Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Planescape: Torment

I have a horrible confession to make, and I am more than a little emberassed by it. I've never played Planescape: Torment. I simply adore Baldur's Gate and play the series anually, and isometric RPG's hold a special place in my heart. Sadly, for whatever reason, I never even tried Planescape. I knew it existed, but I always put it off.

That being said, I'm tired of putting it off. I know I can purchase a copy at GOG.com, but I was wondering if the vanilla game is the version I should play or if there are any "enhanced editions" out there. I use quotations because I know Overhaul Games stated they wanted to do a Planescape Enhanced Edition after Baldur's Gate. What I am referring to is something like BGTutu that enhanced BG1. Is there something like that for Planescape: Torment, or am I good just going with the standard game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfect, those look exactly like what I was looking for. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never even heard of it, don't feel bad.

Deleted
    Enhanced version of Planescape have been mentioned several places - even in its wiki.
    Nothing set in stone - but if bg enhanced version is succesfull, Planescape should be next in line for a upgrade.
    Imo, its not that important with updated graphic etc - the games main strenght is story, dialogue and the bizar universe. Like BG, it demands abit patience for a modern gamer. Lot of text and quests actual needs to be solved (only questhelpers are online walkthroughs) - but very rewarding game if you have the patience.

I actual think i allso will replay the game and se if its still one of the best rpg`s ever made

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    You missed out. It was and still is the best story of any rpg ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    i also have bought planescape from gog.com (i had the original german version on 4 cds). there are guides in the forums there for all mods which are "essential". higher resolution mods (640x480 sucks balls on a widescreen lcd ...) and most importently the restored content mods. i would install the complete package.

the game is up to now one of the absolute best games for the winter months. together with the first diablo, worms and some old adventures. aaaaah the warm feelings of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Agreed. This game has definitely held that title since it came out. Anybody who hasn't played it should. It's super dated by now, but with mods it's still playable, and you won't regret it!

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I played it only because I got it for free with a computer that I bought about 11 years ago. It really wasn't that great.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Is it in the style/time of Baldur's Gate/Diablo??

I just can't get into those, I really wish I could.

Is it in the style/time of Baldur's Gate/Diablo??

I just can't get into those, I really wish I could.
    Yes, it came out right after Baldur's Gate and it will definitely look dated right now.

Amazing game. Its all about the story and atmosphere, little about the graphics or combat.

Sigil is just such a weird place, and the Nameless One is a compelling character with a tragic and twisted story. The music is both soothing and edgy at the same time, tingling with emotions and surrealism. And your companions all have an extremely complicated and multi-layered personality that unravels slowly over the course of the game.

Though the game does pretty much shoe-horn you into maxing out your wisdom right from the get-go, otherwise you'll miss out on a LOT of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Amazing game. Its all about the story and atmosphere, little about the graphics or combat.

Sigil is just such a weird place, and the Nameless One is a compelling character with a tragic and twisted story. The music is both soothing and edgy at the same time, tingling with emotions and surrealism. And your companions all have an extremely complicated and multi-layered personality that unravels slowly over the course of the game.

Though the game does pretty much shoe-horn you into maxing out your wisdom right from the get-go, otherwise you'll miss out on a LOT of stuff.
    Exactly. Don't expect great combat(I thought this even back when I first played it, the combat is very basic compared to BG or IWD games) and well obviously the graphics are rather dated now. Where it truly shines are extremely deep story, seriously there is so much stuff I don't think any game can beat it and the game world is set in a place where pretty much anything is possible and lot of weird stuff is actually quite ordinary.

10+ Year Old Account
    DL'd and played a SMALL amount last night. I really liked what I played. The graphics are actually better than I was expecting, a notch above what I saw in the BG series. The dialogue has been excellent though, and I have already been impressed with ways to solve situations without using combat. I'm really looking forward to delving into this game over the next few weeks. I don't want to rush it because everything I've seen tells me that this is something I should take my time with.

10+ Year Old Account
    A quick question to those that have played this game: about how long did it take you?

I've got a small window of time, but I don't want to rush it. I'm just wondering if its 20 hours or less gameplay or closer to 40-60. If its the latter I might better stop for awhile until I get some more free time (I tend to get OCD with games like this).

I love the Planescape universe - Sigil, Lady of Pain, etc.

For me the order of the games was BG 1 ( didn't get into it ) -- > BG 2 -- > ToB -- > Planescape -- > BG 1 (still didn't get into it) -- > BG:EE now. After playing through BG2 and learning the Forgotten realms / AD&D universe, playing PS:T was an incredibly rewarding experience - seeing all the connections with the Blood war, Haer'Dalis, and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is coming from a person with some Dragon Age picture for avatar. Why am I not surprised?

Anyway, I used the widescreen/HD mod for PS:T when I played it. I honestly just googled for a bit and found this guide http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.ru/2...ly-modded.html.

It was all good, until I saw the first spell animation. The graphics were broken and slowed down the game horribly. And after some more search in the Net I stumbled upon that program called D3DWindower. Apparently it emulates some antique D3D/Draw methods or something. That one worked for me well till the very end of the game.

Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe the widescreen mod still had some compatibility issues with my hardware/system, maybe it will work for you.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    playtime would be around 50 hours. more if you play it a second time because of all the stuff you will miss. also your playstyle is a huge factor. if you don't invest enough in wisdom and intelligence you will miss many dialogues and have to fight more, resulting in shorter (sometimes WAY shorter) and less satisfying encounters.

there are also puzzles, memories, characters that are pretty much impossible to find, complete or to get information out in your first playthrough. while the connection between the clues are evident most of the time, it is hard to fathom the magnitude of the interconnections. remembering back 40 hours of playtime to interact with a low lvl monster with an item you found somewhere and an ability you get from a memory somewhere else to get a MAYOR memory of your past selfes is just mindboogling.

so as a guideline:
    -kill nothing you don't absolutly have to. i someone goes hostile whithout anything you can do: get more wisdom. most of the time this is the case. wisdom above all else. no exeption.
    -everything you find, every item and information, can be importent sometimes. better be save than sorry. use your party to carry all the semingly useless crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Agreed. This game has definitely held that title since it came out. Anybody who hasn't played it should. It's super dated by now, but with mods it's still playable, and you won't regret it!
    Agree with this. Planescape: Torment is an excellent game with an excellent story and great character development. It has some bugs, and some loose ends but they are by no means a real problem. The Nameless One is an excellent character.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    This is coming from a person with some Dragon Age picture for avatar. Why am I not surprised?
    Nothing really wrong with Dragon Age: Origins. However Dragon Age 2, that game was a travesty, and shouldn't even be called an RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Agree with this. Planescape: Torment is an excellent game with an excellent story and great character development. It has some bugs, and some loose ends but they are by no means a real problem. The Nameless One is an excellent character.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 06:29 PM ----------

Nothing really wrong with Dragon Age: Origins. However Dragon Age 2, that game was a travesty, and shouldn't even be called an RPG.
    It's more that DAO was billed as the spiritual successor to Bioware's Infinity Engine games... of which Planescape Torment was one.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It's more that DAO was billed as the spiritual successor to Bioware's Infinity Engine games... of which Planescape Torment was one.
    PS:T is Black Isle Studios game, not Bioware's.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.