Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Seriously what the hell.

This kid is practically qualified for a BS in materials science.
    To be fair if i dedicated my time to stuff like that i fear the power would drive me crazy and i'd end up trying to take over the world, so for the sake of mankind i distract myself with video games.

You should all thank me for myselfless sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I feel sorry for her, fancy not having any friends at all at her age. All the kids her age are dumb fucks to her, she cannot relate at all. Everyone with the same level of qualifications are 10+ years older than her and dont want to hang around with a kid. She will have problems later in life I am sure, she has my sympathies.
    You don't need to be a genius to see most people are dumbfucks. You still carry casual convo tho.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    She's trying to build a better mouse trap.

There are already simpler, cheaper, as effective, non-brand specific methods for the purification of drinking water through the use of SODIS or SODIS+primary filtration. You want another cheap and effective way to purify water? Boil it.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    She's trying to build a better mouse trap.

There are already simpler, cheaper, as effective, non-brand specific methods for the purification of drinking water through the use of SODIS or SODIS+primary filtration. You want another cheap and effective way to purify water? Boil it.
    did you miss the part where shes a 14 year old participating in a science fair? even if her method never becomes anything shes incredibly bright and has a big future. a far cry from your baking soda volcano.
    Last edited by crunk; 2012-11-28 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I feel sorry for her, fancy not having any friends at all at her age. All the kids her age are dumb fucks to her, she cannot relate at all. Everyone with the same level of qualifications are 10+ years older than her and dont want to hang around with a kid. She will have problems later in life I am sure, she has my sympathies.
    Haha, that has to be the most cynical thing I have read in a loooong time.

And sadly it makes sense.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    She's a bad orator, but good for her anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't take this too serious. I'm pretty sure she didn't do this at home, in her room, without help. She is smart. No doubt about that. But she isn't god. You would be amazed about how many smart people there are out there. But life is hard these days, Not everyone grows up in a good family and with money and support.

IQ has nothing to do with making friends, although smart people often are socially awkward because during their life, they focus only on the one thing they are good at and not on developing a social intelligence. It's their problem that they are boring to other people.
    I'm considered relatively smart but never had this problem, because I developed a good sense of humor, so I'm not boring to people with a lower IQ.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-29 at 06:13 AM.

Deleted
    Seriously what the hell.

This kid is practically qualified for a BS in materials science.
    A solarpowered jug/thermos existed way before this fraud made a science project about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That's pretty insane. With the proposed solutions she's given, doesn't this deserve global fame, a nobel prize, something? Solving this issue is at least as important as curing cancer.
    Nobel prizes are usually reserved for something important, like discovering radioactivity.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    IQ has nothing to do with making friends, although smart people often are socially awkward because during their life, they focus only on the one thing they are good at and not on developing a social intelligence. It's their problem that they are boring to other people.
    I'm considered relatively smart but never had this problem, because I developed a good sense of humor, so I'm not boring to people with a lower IQ.
    It's generally more common for people with high IQs to be bored with other people rather than the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's generally more common for people with high IQs to be bored with other people rather than the reverse.
    It goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That's pretty insane. With the proposed solutions she's given, doesn't this deserve global fame, a nobel prize, something? Solving this issue is at least as important as curing cancer.
    Norman Borlaug is the most important person to have lived in the last 100 or more years. Maybe even history. He's credited with saving a BILLION people and most people don't even know who he was. This kid invented a better way of purifying water. It's a great feat to be sure! But it's not "international recognition at age 14" great. She is, of course, standing on the shoulders of giants and if this idea takes off (and I see no reason it won't) she will most certainly be deserving of praise.

I hope there's a Nobel Prize in her future, but this isn't it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's absolute bull. There's no logical reason as to why she shouldn't have friends.

Age is just a number. I could care less about how old people are if they act like mature intelligent adults even if they might still be kids.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-11-29 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    She will commit suicide at the age of 24 because she isn't getting the attention and high amounts of praise that she's getting now. A bit like that lindsay lohan skank, except she's not dead. Or in any way brainy.
    i was kinda thinking the same thing.

Deleted
    Indeed, I'm happy for her she got what she has, the smarts, we need more people like that, but it doesn't mean it will be all great for her. Pity though.

This kid's future is completely set. With the money she'll be making by the time she graduates college she'll be able to buy friends.
    Alas, I don't know her, she might be happy without friends. However, it's better to not have any friends then to have friends you've bought with money. Those aren't friends, those are leeches.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 02:33 PM ----------

Oh get off your fuckin high horse.

All of business revolves around solving a problem and getting paid to do it. Her future is set. There's nothing to feel sorry for her about. She'll make friends in college like anybody else.
    Actually the poster you quoted has a very good point. She made this to help have drinking water. Yes, she will get money from it, but that wasn't the main focus of what she did. And buying friends means you'd lack actual friends and be surrounded by leeches. Those aren't friends. Hope she finds true friends that befriend her for who she is, not for her glory or money.

This just in: your age doesn't matter nearly as much as people think. Most grown ups aren't any smarter than they were in 5th grade

What the fuck am I doing with my life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    This just in: your age doesn't matter nearly as much as people think. Most grown ups aren't any smarter than they were in 5th grade
    They're more mature though, which is why people around 25 years old don't connect with those that are 15 for example.