Poll: Is Video Gaming a sport

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It depends on how you look at it. Depending on the definition you use, it can be considered a sport. I consider it to be a sport, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    Most people do But then explain to me how e.g. "curling" is physically more demanding then e.g. Starcraft at 300 apm
    Curling requires a person to be somewhat physically fit and active, when a 300 apm starcraft player can be an obese 400lbs bag of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Archery and skateboarding would require athleticism. Darts, not so much. Snooker/Pool/Billiards, no.
    Golf?

Just saying... Sport has a requisite of skill OR physical prowess. You don't *have* to get sweaty
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Looking up the word sport in my language gives the roughly translated definition: Sport is a collective term for activities with an element of competition.

So yes video games can be a sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't consider video-gaming a sport not even a little
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

according to the wiki definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
    It is

If you include say snooker as a sport then yes. If you don't. Honestly I don't really care what the definition is tbh.

According to the definition it's a mind or mental sport but regardless it's a form of a sport regardless of what some people say it fits a category for sports.

No, it's an activity

It depends on your definition of "sports" entirely. It can go both ways imo. Should of made a third option :P

I suppose it depends on which definition you choose.

If you define it as: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc. The obvious answer is no.

If you define it as: diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime. The answer would be yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    absolutely not.

not even close.

and no, chess isn't a sport either.
    Chess is an official sport, just like shooting a gun at the olympics apparently was >.>

So by those stats i would say E-Sports is just as much as sport as the other things.

I always viewed sport as being physical, so in my opinion, no.

Since I consider shooting a sport yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    So I guess for you sport implies a physical focus, right?
    If you can't get a concussion doing it, its not a sport.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    If you can't get a concussion doing it, its not a sport.
    Hmm, I bet you could give yourself a concussion playing a video game.

Not an athletic sport. Which is the distinction being failed here by replies.

However, by English definition video games so structured can be considered as such:

Sport [spawrt, spohrt]
    — n (sometimes qualified by good, bad, etc )
    1. an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc
    2. such activities considered collectively
    3. any particular pastime indulged in for pleasure
    4. the pleasure derived from a pastime, esp hunting, shooting, or fishing: we had good sport today

no definition of "sport" says it has to be physical. playing Starcraft on a pro level is indeed a sport. mental awareness and the dexterity you need with your fingers is astounding to the average person that most gamers just take for granted. this coming from a ex professional athlete.
    The most trusted and reliable mainstream republican website: http://Dailystormer.com

Deleted
    depends how you define sport, if by sport you mean physical activity, then no its not a sport.

i would call it an e-sport, it doesnt need any athleticism, or fitness, but still requires skill and dedication to be at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not an athletic sport. But by English definition video games so structured can be considered as such.

To wit~

Sport [spawrt, spohrt]
    — n (sometimes qualified by good, bad, etc )
    1. an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc
    2. such activities considered collectively
    3. any particular pastime indulged in for pleasure
    4. the pleasure derived from a pastime, esp hunting, shooting, or fishing: we had good sport today
    The English language lost all credibility when it added "bling-bling" to its dictionary.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -