Poll: Is Video Gaming a sport

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You don't get grass stains on your knees so it's not a sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You don't get grass stains on your knees so it's not a sport.
    I think we had the same Dad.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Never heard of e-sport?
    An e-sport is a sport as much as an e-peen is a penis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    The English language lost all credibility when it added "bling-bling" to its dictionary.
    Language is malleable and ever changing. The boon of English is the integration of new forms of speech & communication.

It shouldn't offend the 20th century reader/speaker that bling-bling is listed in the Oxford anymore than "flapper". Or the still hotly debated origin of the word, "jazz".

Reflect on that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Reflect on that for a while.
    /Reflects
    +10char
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    according to the wiki definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
    It is
    "Sport is all forms of competitive physical activity..."

Stopped reading with the first line, and I completely disagree that this should include video games. Ok, I lied, I kept reading, but I didn't really need to. The entire opening paragraph constantly uses the word 'physical.'

For me, sports are activities that require exertion and control of the muscles in your body to perform well. This can be running with a football or using the correct force on the curling stone or wrestling some other guy to the mat. Yes, there's is brain power at work here, but it all comes down to executing physically.

Games, on the other hand, are activities that force your brain to work, like chess and video games. Yes, you do have to put in some measure of physical movement to accomplish these things, but it's a less important factor than knowing what the right thing to do is.

General rule of thumb: A sport involves some sort of ball like object where there is no limit to the score potential. (I'm looking at you bowling).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

So.... No.

As someone else has already stated, there is a difference between sport and competition.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    General rule of thumb: A sport involves some sort of ball like object where there is no limit to the score potential. (I'm looking at you bowling).
    List of Olympic sports 2016:

archery
    badminton
    basketball
    beach volleyball
    boxing
    canoe / kayak
    cycling
    diving
    equestrian
    fencing
    field hockey
    golf
    gymnastics
    handball
    judo
    modern pentathlon
    rowing
    rugby 7s
    sailing
    shooting
    soccer / football
    swimming
    synchronized swimming
    table tennis
    taekwondo
    tennis
    track and field
    triathlon (swimming, biking, running)
    volleyball
    water polo
    weightlifting
    wrestling

But hey only 12/32 is sports according to your rule of thumb, and that's including badminton.

Furthermore, The governing bodies of following sports, though not contested in the Olympic Games, are recognized by the IOC.

Air sports *
    Auto racing * (provisional from December 2011)
    Bandy
    Baseball2
    Billiard sports1
    Boules1
    Bowling1
    Bridge
    Chess
    Cricket
    Dance sport1
    Floorball
    Golf (will be part of the 2016 program)
    Karate1
    Korfball1
    Lifesaving1
    Motorcycle racing *
    Mountaineering and Climbing1
    Netball
    Orienteering1
    Pelota Vasca
    Polo2
    Powerboating *
    Racquetball1
    Roller sports1
    Rugby (sevens will be part of the 2016 program)
    Softball1, 2
    Sport climbing
    Squash1
    Sumo1
    Surfing
    Tug of war1, 2
    Underwater sports1
    Water ski *
    Wushu

If the international Olympic committee recognizes chess and bridge...

Quote Originally Posted by transorD View Post
    "Sport is all forms of competitive physical activity..."

Stopped reading with the first line, and I completely disagree that this should include video games. Ok, I lied, I kept reading, but I didn't really need to. The entire opening paragraph constantly uses the word 'physical.'
    And the second paragraph reads:

Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports,[4][5] although limits the amount of mind games which can be admitted as sports.[1]
    How can you cite a written encyclopedic explanation when unwilling to recognize and leverage the entirety of the article?

The defense of words includes all words, even the ones we don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think Bridge or Chess counts as a sport, no matter what the IOC says. And golf is questionable too.

Yes, they take skill, but they don't require any physical exertion.
    Putin khuliyo

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Esports, It's not physical but it's just as competitive. So... yes, yes it is.

Have you seen some of the events at the olympics recently? They are complete jokes and if they pass as a sport then competitive games definitely are.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I really don't think Bridge or Chess counts as a sport, no matter what the IOC says. And golf is questionable too.

Yes, they take skill, but they don't require any physical exertion.
    Idk, I'd consider golf a sport. That shit is tiring if you go 18-holes.

10+ Year Old Account
    My problem with calling gaming a sport isn't so much the lack of physicality but more a problem with deeming it a sport simply because there's an aspect of competition. If that's all an activity needs to be viewed as a sport then thumb wars is a sport, basically any activity where there's a winner is a sport. I just think there're more things to be considered, you can't really draw a line with a simple description of a sport without certain activites being out of place which is why sporting organizations have to state which they recognise in the first place.

I personally don't count it as a sport.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

It's what I consider an imaginary sport just like Golf,Nascar,Archery,hunting, while they share some similarities with Real sports they don't however force you to push your body to it's physical limits in order to win, so in my opinion pingpong is more of a sport than the ones I mentioned above.

But yeah real sports not only require one to have endurance/stamina but they also help one to increase their capabilities is those area's.
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-11-28 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It is a competition, not a sport. And yes, there is a difference.
    One of the few /threads I could agree with.

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 06:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Have you seen some of the events at the olympics recently? They are complete jokes and if they pass as a sport then competitive games definitely are.
    Name a single game in the olympics that could be considered a bigger joke sport than gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Videos games are sport.

BY DEFINITION!

also the arguments that "x" isn't a sport is silly. Just because you feel that something isn't sport because the exertion on the game day is not that of other sport doesn't make it not a sport......

No it is not, games are for FUN and it's a real pity that developers keep forgetting about that in most, if not all, online games.

it is not sport as classical sport, it is E-Sport.