > Mastery, Crit is going to be better than mastery whether you are at 20% , 50% or 150% mastery, and you should reforge mastery to crit. Unlike haste and breakpoints, there is no reasonable stat priority where Mastery is better to 50% and then Crit becomes better after 50% mastery; both stats have a linear value. It's a theorycrafting fallacy to set "mastery goals". To properly min-max stats, you either go full mastery or full crit; there is no value in balancing them.

The issue that I have with that is saying that you "want to stay around 50% mastery" is an arbitrary goal that holds no logic. Either Mastery or Crit is going to be a better throughput stat for you, depending on the average HP that your raid sits at during a boss fight. If Crit > Mastery, Crit is going to be better than mastery whether you are at 20% , 50% or 150% mastery, and you should reforge mastery to crit. Unlike haste and breakpoints, there is no reasonable stat priority where Mastery is better to 50% and then Crit becomes better after 50% mastery; both stats have a linear value. It's a theorycrafting fallacy to set "mastery goals". To properly min-max stats, you either go full mastery or full crit; there is no value in balancing them.
    Well, my logic and experience tells me that the hp of a raid fluctuates in a given encounter (as does what's more valuable - crit vs. mastery). There are times in a fight when stacking more mastery would be beneficial, and other times in that SAME fight that crit is more beneficial, and it changes from boss to boss. Obviously, I do not have the luxury of changing my reforging during a fight, nor between bosses. So...therefore finding a comfortable balance between the two stats is smart (and logical) So, I respectfully disagree with you that "there is no value in balancing them". I have found my comfortable percent for mastery to be ~50% taking into consideration my raid comp, my healing partner(s), our progression, etc. I also have an "arbitrary" crit percent I'd like to hit, at which point I'll shoot for more mastery.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    you moan about too much crit gear, but warlock sBiS includes a spirit ring. hows that for sucky itemisation!

I wouldn't say you need to stay around 50% Mastery, but I would say you should aim for 50% before investing in Crit. I don't understand why anyone would just stack one over the other. Crit is incredibly useful for mana return, while giving us more throughput. Mastery is arguably the better stat when people are low, but doesn't give us any longevity the way Crit does. They're both incredibly useful, and neither should be neglected. The only stat that isn't useful to us (anymore) is Haste after hitting the 871 threshold.