Necrotics vs Disc priest

Hey there!

I've been playing disc priest for a couple of years, and I'm not the best player out there, but im average with just around 2,2k exp in both 2v2 and 3v3. One thing that kills me as a disc priest and really makes me struggle in arenas (sometimes even in duels), is necrotic stacking DK's.

As a disc priest, you rely on a fine mixture of healing and shielding with the various spells, however shielding does not remove the NS stack, and they can keep stacking to eternity and beyond. The 25% reduced cast time is hard to counter when you are shield based as well as healing, but can only remove it with your heals. When they stack NS and simultaneously dump loads of amounts of damage into you, or your teammates, disc becomes the by far hardest class to play against death knights in general. And if you do manage to save your trinket for say asphyxiate, and you survive, you will still be going defensive because of hard pressure (through peeling), and you will eventually oom and die. In the long run, because of the discipline mechanics you will not survive an average DK.

Now, the idea is as simple as this: If you have a 100k stacking NS on you, why would it not be possible to remove 75k of that NS with PWS, instantly removing the shield, and still suffer the 25k heal absorb and 25% reduced cast time? In my eyes this would be fair to disc priests, but since this probably won't happen, i just want an explanation why we haven't thought of this/gone through with it yet?

Sincerely, Nycto
    Last edited by Nycto; 2012-11-27 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    its 25 % not 30 as you claim

"and they can keep stacking to eternity and beyond" . also stopped reading there

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like if you play against a dk team and this happened, you would instantly lose your shield and get bursted down in seconds. Id rather have the shield than less healing absorbed

Quote Originally Posted by Nycto View Post
    Hey there!

I've been playing disc priest for a couple of years, and I'm not the best player out there, but im average with just around 2,2k exp in both 2v2 and 3v3. One thing that kills me as a disc priest and really makes me struggle in arenas (sometimes even in duels), is necrotic stacking DK's.

As a disc priest, you rely on a fine mixture of healing and shielding with the various spells, however shielding does not remove the NS stack, and they can keep stacking to eternity and beyond. The 30% reduced cast time is hard to counter when you are shield based as well as healing, but can only remove it with your heals. When they stack NS and simultaneously dump loads of amounts of damage into you, or your teammates, disc becomes the by far hardest class to play against death knights in general. And if you do manage to save your trinket for say asphyxiate, and you survive, you will still be going defensive because of hard pressure (through peeling), and you will eventually oom and die. In the long run, because of the discipline mechanics you will not survive an average DK.

Now, the idea is as simple as this: If you have a 100k stacking NS on you, why would it not be possible to remove 75k of that NS with PWS, instantly removing the shield, and still suffer the 25k heal absorb and 30% reduced cast time? In my eyes this would be fair to disc priests, but since this probably won't happen, i just want an explanation why we haven't thought of this/gone through with it yet?

Sincerely, Nycto
    I feel you. I havent played disc in MOP but I did some in cata and when a dk gets on you your health basically doesnt go up again. The thing that kills disc is we are very tanky, relying on inner will DR, high armor with inner fire (for a clothie), and our DR cds like pain supp and PW:B. Necrotic ignores all these DR increases when it stacks (im 90% sure of this, but correct me if im wrong). Also like you said we heal more than shield so it rarely comes off. I have such fond memories of necrotic completely absorbing desperate prayer when im in trouble and dying without ever actually moving my health bar.

Dks destroy priests is the moral of the story.

Well, when u never get the chance to get off the debuff, because your "healing" is shield based, they will keep stacking, so of course on say resto druids this shouldn't be as much of an issue, but on disc priests its extremely hard.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thisnamesucks View Post
    I feel you. I havent played disc in MOP but I did some in cata and when a dk gets on you your health basically doesnt go up again. The thing that kills disc is we are very tanky, relying on inner will DR, high armor with inner fire (for a clothie), and our DR cds like pain supp and PW:B. Necrotic ignores all these DR increases when it stacks (im 90% sure of this, but correct me if im wrong). Also like you said we heal more than shield so it rarely comes off. I have such fond memories of necrotic completely absorbing desperate prayer when im in trouble and dying without ever actually moving my health bar.

Dks destroy priests is the moral of the story.
    Yeah, its pretty much the same thing in MOP. Speccing desp prayer aint worth anything either cuz thats pretty much the only good heal u will get off before you die :/

I'm surprised you survived the first necrotic as a Priest.

in order for DK to stack up 100k worth of NS on you he needs to spend quite a lot of time, seeing as each NS is about 20-25k healing absorption now.

But then again, i'm not so sure NS still stack with each other, as i don't play my DK often, and i rarely use NS when playing one.

From my warrior combat logs - i'm pretty convinced they just refresh each other, but i might be wrong. Can anyone confirm as i can't log into the game right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    in order for DK to stack up 100k worth of NS on you he needs to spend quite a lot of time, seeing as each NS is about 20-25k healing absorption now.

But then again, i'm not so sure NS still stack with each other, as i don't play my DK often, and i rarely use NS when playing one.

From my warrior combat logs - i'm pretty convinced they just refresh each other, but i might be wrong. Can anyone confirm as i can't log into the game right now?
    It does stack, and faster the better you are geared, and ofc depending on trinket procs and so on. Have had 150k's on many times in situations where you can't get away at all.
    As i don't play a DK myself, i only have the Disc POV tho, so the only thing im wondering is why we don't make the change to make shields act as heals when it comes to NS.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 08:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    I feel like if you play against a dk team and this happened, you would instantly lose your shield and get bursted down in seconds. Id rather have the shield than less healing absorbed
    Once the shield wore off, the healing debuff would still be there though, and then you would also keep the additional 25% cast debuff, so imo you would die faster without removing it, cuz you would have the ability to get off heals more quickly.