Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Actually, you made me think of something.

There were 2 arguments presented here.

1. Boys like to rough and tumble when they play, and we shouldn't try to change their nature.
    2. Boys are taught to man up and be stoic, so we should teach them to be sensitive.

The two seem kind of inconsistent. Is it a boy's nature to be stoic, or is it taught? Should we teach being stoic, or teach them to share feelings and go to the damn doctor and protest injustice against them and what not?
    Well I'm of the firm belief that we should teach both girls and boys to go their own way. Social pressure exist for both sexes, trying to teach them to be this or that will leave casulties either way you try to take it.

Trying to teach them to be the strong, silient type that just "does whats need doing" will not sit right with everyone, same goes for the opposit side of that coin, you can't forcefully teach someone to be the outgoing, loud dude that comes in and dominates the room. People are different. Learning to embrace that, and accepting it will go a long way.

Of course sociaty as it is right now doesn't really allow for such diversity. A lot of young boys and girls feel pressured to conform to what is considered "the best".
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-11-27 at 11:05 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

The thread title seems so sensationalistic that it's kind of hard to take seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The thread title seems so sensationalistic that it's kind of hard to take seriously.
    Someone took this thread seriously? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    So where have I ever said anything ever that was different?
    i dont want to derail this thread but you ignoring the very important differences between the "2:2" available choices, it seemed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    of course. the whole idea is to attempt to reach a better balance of masculine & feminine in society.
    Wut. Then you're trying to feminize men and masculinize women.

10+ Year Old Account
    they stem from or are a result of encouraging hyper masculinism & hyper feminism.
    There are many causes of hyper masculinism and hyper feminism. Removing the sense of competition and encouraging growth by means of direct challenge should not be one of them. People grow up entitled, because they've had the plaudits without the effort.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:06 PM ----------

i dont want to derail this thread but you ignoring the very important differences between the "2:2" available choices, it seemed to me.
    If we're referring to the previous thread, that wasn't about 2:2. That was a right I said should go to women as much as it does to men, it's not about protecting a single gender but protecting groups of people in a no-win situation for them.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Our ancestors would be rolling in their graves in they knew some of the petty bullshit we obsess over today.

Like honestly.... this is what our world considers a "problem" nowadays? This is the world we've created for ourselves??

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Actually, you made me think of something.

There were 2 arguments presented here.

1. Boys like to rough and tumble when they play, and we shouldn't try to change their nature.
    2. Boys are taught to man up and be stoic, so we should teach them to be sensitive.

The two seem kind of inconsistent. Is it a boy's nature to be stoic, or is it taught? Should we teach being stoic, or teach them to share feelings and go to the damn doctor and protest injustice against them and what not?
    No you see it all wrong. The boys have a rough nature that Society tired to harness by putting them in a Guardian role. Boys who are raised in a "productive" manner used masculinity and to be chevaliers and providers.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2012-11-28 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    That's bullshit. Men aren't violent nor are we unempathetic. We sure as FUCK aren't disposable (at least not in a modern society). Maybe men ARE more aggressive than women (I don't know, I'm not a neuroscientist) but that doesn't make us inherently more violent.

Last year something like 160 million men in the United States managed to not commit a violent crime. Men also tend to have stronger, more stable friendships than women despite our apparently antisocial bonding mechanisms.

Men just do things differently than women. Why the fuck is that wrong?
    You are going to have to pull some sources for that or I am calling BS on it.

Men are more aggressive that is a fact and another fact is that aggressive behavior is a leading tendency in violent people (both men and women). You don't have to be in neuroscience to do a quick and dirty google search. It is one thing to give your friends a hard time about something they did, it is another to do it someone you don't know or have not really talked to. If you don't know the difference God bless any woman you marry or children you may have.

Also a child's father should be the one to teach him how to control his aggressive behavior but if the kid does not have one what can he do?

As removal of "tag" and "dodgeball" in schools that has to do more with school funding than a plot to try and hurt young boys. Classes like home economics, leather working, auto repair and bunch others are being phased out due to lack in school funding. This is hurting all children and needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Actually, construction and the rail industry are some of the leading causes of workplace death.
    which would still be defined as "high risk physical labor" would it not?

which is the point of "changing gender stereotypes", right? making feminine traits more socially acceptable for men & vice versa.

On that topic, what about just pushing for acceptance of somewhat feminine men and somewhat masculine women?

I think it's a good point (as some have said) not to push individuals to be one way or another, but I'm not so sure that we are so accepting of individuals who happen to defy gender norms.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Also a child's father should be the one to teach him how to control his aggressive behavior but if the kid does not have one what can he do?
    Why should that be the case? Surely if we can help mothers to understand their sons, they can fill that role? I think this is kind of the point, we don't want to change boys into what we think they should be, we want to understand why they are the way they are so we can help them grow. With so many absent fathers, we HAVE to be able to do this.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Testosterone ain't worth what it used to be. That is for sure.

This is really symptomatic of a far greater issue imo. We are fighting genetics and evolution. The problem stems from how we live, which is a really huge deal.

This world is not meant to do what we are doing with it.
    It seems like the way we are evolving is quite natural, we are just adapting to our environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    which would still be defined as "high risk physical labor" would it not?
    They have more women in those fields than they do in mining.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

which is the point of "changing gender stereotypes", right? making feminine traits more socially acceptable for men & vice versa.
    shouldnt encourage it....

we should just say that there is nothing wrong with having different traits if people naturally develop that way

10+ Year Old Account
    When did this plague of MRAs hit MMO-champion. Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    shouldnt encourage it....

we should just say that there is nothing wrong with having different traits if people naturally develop that way
    well right now thats what we "say" but clearly its not true.

well right now thats what we "say" but clearly its not true.
    not my fault people dont follow through with what theyre saying

to me encouraging people to act the opposite is just as bad as telling a child that acting that way is wrong

just let people be and dont tell them the way they are is wrong if they dont hurt anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    not my fault people dont follow through with what theyre saying

to me encouraging people to act the opposite is just as bad as telling a child that acting that way is wrong

just let people be and dont tell them the way they are is wrong if they dont hurt anyone
    im not saying encourage one over the other, just *at all*.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    You forgot the sex offender label which is very easily tagged on a male with much less effort than it takes for a woman to be labeled the same, other than that you are right.
    there was that video of those 2 girls holding down a boy and stripping off his clothes outside in the middle of the day. IIRC I do not believe either of them had any charges placed against them. If the situation was reversed and 2 boys filmed themselves holding down a girl and stripping off her clothes do you think the outcome would be the same?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by karrad View Post
    there was that video of those 2 girls holding down a boy and stripping off his clothes outside in the middle of the day. IIRC I do not believe either of them had any charges placed against them. If the situation was reversed and 2 boys filmed themselves holding down a girl and stripping off her clothes do you think the outcome would be the same?
    Yes I remember that case. Police were quoted saying "Since the boys mother didn't press charges we can't do anything". Complete bollocks. Double standards is the one thing that irritates me to no end. It's the same notion where it's 'Funny' for women to lift up a kilt, but it's 'Sexual Harassment' if a man were to do the same with a skirt.